Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll cage door bars, knee bars and pillar gusset questions. (Answers in first post.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
This winter I installed a new cage in my car so this is my $7000.00 (instead of $.02)...

1. I have and continue to be very outspoken against Donna and PCA. I believe a cage should be manadotry in almost all cars and double doors bars are an integral part of the package. PCA club racing is a crossover between DE and pro-racing and they need to remember that most club racers are also DE instructors or students in whose cars we (I) have to instruct. PCA rules require the passenger seat remain, we damn well better have proper protection for any passenger. Donna, Bruce, etc. Would you want to go for a ride in a car with unequal protection for you as a passenger?

2. Give me one good reason we should not allow removal of the passenger door panel. Weight is not a reason as the bars often weigh as much as the panel and the car still needs to make minimum weight

3. Based on my research, different cars benefit differently from X bars vs NASCAR bars. Cars with fiberglass doors which proide little impact protection should run NASCAR bars. Cars with steel doors and factory side impact protection (i.e. 993, 996, 997) should run X bars and leave the factory parts intact. The factory doors are designed to provide a crumple zone and the X bars allow that were NASCAR bars would block it and immediately transmit all force to the main cage and in turn the driver.

May 1st was the opening of the rule change submission period, I would ask everyone to write to Donna and make 2008 the year of "safety" in PCA. Demand that PCA update the rules to require HANS devices, require full cages, require door bars, require window nets on the cage and not the doors, etc. Lets stop ignoring the fact that what we do is dangerous and we need to take every step to protect ourselves and other.

How would you feel if God forbid you T boned someone racing and killed or seriously injured them because they did not have a proper cage with door bars. Time to fix the problem!
Ed,

Go back and read the previous posts. PCA is allowing the deletion of the passenger door panels.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I think this car (or its twin) got a nice test session last year at Mid Ohio when Joey Hand had that horrific crash. I think it would be safe to assume that PTG does things the right way, even if it is hard to see those things in a picture.
Greg,

I'd agree completely...I have a bunch of pictures of Joey's car (& Joey) the following morning. It was amazing to see how intact the cockpit remained after the accident...although there wasn't any significant side impact during the crash.

Rick
Old 05-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Mark,
I was the one that was working with Donna and the committee on permitting NASCAR bars on the passenger side. It was quite a process but ultimately approved. She was going to check my car out at Road Atlanta but the full cage was not complete. It will be done for Mid Ohio.

Donna told me when the notified me of the approval that she would be putting something in the next Club Race News to the effect that they are now approved.
Jeff,

You have pictures of your cage / door setup? I'm thinking seriously of modifying my cage to get more side protection and this sounds like the right idea.

Thanks,

Rick

Quick Reply: Roll cage door bars, knee bars and pillar gusset questions. (Answers in first post.)