Sponsored by:

Cool shirt alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Ah, OK, they didn't have that when I bought my FAST shirt.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find if you drive fast enough , start from pole and lead all laps , you really do not need a cool suit, a bigger Helmet maybe , but no cool suit...
Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how the Carbon X keeps you from burning up, but can be used as a Cool shirt....
Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I'm still trying to figure out how the Carbon X keeps you from burning up, but can be used as a Cool shirt....
Huh? It's a shirt made of fire retardant fabric (similiar to Nomex) that has water lines attached to it for cooling...what's not to understand? You have two choices: a cotton T-shirt with water lines attached or a Nomex/Carbon-X shirt with water lines attached...it makes sense to have the extra layer of fire retardant.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

CoolVest sounds like a good enough alternative for a street car application. Do they really work? How long to recharge? 30 min.? There is plenty of time between most DE sessions. Any good reasons not to start with one of these?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning on building my own coolshirt setup. I noticed that CDOC has the quick disconnect parts, not the best price though. I will be hitting Home Depot or Lowes to see what they have.

I am not familiar with the marine bilge pumps but are these basically 12v submersible pumps. I checked out west marine is there an idea flow rate for the pump.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a cool shirt cooler / pump.

Anyone recommendations on a shirt size. Do you want one a little small or just your normal t-shirt size.

Lastly, has anyone tried the new hoodie thing that has cool tubes for your head. Do these tubes allow the helmet to fit properly. Do the tubes going up there get in the way of a HANS.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy Tiger. I was just kidding...

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Huh? It's a shirt made of fire retardant fabric (similiar to Nomex) that has water lines attached to it for cooling...what's not to understand? You have two choices: a cotton T-shirt with water lines attached or a Nomex/Carbon-X shirt with water lines attached...it makes sense to have the extra layer of fire retardant.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

It's the BMW.. they are a bit ---- touchy...
Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 AM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Another solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pump-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I am planning on building my own coolshirt setup. I noticed that CDOC has the quick disconnect parts, not the best price though. I will be hitting Home Depot or Lowes to see what they have.

I am not familiar with the marine bilge pumps but are these basically 12v submersible pumps. I checked out west marine is there an idea flow rate for the pump.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a cool shirt cooler / pump.

Anyone recommendations on a shirt size. Do you want one a little small or just your normal t-shirt size.

Lastly, has anyone tried the new hoodie thing that has cool tubes for your head. Do these tubes allow the helmet to fit properly. Do the tubes going up there get in the way of a HANS.
I looked around and couldn't find the hoodie.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I use a helmet blower which I think is much better. The blower allows you to keep the visor down because it acts like a defogger.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
I use a helmet blower which I think is much better. The blower allows you to keep the visor down because it acts like a defogger.
Next year i'm due for a new helmet and i'm definitely going to look into one with a blower attachment, my head gets HOT out there...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Next year i'm due for a new helmet and i'm definitely going to look into one with a blower attachment, my head gets HOT out there...
Think about getting the helmet with the input on top as opposed to the side. The reason is that if you are (or plan to) using a seat with head wings, the side blower will get in the way.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Oh God, I can hear the "Rockethead" comments now...

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Re. the utility of cooling your head and it's impact on "core" temperature. Cooling your head cools your body. Cooling any part of your body would work to some extent. Cooling your head works particularly well because there's lots of capilaries close to the skin's surface. Blood flow is one way we move waste heat from places that generate it to places that can dump it. I'm not saying that cooling your head is better then a cool shirt. I'm just saying cooling your head would be useful. The scalp/ears is smaller then your torso, but the torso has fewer capilaries near the skin. Those capilaries are the primary way we dump heat. Applying something cold to your skin allows your capilaries to dump heat faster because heat energy moves in proportion to the temperature.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, I just play one on the Internet. No, wait. I am a mechanical engineer. <g>

Quick Reply: Cool shirt alternatives