Sponsored by:

Racing: What If I Don't Win?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing: What If I Don't Win?

The more I drive the more I think I want to race. I have been asking myself what do I do if I go raicng and don't win? Do I quit, change classes or just be happy trying? Not being competitive would be a tough pill to swallow. What advice would you give to someone who doesn't know yet or someone who obviously is not going to be bringing home any trophies?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Each time you race, find someone slightly faster than you. Not a lot faster, just slightly. And try to follow them on track.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Not being competitive would be a tough pill to swallow. What advice would you give to someone who doesn't know yet or someone who obviously is not going to be bringing home any trophies?
You will not be competitive from the start. New raceres need time to develop and learn to race and be fast. This is new ball game from DE fast. In the end ti is easy to "win" in an undersubscribed class. In a tough hard fought class chances are you won't win at all.

Racing at the club level however is very much a "how you play the game" vs winning and losing. Your goal should be to go out and have fun. Keep working hard and improve you standing vs the fast guys. Maybe one day you will be "fast guy too". Even if you are never fast guy learn to enjoy competing with those around you.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's an idea for you... Take a look at some club race results and see where you think you might fit in... For example if at Track X you typically run 1:03-1:04 and you see that would put you in the middle of the pack in your class, then that might give you an idea of what to expect. If, on the other hand, your typical lap time would put you dead last by a 50% margin, then that might steer you in another direction.

Here are the results of the CVR Club Race that ended on Saturday:
http://www.cvrpca.org/07raceresults.php
Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
You will not be competitive from the start. New raceres need time to develop and learn to race and be fast. This is new ball game from DE fast.
This is really really true. I spent 05 and 06 DEing with a GT3 and started club racing a 1985 911 in F Class this year (we were 30+ in that class at Road Atlanta). There is so much more going on racing than there is DEing. You have to find your own comfort level out there, be safe, learn how to co-exist with other drivers on the track, and then think about your rank in the pack. And keep in mind that some guys are unbelievably fast.

Take my word when i say that you will have lots of fun even as a back-marker in your first couple of races.

my 2 cents for all its worth.

Fred
Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advise. I know it will be fun. I just don't want to always ba a 'middle of the packer' and certainly not DALBFer.
Do they let you have lap timer in your cars at DEs in your areas? Peachstate does not allow it. Could they know if I have a Satellite Track Mate? Better question, could I hide it well enough?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

A beginner's misconception is that the winning car is also the fastest car. Racing incorporates a whole set of strategic skills (manipulating traffic, defending, playing a mental chess game with your competition) that aren't involved in time trialing or open tracking. A good driver in a slower car will use traffic (and other factors) in order to beat a 'faster' car.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

LOL, what if you race and don't win???

You'll be in the same category as most of us and most other racers out there!!!

There'll always be someone faster.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is so much fun regardless of whether you win. You just have to try to find out.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

you lose?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
you lose?
I came in first in class in my first PCA club race

of course, I was the only one in my class, but I don't like to talk about that too much

Old 04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
A beginner's misconception is that the winning car is also the fastest car. Racing incorporates a whole set of strategic skills (manipulating traffic, defending, playing a mental chess game with your competition) that aren't involved in time trialing or open tracking. A good driver in a slower car will use traffic (and other factors) in order to beat a 'faster' car.
+1 for this...

In my 2nd to last race I passed another to get 4th instead of 5th just because I was aware and in the right place at the right time. I was chasing a car 4-5 car lengths in front. I just was never able to close the gap enough to try to pass, but I stayed with it. They 2 laps before the finish my competition was 3/4 of a shortish straight away in front and almost out of view. Well they he ran into the slower lap traffic. Because he was so far in front he figured to take it easy rather than press a pass. Bad move on his parts since it slowed him down alot and the next part of the lap was really non-passing area. Plus it killed him momentum. I could just see this happen and figured it was my chance... maybe. So as I closed to gap had faster car lapping me and just at the right time I let him through with a minimum of lost speed and we both closed hard on my class competition who was still behind the lap car. At the right time the faster car in front of me stuck his nose in for the pass of the now two slower cars in front. Well I was coming behind with a head of steam as my competition open the door for the fast car I followed right along before he could shut the door and we went side by side in the next two corners and then I used the still in front slower car to pic my competition to pull out in front. I came from seconds back in span of 3/4 of a mile to make the pass of car I could not quite run down all race. Good luck yes, but also heads-up raicing to see my one shot and take advantage.

So racing is not just about cutting fast laps.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm wondering what I'll do IF I win......should I quit so I can go out on a high note?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I came in first in class in my first PCA club race

of course, I was the only one in my class, but I don't like to talk about that too much

2nd place did not sign up for the race after they found out TD was racing!

Funnything is that I have earned a Poduim finish at least in every PCA race I have done in GT4S. I have won over 50% of these races too. So who says a 134 whp /2600lbs car can't win GT4S.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:58 PM
cdbtx
Pro

In my 2nd year of racing and this is the one sport that I listened to people with experience. Racing takes seat time - I video tape all my races and focus on being smooth without worrying about speed. Some people have a knack for racing - some people it takes time (me). I've also picked a group of racers that I run with well and have a great time running nose to nose with them. Saturday was my first DNF as a result of a CNS (Could Not See (Car in front of me blew an oil line and gave me an oil bath) - Oh Well, Sunday had my first 2nd place finish. Seat time - finishing the race, and simply having a great time is what it's all about for me. The more I race - the more I learn about my car and finally after 1 1/2 years I able to actually feel the difference when I change tire pressure or make changes to the car...

Chuck

83 Kiln Red 928S

Quick Reply: Racing: What If I Don't Win?