Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill Video -- Thanks Mark Kibort!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Great driving, Jack! Way to show those Panoz's how a street car can beat them on the track.

Now give up some secrets.

Do you brake for T5 with the bypass?

Do you brake or just lift at T6?

Are you using an earlier turn-in at T9 and trying to carry more speed up the hill?

Are you doble apexing the T14-15 complex or are you treating it as a late single apex?

Give us mortals some candy!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap, Batman! Looks like footage from the on-car camera mounted to Kimi's ride. It got the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Thanks for doing the work to share the laps with us.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
dnitake
Racer

Oh SO smooth! No pinching, no nothing. Did your car come with brakes? It looked like there was a blip at the entrance to 2 on the 1st vid? Can you comment on the race line for Turn 2. You're running it on the inside the whole way, no double apex. How much time did you save if you don't mind giving some of it up. Sweet. Can't wait to get back to TH. Thanks for posting...
Old 05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack Olsen,

Thank you for a timely post.

I am going to T'hill on Friday and this will be my bed time video for the next few nights, and then some.

When you tell "earlyapex" the secrets I will get them from him!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:23 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm sure there's still more in the car. But it was a pretty great weekend -- car and driver were in much-better-than-average sync.

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Now give up some secrets.

Do you brake for T5 with the bypass?
Do you brake or just lift at T6?
Are you using an earlier turn-in at T9 and trying to carry more speed up the hill?
Are you doble apexing the T14-15 complex or are you treating it as a late single apex?
I don't brake for the bypass. I'm flat on the gas in 3rd gear, coming from the left, heading to the right. I believe I get air, although that might just be the way it feels. The car lands on the right side of the track where the cyclone extension merges back.

When I run the cyclone, I have to brake for turn 6. When I run the bypass, I just lift. I assume if I gave up a little speed on the bypass, I might be able to carry more into the entry of 6 -- it's a compromise.

Yes, I'm turning in earlier on 9, and getting flat on the gas in 4th -- I don't downshift -- while I'm still in the braking zone. (It's the Miata line -- Dean taught it to me.) I brake a tiny bit before the 3 marker, with a brush, and then am back on the gas at the 1 marker. For me, it's the only way to get enough speed on the right line. I found that I'd end up at the same exit point for both turns 8 and 9, even with a wide varieties of speed through the corner. In other words, there's a kind of threshold you'd have to hit to go off of either of these turns, and it's higher than I suspected. Braking for 8 would put me at the same exit point as slightly lifting for 8. And by the end of Sunday, I'd learned that staying flat through 8 still put me at the same point.

Some of this is car-dependent, of course. My friend Tyson (in the 69 911) was having to use all of the new pavement on the exit of 8, even at speeds lower than mine.

I'm double-apexing 14-15, dropping down to 2nd for 14, then grabbing 3rd in between. When you use a little of the new pavement, you can make it more of a constant radius turn. Otherwise, it's important to wait a beat before you turn in for 15.

I just got sent some photos from a student. Here's my first-ever pole:

And in spite of all that Panoz horsepower, I was able to hold the crucial turns 1 and 2:

Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Oh, and turn 2. That's what Kibort suggested to me. It's the defensive racing line (which came in handy during the two races), but for my car it's also quicker. I carry as much speed as I can out of one and stay flat on the gas all way to a point right before the number 1 brake marker, then brake quickly, rotating the car, and either carry the rest of the turn in 4th gear or downshift to 3rd at the half-way point and power out to that track out berm before 3. The same line didn't work for Tyson -- his rear end would come around too much. But the combination of that and the faster turn 9 saved me 2 full seconds, somehow.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 PM
counttracula
2nd Gear

Jack,
that's a great video. According to my data logger the deep inside line into T2 works great for my track car as well (Lotus Elise). I wish, however, that the Lotus had more torque to stay in 4th through the T9 although I should try it first before complaining.

Also, I think Tyson had less rubber in the back than you so that may explain why he wasn't able to take the inside T2 line.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I have a pretty short fourth.

Tyson was down a size on tires (225/245 to my 255/275), down on displacement (3.2l to my 3.6l) and down on aero (I've got my big goofy wing). Two of those things would definitely make turns 2 and 8 less stable. And you can understand my frustration when he recently improved on my (old) best lap times at this track. This weekend was about taking back the lead, for me. I've got more car and no excuses. Fortunately, it worked.

Tyson will be a force to be reckoned with in PRC racing.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Video -- Thanks Mark Kibort!