Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocono East, what a fun track day!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pocono East, what a fun track day!

Several of us (Rennlisters and other trackbuddies) went last weekend to Pocono East with PDA.

What a fun technical track. It really rewards a good handling car. We got to see NJ-GT monster modified GT3 in action.

See our blog for some cool videos:

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/

Very large cinerama triple camera vid (big file but worth the wait):

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...ican-hpde.html

It was an eventful day for me as I couldn't get RA1s in the right sizes, so as per NJ-GT's (illful l) advice I went oversize in the front with Nitto's (275Front! 315Rear). I had a leaking valve stem that made matters worse and induced a lot of of oversteer once all other 3 tires warmed up and increased psi while the right rear pressure remained low. Nevertheless, took the best out of it and tried to have fun in that process:

http://axisofoversteer.com/blog/movies/oversteer.mov

I fixed the wheel for the last sesssion, and despite the Nittos being wider than the RA1s my best lap times where 0.25 slower 1:12.0 vs. 1:11.75 from last month PCA event where I corded my RA1s, and I know could have run a couple of tenths faster.

Heard many times that the Nittos are the same compound as RA1s but it didn't feel that way as they get very greasy when hot at same psi, as the RA1s and ultimate grip feels a bit less. Also, I do prefer narrower tires in the front for better steering feel (245 vs 275) and more control on powerslid es

Last edited by cgomez; 05-09-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had my first two drag races with a couple of C6 Z06, so far my car doesn't pull on them and they don't pull on me. I must have the most underrated 380Hp.

Definitely the shaved RA1 are nowhere near the grip of the Hoosier A6. For the first time ever my PCCB get spongy.

A 200Hp Boxster generates higher acceleration g-forces in 2nd gear than my car in 3rd gear.

Definitely, that's the most technical track available in the North East. The steering only takes a break on the straight.

Does anyone here has the address of Lex Carlson (Moton)? I broke one rear damper.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:12 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
A 200Hp Boxster generates higher acceleration g-forces in 2nd gear than my car in 3rd gear.
Yeah, at any track, being in the lowest gear possible all the time is the only way to go. That's why racecar powerbands are so narrow and all the way up next to redline (so that you spin the lowest gear possible at the fastest possible engine speed).

You will be surprised by the huge time gains from downshifting whenever possible. Similar to the gains when you lower the R&P. AC's MCoupe was at a loss in acceleration with my 997S, but that's no longer the case with his shorter gearing....
Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 AM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you really push, that track is REALLY hard on the car. always in the top 2K of the rev range and lots of braking with little time to cool off.

Seems like a nothing track but it's quite a workout.

Make sure you check out CG's sideways show HERE!

Quick Reply: Pocono East, what a fun track day!