Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right Side Nets in 911's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I have seen some examples on this board from a 944, and I have a bunch of pictures of BMWs.... many came from Joe. BMW's have different geometries. And the CCA rules for cages are different.

The clock hole does work in some 911 cars, depends on the seat height and seat and angles and what not. But many use that part of the dash. ANd of course it depends on what is on the other side of the hole to attach the net.

Joe is working on something with Schroth, so let us stay tuned. In the mean time I thought I'd see if anyone else had a neat approach.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Wow, here is the video that shows why a net is better than the halo seat. Yikes. Scary stuff.

click on "why you want a right side net" under the heading documents

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/t...age-nets/#2296
He actually BROKE the right side restraint with his head. I'm not sure what it was but it seemed, by the way it flapped afterwards, to be a carbon fiber or fiberglass piece. I wouldn't judge anything based on that alone but it sure shows the need for *something* there.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

The video is of Johnny Benson in an ASA race. You can see how "slow" he is going, and what the result is. Heavy car, immoveable object, lots of inertia. Probably under 40gs though. Doesn't take much. Note that at that G rate, an average helmeted head weighs 600LBS!!!! This is why those of us who "push" this stuff do so. Everyone should watch this clip over and over befor they think they want to go out and push their luck.

As for Sean's net, it is NOT ideal, but it IS properly positioned. As with a halo seat, the upper portion of the restraint should be roughly inline with the tip of your nose. You can look over it, and in fact do not even "see" it if it is in the right place. The straps are positioned to catch the head and shoulder.

Side nets are the answer for a 911. You simply do not have room to install a big halo in one of these. It is restrictive enough in my 944. In fact, I'm sure that the over-under halo design like a Kirkey will not fit in any Porsche without huge mods to the seating position, and a VERY short driver.

Sean, I have the solution for your floppy side net. I will take care of that for you anytime you like. No charge.
-----------------------------------------------------
Reporting Live from Brockville, Ont., CA.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Bump

Anyone else have some photos of right side net installation in a '74-89 911? And/or additonal recommendations on which right side nets fit better.

Biggest challenge seems to be finding good ways to connect at the front that is high enough. It would be great to see some photos of some of the different solutions that have been used.

Anyone get an update on what HMS was working on?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Here are some pics of my installation. The front goes thru the dash and wraps around the knee bar.
Attached Images    
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. I was considering going to the front cross bar also, however I think mine is a bit low for that. Once I get the net I will check this option out.

Anyone else?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine may be too low. But if it was any higher my side mirror would be useless. There would be no side view out the window either.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Good points. As others have said in previous threads on safety equiment: it is a balance of compromises. Of course avoiding accidents is the best safety measure of all and visibility is one of the key factors for that.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Mine may be too low. But if it was any higher my side mirror would be useless. There would be no side view out the window either.
My passenger's side exterior mirror became useless when I added in my HANS and right side net. For that reason I installed a 5 panel wink mirror and have been quite happy with that.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

My right side mirror is pretty useless anyway given that it is basically a piece of shiny tape. I have it set for the blind spot my convex interior mirror leaves. I can't tell what kind of vehicle is there but I can tell what color it is and I know where it is given the blindspot.

Quick Reply: Right Side Nets in 911's?