Sponsored by:

Right Side Nets in 911's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Right Side Nets in 911's?

Looking for ideas for 911s... to be in compliance with coming NASA requirement. Looking for pictures/descriptions for 911's up to '95. Has anyone done it? Descriptions? Pictures?

Thanks.

Mike
Porsche Racing Club #4
www.porscheracingclub.com
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Schroth setup should work.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Are nets or containment seats or both the best way to go?

Mike
Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 169 Posts

Either a halo seat or a net, i'm looking into an add-on/bolt-on halo for my Kirkey as there is no easy (or good) way to put a right side net in..
Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

they are a real PITA...search under a thread titled "sean's cage"
It has pictures of my install. John Haijny did if for me by welding an attachment point were the radio was. The other end attaches to the cage in two points. We used the Simpson net. I'm still trying to get it tight. They are not well designed and don't fit well in 911's.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

This is the Kirkey solution..

Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I went with the net thinking it would be safer (although I never found any empirical data one way or the other). When you consider how much the body moves in a big impact, I can't imagine that any of the halo seats alone would do much. Although the Kirkey setup that Gary posted looks better than most with those shoulder attachments. If I had to do it over again, I might go with the Kirkey setup. The net install is difficult and if you can't get it right, it won't do much good other than meeting the requirement.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

It's the only way to go (if you already have Kirkey aluminum seats of course). Isn't cheap at $450 but either is my neck! Still waiting to hear from Stable Energies about a 2nd door bar but I may make the NASA LRP race yet!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
This is the Kirkey solution..

Anyone driven with one of these monstrosities? I think they look like the would obstruct what little side view I can get now with the Hans. The other thing is how in the hell do you get in and out of the car? I am not 5'2" 100lbs.

I am trying to figure a way to mount my side restraint without cutting my carbon fiber dash. I may bag the right side net though if I could sit in one of the Kirkey's and felt comfortable. I have a Kirkey seat so...

Anyone going to be at MO or WG with this seat?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I agree it isn't pretty but compared to some of the wrap-arounds I actually like the idea of an open head restraint. I don't think the left shoulder will cause too many problems (with me - 6' 200) but i'll deal with it either way.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with a halo, I would DEFINITELY want an inside net. Just watch a little bit of HANS testing video to see just how far forward a body and head goes. An offset crash to the front-left corner results in the driver's body coming back into the seat when it rebounds at an angle that could easily put your head outside of that halo...the halo to the back of your neck would not be very comfortable. NASCAR requires the halo and the inside net and none of the series that require the inside net allow you to delete it if you are running a halo seat.

The inside net is on the short list of updates to make to our car and will likely be required in BMW CCA next season.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Not happening in my car, but thanks for the info.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Even with a halo, I would DEFINITELY want an inside net. Just watch a little bit of HANS testing video to see just how far forward a body and head goes. An offset crash to the front-left corner results in the driver's body coming back into the seat when it rebounds at an angle that could easily put your head outside of that halo...the halo to the back of your neck would not be very comfortable. NASCAR requires the halo and the inside net and none of the series that require the inside net allow you to delete it if you are running a halo seat.

The inside net is on the short list of updates to make to our car and will likely be required in BMW CCA next season.
Bryan - have you seen any testing with the inside nets? I couldn't find any that showed how to properly setup the net (e.g., where to bisect the body). I'm sure there must be some somewhere if all these series are mandating them. I'd love to see proof that they work.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

What are the problems associated with mounting the inside nets in Porsches? Most of the BMW folks are simply making a slit in the dash and wrapping the strap around the cage bar that runs under or behind the dash. If that's not possible, some are just welding a mounting tab to the firewall and having it poke through the dash.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Bryan - have you seen any testing with the inside nets? I couldn't find any that showed how to properly setup the net (e.g., where to bisect the body). I'm sure there must be some somewhere if all these series are mandating them. I'd love to see proof that they work.
I've seen a video in the past, but I can't seem to find it right now. I just went searching for it when I saw this thread.

Quick Reply: Right Side Nets in 911's?