Old 04-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts
Unhappy RIP: why street racing & speeding is moronic

And often fatal. Look at where the speedometer is stuck: 112 MPH

http://www.ppbb.com/scgi-bin/boards/...l?read=1198088

Man dies after 3-vehicle wreck

An Austin man died Thursday after the car he was driving collided with two pickups in western Travis County, a Texas Department of Public Safety official said.

Jack Griffith, 41, was traveling west at a high speed on FM 2244 between West Lake Hills and Bee Cave just after 1:30 p.m. when he lost control of his car and hit an eastbound GMC pickup driven by William Jackson, 42, of Austin, DPS communications operator Analisa Guerra said. Then the car collided with an eastbound Ford pickup driven by Cutberto Segura, 29, of Austin, Guerra said.

Griffith was taken to Brackenridge Hospital, where he died.

Jackson, Segura, and two passengers in the Ford — Oscar Anjeles, 24, and Armando Carrillo, 31 — were taken to St. David's Hospital, and all were in stable condition, Guerra said.

Everyone involved in the crash was wearing a seat belt, Guerra said.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:50 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like he had racing seats and harnesses. Amazing how little is left of the car.
After driving on the track I have no desire to drive at excess speeds on the street. There are groups of RLers who get together to do mountain runs around here. I did it once, then promptly signed up for my first DE. Never went back again. Very unsafe for driver and other motorists to push a car on a public road. More track time I get less I want a fast street car. Can't use it.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I am just glad that this dipschit only killed himself with his recklessness, and not anyone else.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Condolences to his family.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks I emailed this out to some of my son's friends that race every Sat night on the streets!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 05:24 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Let's hope he didn't breed. What a moron.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So sad, I don't think we need to bash the guy, accidents happen to good people. I understand that he made a mistake and paid dearly for it, but do we really need to curse him out?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Dan, let me be as clear as I can for you: this man was egregiously speeding on a public road in heavy traffic on a Friday afternoon, and caused a major accident. He put others in the hospital (thankfully not with fatal injuries) because he took their lives in his arrogant, selfish hands.

How would you feel if he had plowed into oncoming traffic at 112 MPH....into your wife & kids?

Speeding like this belongs on the race track, and no where else.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

oh i concur that he was stupid

Just felt like I'd play devils advocate and try to limit the name calling....
Old 04-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dan, let me be as clear as I can for you: this man was egregiously speeding on a public road in heavy traffic on a Friday afternoon, and caused a major accident. He put others in the hospital (thankfully not with fatal injuries) because he took their lives in his arrogant, selfish hands.

How would you feel if he had plowed into oncoming traffic at 112 MPH....into your wife & kids?

Speeding like this belongs on the race track, and no where else.
Everyone makes mistakes, he paid dearly and no one else died. Do you you have teenage kids? Would you say the same thing if this was your brother? If this man's son sees what you've written do you think he'd be happy?

So easy to curse when your sitting in front of a computer. He was stupid doing those speeds but you're a D#$% and probably one of those "instructors" that never raced...
Old 04-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Defending this moron? He was a 41 year old man, not a teenager, and he has people in the hospital that are listed a "stable", so we don't know how badly their lives have been changed. I guess they deserved it for being in his way? Maybe his Mother caused him to act this way when he was growing up....hell, it can't be his fault, right? One less moron on the roads. He is the only one who won't be paying dearly going forward.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:01 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing 112 mph on a road occupied by other traffic is no more of an accident than drunk driving. He was going fast enough to lose control in a Lotus. He put other people in the hospital and I'm sure their families wouldn't feel bad if others called this guy a moron. At 41, this guy should have had more sense than a teenager.

Do you feel bad for drunk drivers also?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Defending this moron? He was a 41 year old man, not a teenager, and he has people in the hospital that are listed a "stable", so we don't know how badly their lives have been changed. I guess they deserved it for being in his way? Maybe his Mother caused him to act this way when he was growing up....hell, it can't be his fault, right? One less moron on the roads. He is the only one who won't be paying dearly going forward.
I'm with you Bull, my guess is the people he put in the hospital will be paying for his stupidity for the rest of their lives one way or another. Public road racing is for idiots, period.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:28 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess the extra 400 lbs in the new Elise didn't stop it ftom going under the other car. I'm against street racing too, but honestly, haven't all of us done 112mph on a public road at some time in our lives?
There have been many times I've looked back on something I did, and said to myself, "that was pretty stupid". Hopefully, as we grow older, it happens less. There are guys on this board who have posted attempts at top end runs on public roads- 150 and above is in a whole nother league of crazy.
Wasn't this in Texas? Some of those highways are so flat and straight that the average speed is well over 80- by everyone in a Suburban.
It's a bad accident, stupid mistake, and extreme misfortune. But before we lambast this poor sucker, start by saying you have NEVER driven 112mph on a public road. I can't say that. AS

Quick Reply: RIP: why street racing & speeding is moronic