Put your undies back on

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Put your undies back on

Just an FYI SCCA Pro has revised their driver's suit specs. I don't know if any amateur series will follow suit but some of them have in the past. I'd pay special attention to the last section.

http://www.world-challenge.com/files...s/WCTB5-07.pdf

Article 1.4.5.5, p.11: Change section to read as follows; “Only one-piece driving suits made of fire-resistant
material and certified to SFI spec 3.2A/5, or greater, or FIA spec 8856-2000, which effectively covers the body,
including neck, ankles and wrists, will be accepted. Only multi-layer driving suits will be permitted. Single-layer
suits are prohibited.”

Article 1.4.5.6, p.12: Change section to read as follows; “Fire-resistant underwear is required with all FIA spec
8856-2000 suits, and all suits with an SFI rating of less than 3.2A/10. Only fire-resistant underwear consisting of a
long sleeve top and long pants are allowed. Fire-resistant short sleeve tops and short pants are prohibited.”

Note: We have recently verified that the FIA requires long underwear to be used with all of their suits.
Therefore, the only suits eligible to be used without long underwear are suits rated to SFI 3.2A/10.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow...

Good thing I already am used to wearing such.

OTOH, if Club Racing followed every lead that Pro set, I know we would ALL be wearing HANS's now...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
OTOH, if Club Racing followed every lead that Pro set, I know we would ALL be wearing HANS's now...
We are all wearing a SFI approved H&N Restraint in BMW CCA Club Racing. I think would be an excellent idea for all Club racing organizations to follow suit, along with a mandatory center net which is likely coming next year to BMW CCA.

Now, as to whether SFI requirements are the way to go, it's debatable, but it's the only standard out there for a club racing organization to be able to hand it's hat on.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, PCA still doesn't even require a roll cage in a lot of cars! Most of you already know my thoughts on this subject matter... SAFETY is not an option, it is mandatory!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
LOL, PCA still doesn't even require a roll cage in a lot of cars! Most of you already know my thoughts on this subject matter... SAFETY is not an option, it is mandatory!
Yup.

I agree with you & Bryan on this.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

PHP Code:
“Fire-resistant underwear is required with all FIA spec
-2000 suits, and all suits with an SFI rating of less than 3.2A/10 
UGGG makes for an interesting balancing act, heat stress on driver all the time Vs a few more seconds of protection in the event of a fire. IMHO if you can't get out under your own power quickly (think Dale Jr in the Am LaMans Corvette your screwed. Now if you really want to be protected here is what to wear
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be a little tough to H&T with those turnout boots on !
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
PHP Code:
“Fire-resistant underwear is required with all FIA spec
-2000 suits, and all suits with an SFI rating of less than 3.2A/10 
UGGG makes for an interesting balancing act, heat stress on driver all the time Vs a few more seconds of protection in the event of a fire. IMHO if you can't get out under your own power quickly (think Dale Jr in the Am LaMans Corvette your screwed. Now if you really want to be protected here is what to wear
If Earnheart had been wearing longjohns and full length sleeve/roll neck vest, his burns would have been less severe.

Earnheart was not fatigued.

R+C
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Training training training. This is a matter of physical endurance and proper preparation.

You are effectively going to be working out in a sauna. Why only do it once a month?? Don't go play gerbil in an air-conditioned gym! I go and run after work, mid-summer, in the absolute crap heat. OK, so I don't live in AZ - but I train where I race, and I take it seriously.

As a result, in spite of wearing 3 (is it 4 now? Got a new Sparco suit, can't remember) layers of nomex, I recover VERY quickly when I get out of the car after the race. It's all cardio, plus heat-soak. Can't stress it enough.

IMO, if you're not working out and trying your best to continually improve your fitness level, improving your tolerance to heat stress... you may be putting yourself and your competitors at risk on-track, if you're so beat that you're no longer your sharpest, and making bad decisions out there.

If I felt I could get away with jogging in my suit and helmet, I would...
Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

SAFETY is not an option, it is mandatory!
Shouldn't that be a personal choice?

IMHO, the risk of fire is hugely overrated.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
Shouldn't that be a personal choice?

Having flagged races for 10+ years, and having seen a few big fuel fed fires, there is nothing I am more concerned about than a fuel fire.

my gas tank is in the nose on my 911... and I have a fuel line running to the fuel pump in the back.

maybe you have to see a fuel fire to respect it... I have a 3 nozzle fire system, and a 10# bottle. and wish I had a cel.

-don't confuse a oil or brake fire with a fuel fire...
go watch little E's fire in ALMS... thats what they look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGR0KWLs51c

its the only reason I still wear my full gear at every DE... even as shorts and short sleves are sometimes allowed...

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 05-11-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp

On a 95 degree day, yes. On a 1200 degree day, no.

Quick Reply: Put your undies back on