Anyone with E46 M3 Vert.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

Phil,

Supposedly the 46 was stiffened quite a bit from the 36 and appearentley the 90 is stiffer still than the 46. Sounds like the begining of an SAT question.

On the Bimmer boards the concessis is the coupe is superior, which I would expect. I don't see or know of a better alternitive for a 4 seat performance car than the M3. Even thought about a 993 or 996 but want later model with 35k or less miles in the 35k price range. That rules out the 996 Cab (which doesnt have the level of luxery anyway) and the 993.

Jamie
Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 PM
951gaucho
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jford,
I have a 2002 M3 Vert. and love it. I also have the hard top and have used it on tracks a couple of times. I have also changed the suspension to Biltein Pss9, and love it. Definetly stiffened it up, but still streetable.
Cris
Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend has an '06 M3 6-speed drop top that i drive fairly often. Its a very nice car and is as fast as the SMG coupe in terms of acceleration, even with the increased weight. It also handles very well, i did not feel any strange characteristics with it on the street (off ramps mostly!).

The clutch does feel numb as others have stated, but have also heard that removing the delay valve makes a big difference.

One thing i really dislike about the M3 however is the feel of the gearbox. It literally feels like its made out of rubber and does not have a positive feel at all. I thought it would 'break in', but after 13k+ miles it still feels the same way as when i drove it with 300 miles on it.

I like the engine a great deal aswell. Throttle response is great in sport mode. It is really docile at low RPM, but as you reach mid RPM it picks up quickly. So quickly infact the tach dosent keep up with actual engine speed in 1st gear. My friend joked that it took him a few times to master the 1 - 2 shift going to redline because he has to shift at the 'yellow' line and not the 'redline' due to the lag on the needle. At high RPM the engine really screams (or should i say 'rasps').

My friend dislikes the car but i think he is nuts, i would love a E46 M3 as a daily driver and track capable car.

I would love to drive the new M-Coupe which has the same engine, albiet only 330hp.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:25 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 M3 Vert Also had an 04 M3 Coupe.

Tracked the coupe once, I have a dedicated Porsche race car fo that.

Coupe will be a much better candidate than Vert On Track. I had a full Dinan suspension on the coupe and would say that was Too soft for serious tracking And I would reccomend a Big Brake upgrade. I wouldnt track the vert.

The Vert however is a Lady Killer.

E46Fanatics.com will give you All the Info you Seek..

Good luck, pm with any questions I know the M's rather well.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:39 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

Rich,

Thanks for the input. Just pulled the trigger on an 04 Vert. 22k miles, 6 spd. everything but Nav.

Won't be tracking the M3 have the 993 for that...really don't seem to drive the 993 on the street at all. So...the 964 (which I never seem to drive) and the 540 go in favor of the M3. If this doesnt prove practical after a year or so will be looking at an M5.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Anyone with E46 M3 Vert.?