Sponsored by:

First DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM
dave1200
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Welcome to the madness. I live just outside of Charlotte in Marvin NC. I have had a 996, 996 Turbo and a 996 Cup Car. If I can make it into the July event as an instructor I will be glad to help you out.

I must caution you that your car at Lowes has an extremely high speed potential. If you can afford it, do try to get a roll bar (not cage) and also some properly installed harnesses. Then buy a Hans device to work with your helmet.

I am not trying to scare you, but the reality is that you have a fast car on a fast track.
-Noted, Thanks!

Im going over to the shop tomorrow to discuss reversable saftey options for the car. I had a chance to get some GT3 Seats and may just swap them out so i can put in harnesses. Harneses seem easy to remove for daily driving so money well spent i think.

Cant wait to go. Will be a great learning experiece.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Before investing alot in track parts for you and the car I would get a good full face helmet, and come to the event with a good learning attitude. You can add all the other thngs later, !st make sure you get as big a kick out of this as the rest of us. Start out easy, then you can slide down the slipperly slope after going home with the biggest smile on your face you have ever seen.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Before investing alot in track parts for you and the car I would get a good full face helmet, and come to the event with a good learning attitude. You can add all the other thngs later, !st make sure you get as big a kick out of this as the rest of us. Start out easy, then you can slide down the slipperly slope after going home with the biggest smile on your face you have ever seen.

Dave,

I think this is a very wise idea for a first event. You don't want to spend a lot of money on track parts for your street car. Buy an already preped car if this turns out to be sometihing you really like. The car will come with seats and belts. You may have to change driver's seat depending on fit. Then get a Hans.
Take it easy at your first event.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

wrt the helmet, I'd recommend buying it from somewhere where you can try it on before you buy. From what I experience when I bought mine, there is a fair amount of difference in fit and as a result safety and comfort between the various brands and models. I don't think you stand a good chance of buying the right one over the internet. You might pay more at a local shop, but it is worth it to get something that fits you right. Definitely don't wear any other special driving clothes (suit, shoes,...).

You will love it!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Here is a trick you can do with the seatbelt if you have electric seats (I would imagine a Turbo having those). Works even better on seats with memory.
Fasten your seatbelt. Roll the seat back. Make sure the belt is snug. Now yank the belt so the retention mechanism stops. Now move the seat forward. Your belt will be snug and tight around you.
It may be uncomfortable on the collar bone. I used those harness pads:

Usually ricers use them but you can use them with a real purpose.

Quick Reply: First DE