Sponsored by:

NASCAR drivers are cracking HANS devices

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I see no cause for concern here, but I am not an engineer. The piece did its job and it was a substantial impact. Am I wrong here?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
WOW, thanks for the shots. I didn't expect to see those ever. And for the nubmers. I thought NASCAR didn't release those stats.
Based on the names of the images that Greg posted, I'm assuming those numbers and pictures from a test at the Delphi lab as opposed to actual numbers and pictures from the Nextel Cup crash.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know when the cheaper HANS is coming out?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
PPo
Drifting

<warning - pure speculation>

From what I understand about Carbon Fiber is that it is difficult to design such that it is strong on all planes of force. Perhpas the HANS is very strong when getting pulled straight forward by it's teathers, but not very strong when the teather pulls the HANS with a twisting motion (side impact).

After seeing the crash on TV and I am not completly convinced that the HANS was designed for that type of crash... I am not saying it didn't help, but for a mutiple roll crash with forces coming from many different directions, there may be better H&N designs suited to this type of crash...

I dunno..
P
Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes
From the ABC article posted above: "I flipped my visor open and put my hands in my helmet to grab on, then I tucked down and got in the fetal position and planned for the worst.".

That's kind of an odd thing to do isnt' it? Wouldn't you want the visor closed during a wreck to prevent anything from getting into the helmet?
I agree unless this is common to hold onto your hemlet during a crash, it's really the only place to grab.
I hope I'm never in a situation to make that decision.

I've seen open wheen drivers say they cross their arms, grab the harness during a crash. Anything to keep their hands in the cockpit and away from the wheel.

I wonder if his hands pulling down on the helmet caused excess strain on the HANS? Just tossing this out there.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I wonder if his hands pulling down on the helmet caused excess strain on the HANS? Just tossing this out there.
I can imagine that would add any appreciable strain...we're probably talking 70+ G's already.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506
Hey Itc, you stated in your post that you try H&N restraints as a hobby. How do you do that? Do you have an impact test set-up in your basement ike the insurance car crash safety tests you see on TV? Just funnin' with you ;-)
No, I think that wouldn't sit well with the wife to redesign the basement.

I was the kid in grade school who was shown a glass and asked if the glass was half full or half empty and responded that it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

It's interesting trying H&N devices for comfort/use, understanding their design philosophy....but I think I'll (hopefully) leave testing for the REAL crash dummies.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
WOW, thanks for the shots. I didn't expect to see those ever. And for the nubmers. I thought NASCAR didn't release those stats.

G baker thanks for the pix of the failure.
I might guess that the shots are after a sled test. Are they? Those are big G #s for sure! If so was the device compromised in function during the test by the failure? It did crack but was it able to do the job during as it sounds like was the case in the real world "testing" Granted they are race car drivers and not structural failure analysis experts.

“Then came word Friday that Casey Mears' device also cracked when he hit the wall hard on Sunday. Initially unaware of that crack, NASCAR has since taken possession of the HANS and also is sending it back.
Mears said the crack in his HANS was in the centre and appeared as if the left strap had been tugged too hard. “
''In a hit like that it probably should have (cracked),'' he said. ''It didn't crack hard enough where it wouldn't have done its job. It just cracked enough where you wouldn't feel good about using it again.''

Last edited by kurt M; 05-07-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurt M
I might guess that the shots are after a sled test. Are they?
Yes. As someone noted, that's the SFI test.

If so was the device compromised in function during the test by the failure?
The head loads were higher than they would have been had the device remained in one piece--the additional strain would dictate as much. One would have to compare the results to those from a test during which the fractures did not occur to be able to put a number on it, but I suspect the increase is small.

This device "passed" the SFI test, though lateral load measures were high.

The fracture at the lower (yoke?) area was caused by a combination of compression and horizontal sheer, and can be fixed rather simply--though at some expense. Of greater concern is the upper fracture because it exposes CF shards near the carotid artery.

In a head-on impact the loads are distributed evenly over both sides, but asymmetrical loading in offset impacts will be substantial. That's probably the culprit.

A 3,000# design criteria sounds small for a high performance device. That's just north of a theoretical 100Gs. We're using 6,000# for the damper version (~3,000 for the Link model) and considering 8,000 for a potential revision--though the revision is not for strength reasons.

All safety components should be considered sacrificial. Whatever energy it takes to crack, twist, bend, stretch, fracture or break something is energy that probably would have otherwise ended up in your body.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...low/index.html

Here's some follow up info from NASCAR if you haven't seen it already.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:05 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

A safety product having a safety factor < 1.0.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Helmets crack after wrecks also. Better a cracked HANS than a cracked neck.

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

The next time I drive across a bridge and the steel bends, or the concrete cracks, I'm going to say, "Wow, what a great bridge! It was designed to break at a certain load!"
Old 05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbaker
The next time I drive across a bridge and the steel bends, or the concrete cracks, I'm going to say, "Wow, what a great bridge! It was designed to break at a certain load!"

So the bridges you drive on don't bend, expand, etc. and the concrete in Florida doesn't have any cracks.

This is the kind of passive agressive statement I was talking about that annoys many poeple and makes people have a general dislike of Isaac. You lose credibility with some people when you act like this.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Ridiculous analogy.

Quick Reply: NASCAR drivers are cracking HANS devices