Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My track budget just took a SERIOUS hit!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 12:01 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Dell,

Now that the cat is out of the bag, Margo and I officially wish you and Kellie nothing but great happiness and joy now and to come.

BTW, I weaned my kids at Road America, and I cherish every moment they were up there with me, learning to hand me this or that wrench. Even for them, those days are some of their fondest memories of growing up, especially when my daughter was approximately eight years old and my son was five, we would take a go-kart up to Road America with us (yes, times were different back then) and my daughter would chase me around the track on the perimeter outside the track as I was inside on the track proper. She took great glee butting my son out of the way to she could usurp the go-kart via seniority and run with Daddy.

Two footnotes...

One, both my adult kids are PCA members plus a son-in-law (who with his childhood friend/track buddy drove all the way from Chicago in his 914 — his birthday is 9-14) to run for the first time at VIR. I really enjoyed my quality solo time with him, working to teach him how to get the most out of himself and his vintage car for his first event at this track (last one there in which we all we ran.)

Secondly, my daughter took my young granddaughter, now 3-1/2, to Road America as an infant. Now, the little one's favorite T-shirt sports "Daddy's Little Racer Girl" that we found at January's Roles-24 at Daytona.

As an aside, for her second Chunakah/Christmas present, we got her a 1957, aqua/white Chevy pedal car, a replica of the one in which I earned my college spending money drag racing on the streets of then-outer Chicago. Now she is the holy terror of both the basement and the neighborhood, outrunning all others. Must be in the genes!

I just got a call from my son who is about to buy a Cayman, so beware what you sow!

Margo's grandson is the next victim. At 17 months, he is already amazingly competent on his trike, going for block after block, his feet propelling him along at mini-super-sonic speeds. For his second holiday present, he too will get some sort of racer pedal car.

So, as you already know, Margo and I wish you and Kellie the best. Our only advice is to ignore all the free advice you will get (and you will get more than you want or need). After all, it is only worth the money you paid for it. Just trust your instincts and cherish all the moments along the way. Someone said that if parents and their baby were marooned on a deserted island, they would do just fine! BTW, wasn't it just yesterday that ours were in diapers? Damn those gray hairs!
Old 05-02-2007 | 12:29 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Congrats Dell!

My 3 year old son is a PCA member as well as a Rennlist member -- it is not too early to start!

Marc
Old 05-02-2007 | 12:33 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Funny thing is that now with a 9 month old in the house I finally was allowed to get a dedicated track car??

Congrats, it's the best job in the world.
Old 05-02-2007 | 07:45 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Congrats Dell!

My 3 year old son is a PCA member as well as a Rennlist member -- it is not too early to start!

Marc
That is so awesome Marc!
Old 05-02-2007 | 07:51 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Dell,

Now that the cat is out of the bag, Margo and I officially wish you and Kellie nothing but great happiness and joy now and to come.

BTW, I weaned my kids at Road America, and I cherish every moment they were up there with me, learning to hand me this or that wrench. Even for them, those days are some of their fondest memories of growing up, especially when my daughter was approximately eight years old and my son was five, we would take a go-kart up to Road America with us (yes, times were different back then) and my daughter would chase me around the track on the perimeter outside the track as I was inside on the track proper. She took great glee butting my son out of the way to she could usurp the go-kart via seniority and run with Daddy.

Two footnotes...

One, both my adult kids are PCA members plus a son-in-law (who with his childhood friend/track buddy drove all the way from Chicago in his 914 — his birthday is 9-14) to run for the first time at VIR. I really enjoyed my quality solo time with him, working to teach him how to get the most out of himself and his vintage car for his first event at this track (last one there in which we all we ran.)

Secondly, my daughter took my young granddaughter, now 3-1/2, to Road America as an infant. Now, the little one's favorite T-shirt sports "Daddy's Little Racer Girl" that we found at January's Roles-24 at Daytona.

As an aside, for her second Chunakah/Christmas present, we got her a 1957, aqua/white Chevy pedal car, a replica of the one in which I earned my college spending money drag racing on the streets of then-outer Chicago. Now she is the holy terror of both the basement and the neighborhood, outrunning all others. Must be in the genes!

I just got a call from my son who is about to buy a Cayman, so beware what you sow!

Margo's grandson is the next victim. At 17 months, he is already amazingly competent on his trike, going for block after block, his feet propelling him along at mini-super-sonic speeds. For his second holiday present, he too will get some sort of racer pedal car.

So, as you already know, Margo and I wish you and Kellie the best. Our only advice is to ignore all the free advice you will get (and you will get more than you want or need). After all, it is only worth the money you paid for it. Just trust your instincts and cherish all the moments along the way. Someone said that if parents and their baby were marooned on a deserted island, they would do just fine! BTW, wasn't it just yesterday that ours were in diapers? Damn those gray hairs!
Thanks Arnie, but just so you know, you not off the hook! Every track day at VIR and CMP I will be calling upon you and Margo for advice. I guess that's what you should expect from your paddock partners.

See ya in a couple weeks for 2 straight weekends of track time!!!!!

Just think......our season ending event at VIR in December will be the kids first experience at the track. Well, outside the womb at least. We all know that the kid has already gone off in a high speed spin off in March when the wife took the GT3 for a ride at the kink at CMP
Old 05-02-2007 | 09:10 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by LVDell
We all know that the kid has already gone off in a high speed spin off in March when the wife took the GT3 for a ride at the kink at CMP
She does know she won't be doing DE's any time soon .......right D? Congrats again. We'll have to get all the kids together at the track one day. We could do a Renn kids meet and greet
Four weeks in now and my boy still has us up at least once or twice each night. Sleep as much as you can NOW
Old 05-02-2007 | 10:26 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hey Congratulations! My 1st born is 18 already and it seems like just yesterday when my wife came into the kitchen holding a "stick" mumbling "it's blue... it's blue..." Once I figured out what was going on I hugged and kissed her, pivoted, opened the refrigerator, and grabbed a cold one to celebrate.

On March 30 I was "pit dad" as my just-turned-18-year-old participated in his first DE in my new 997S. I can't tell you what a great day we both had. I was snapping pictures and video of him making his first pass, blipping the throttle, etc. He did great. My 16 year old daughter can't wait!

Time goes by much too quickly. Do whatever you have to to stretch it out - be as involved in their lives as you can because your future time with them will depend on the time you spent with them as children. If you start out close, you will remain close forever.

Cheers!
Ron
Old 05-02-2007 | 10:59 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by LVDell
Karting Schools, Preschools, 529's, oh dear, where does the insanity end?
When your and your wife are dead and all your assests have been distributed. You thought race cars were expensive. HA!

Still worth every penny however.
Old 05-02-2007 | 11:00 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Oh yeah, give lots of foot and back rubs while she is preggo.
+1
Old 05-02-2007 | 11:20 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Congrats! You are blessed...
Old 05-02-2007 | 11:28 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Dell,

Congratulations, I am sure your life and focus is going to change drastically. Something about the innocense of a child is so amazing. Congrats to you and your wife.

Alex
Old 05-02-2007 | 12:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Oh yeah, give lots of foot and back rubs while she is preggo. I apparently begged off too many foot rubs when my wife was pregnant with the twins, and I will be hearing about that for the rest of my life.
Duly noted. Thanks for the insider info.

**note to self......learn from Todd's mistakes **
Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Big congratulations! Tell future mama the best, go in front of the mirror and tell yourself "I'M THE MAN!"
I'M THE MAN!!!!!

Originally Posted by 993inNC
She does know she won't be doing DE's any time soon .......right D? Congrats again. We'll have to get all the kids together at the track one day. We could do a Renn kids meet and greet
Four weeks in now and my boy still has us up at least once or twice each night. Sleep as much as you can NOW
Coming to the CMP event in a couple weeks? VIR the week after that? Now if we can get Randy to bring the kids as well we will have quite the "playpen" going where we set up in the paddock!
Old 05-02-2007 | 12:35 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dell, You stud. Congrats. Jim
Old 05-02-2007 | 12:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JimB
Dell, You stud. Congrats. Jim
Old 05-02-2007 | 03:07 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Dell, nah, Roebling this w/e with a couple other buddies is going to be it for me for a while. I need to give my wife some free time from the baby in exchange for allowing me time for my car/other extra ciricular activities.
Was thinking of the DE in July at Lowes then I realized it was a one day event and a Sunday running from noon 'til 8 pm.....can't do that Probably pick back up come the fall once it cools down. May try to come visit for a day at VIR if I know everyone will be there.

Quick Reply: My track budget just took a SERIOUS hit!