Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR drivers are cracking HANS devices

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these are certainly not the budget-entry levels of motorsport... are you suggesting 'hans' had enough money to buy bernie's and whoever runs nascar support/endorsment??
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am implying no such thing.

It just does seem odd that a personal safety device would be mandated over another personal safety device, both with the same independent (re: SFI) certification.

If this is done for H&N restraints, then why is it NOT done for helmets (re: Snell) NOR harnesses (re: SFI/FIA).

Why doesn't the FIA/NA$CAR et. al. mandate a complete driver safety package (helmet, H&N, suit, harness, etc)?

As an engineer, I see no technical reason for it, so I am left to assume there must be another reason.....I simply do not know the reason nor rationale.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may have been a by-product of some cooperative effort and not necessarily an exchange of $$ or purposeful intent to own a market.

The FIA probably needed Hubbard Downing as much as Hubbard Downing needed the FIA. Subsequently the HANS may have been the exclusive because after testing and development of the standard it became a known quantity in an area that few knew anything about.

If there was no helmet on the market and one company developed one I bet it would become a mandated item....until the industry and technology matured to a point where there are other proven solutions on the market.

This may also be an indication that sanctioning bodies are comfortable with the HANS Device but not the SFI standard.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
It may have been a by-product of some cooperative effort and not necessarily an exchange of $$ or purposeful intent to own a market.

The FIA probably needed Hubbard Downing as much as Hubbard Downing needed the FIA. Subsequently the HANS may have been the exclusive because after testing and development of the standard it became a known quantity in an area that few knew anything about.

If there was no helmet on the market and one company developed one I bet it would become a mandated item....until the industry and technology matured to a point where there are other proven solutions on the market.

This may also be an indication that sanctioning bodies are comfortable with the HANS Device but not the SFI standard.
Bingo. Well done, sir.

Quick Reply: NASCAR drivers are cracking HANS devices