Cool shirt alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Thanks for all the info but I am looking for a refrigeration unit that won't require trackside maintainence (unless it breaks of course). I am getting tired of always having to get ice every morning and then making sure to replenish the cooler before each run.
Mitch,

You ran out of beer again? I told you at Sebring to get a better system! below is the NASCAR thingy that Dale JR. uses...
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mitch236 - that is one awesome looking car.... that thing looks planted to the road in that pic!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I am planning on building my own coolshirt setup. I noticed that CDOC has the quick disconnect parts, not the best price though. I will be hitting Home Depot or Lowes to see what they have.

I am not familiar with the marine bilge pumps but are these basically 12v submersible pumps. I checked out west marine is there an idea flow rate for the pump.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a cool shirt cooler / pump.

Anyone recommendations on a shirt size. Do you want one a little small or just your normal t-shirt size.

Lastly, has anyone tried the new hoodie thing that has cool tubes for your head. Do these tubes allow the helmet to fit properly. Do the tubes going up there get in the way of a HANS.
if you're looking to do your own setup, you might be interested in this.

I had planned on doing the same - found the cooler with pump & then hoses & the quick disconnects. The shirt held me up though and then my other half surprised me with the FAST setup which I love. Anyhow, if you're interested in the pump & stuff, pm me, they're just sitting in my basement and I'd like to get rid of 'em.

Last edited by kristap; 05-15-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Donjoy cooler on eBay for like $25. I hooks right up to a FAST shirt (and a COOL shirt probably). It runs on 110v so I bought a $25 converter to plug in the cigar lighter. Bought a $7 battery hold down to and a couple of staps to keep it in place. I've heard some guys convert the Donjoy to a 12v pump and wire it in. Mine;s worked like a champ for 3 years.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:13 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

This is great info. The physical therapy stuff looks well build and cheap compared to the race products.

So for a 911 is there any easy way to run the tubes from the trunk to the interior without drilling a hole. I am not sure how thick the two tubes are but it looks like the insulation is the thickest part. the other option is to strap it the back seat, or put it on the floor in the back behind a seat.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:29 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

My cooler tray is bolted to the passenger footwell. Passengers place their feet on either side of it. It would have gone in the back of the passenger seat, but my fire bottle is there. Plus, you want to make it easy to get to.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Tried creating ice blocks? I've known people to have great luck with creating large blocks of ice at home using tuperware that just barely fits in the cooler. Bagged ice melts quickly. I believe Coolshirt may even sell a "mold" sized to create block ice for their coolers.
This is what I was thinking. We have this "trick" to keep a Vodka bottle cool for a long time. You make it by placing the bottle of Vodka inside of the cardboard milk jug, filling it with water and then freezing it (obviously levae the top of the bottle out of the ice). Once completely frozen, take the milk jug out and you have a nice looking ice block with a bottle of Vodka in it.That block of ice with bottle of Vodka stays cool for hours even in sunlight.

For you cool shirt, if you make a block just about the size of your cooler, I'll quarantee it won't melt completely during the day.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

I tested my cool shirt alternative today at the track and it worked great. I ended up with an Opt-ice cooler and a cool shirt with the hoodie and it fit well under my helmet. I had to take off my chatterbox headphones, but the student one-sided works fine. Even with the temp in the mid 70's and high humidity, this made a huge difference.

I bought an Opt-ice cold therapy cooler off ebay for $60. This is a round cooler with a controller on the font that allows you to see the temp of the water inside the cooler and set the cool shirt temp. This just means that it will cycle the pump on and off to keep the temp. This also comes with the dry disconnects and 5 ft. insulated hoses. It mates up to the cool shirt no problems. Actually, a well built unit.

The cooler comes with a AC to DC adapter to power the cooler. I bought a cigarette lighter adapter from radio shack that has an on-off switch and also has a fuse built into it. I cut the adapter off the AD/DC transformer and grafted it to the cig-lighter adapter.

I placed the cooler behind the seat and was held in place by some bungie cords. If you are a taller person then you may need to find a different location.

The only drawback to the cool is the lid. It is just a slip on not a screw on. So I put one of those new super tough garbage bags folder over a couple of times and put the lid on. Then a bungee cord over the top to hold it. No leak at all.

Jim
Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I bought a Donjoy cooler on eBay for like $25. I hooks right up to a FAST shirt (and a COOL shirt probably). It runs on 110v so I bought a $25 converter to plug in the cigar lighter. Bought a $7 battery hold down to and a couple of staps to keep it in place. I've heard some guys convert the Donjoy to a 12v pump and wire it in. Mine;s worked like a champ for 3 years.
Which Donjoy cooler has an electric connection? I see one that is gravity fed...
Old 02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Which Donjoy cooler has an electric connection? I see one that is gravity fed...
You should check out the Opti-ice. It's all in one, ready to go and it's DC, so you just have to cut the end of the wire and wire it to cig ligher plug.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
This is what I was thinking. We have this "trick" to keep a Vodka bottle cool for a long time. You make it by placing the bottle of Vodka inside of the cardboard milk jug, filling it with water and then freezing it (obviously levae the top of the bottle out of the ice). Once completely frozen, take the milk jug out and you have a nice looking ice block with a bottle of Vodka in it.That block of ice with bottle of Vodka stays cool for hours even in sunlight.
In Mini sota we used to just put them in holes in the ice but that doesn't seem to work well here in FL. I'll have to try your method.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can I find Opti-Ice?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
Where can I find Opti-Ice?
http://www.opti-ice.com/beverage_pitcher.php

Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Kristaps pic in post number 48 shows the cooler with the electric pump. They are on eBay all the time. The wire plugs in to the side of the cooler.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...p=1%26fsoo%3D1

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Old 02-27-2013, 04:27 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

any updates on this topic? I see there are now shirts made of special fabric that absorb heat ...
so don't chill you out like a powerful aircon, but prevent heat exhasution

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...x-cooling-vest

Quick Reply: Cool shirt alternatives