Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:17 AM
jstevens
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver’s Education Event **must read**

I thought this was a great idea...

PCA Alabama Region’s “Summer Driver’s Education Event”

Porsche Club of America, Alabama Region invites you to join us for a great weekend of Driver’s Education at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama on June 16-17, 2007.

Yes, this is an EVENT. Barber Motorsports Park is one of the world’s premier racing facilities. Randy Pobst and Ian Baas are world class drivers. APR Tuned is a world class shop announcing its entry into the Porsche world. Test and sharpen your skills in a controlled and now user friendly environment with Randy and Ian. Speak with the APR representatives about their products and services. Spread the word and bring other Porsche owners who have not yet enjoyed DE. Camping is included with optional electrical hook up. Gates will open Friday June 15th at 7:00PM for early registration and tech. The Gates will remain open till Sunday June 17th at 7:00PM. Hope to see you there.

Registration online at: http://ala.pca.org/

Taste of the Track Program

This program allows you as a PCA member or non-member who have never experienced high performance driver’s education to learn more about DE without driving your own Porsche. If you’re not sure about DE and want to experience it, you can be a passenger in an approved instructor’s Porsche. Do you have a spouse or friends not sure about DE? Invite other Porsche owners who have never attended a DE – this is sure to get them more involved with your Regional DE in the future. How about a ride with Randy Pobst in one of his cars? Just pay a modest entry fee of $20 and complete a Taste of the Track application at the track. Program description and application are both located in the PCA docs library. If you want, you can print it, complete it and bring it with you. We’ll have extra applications on hand.

DE Instruction

Ian Baas may be available to ride along with you in your Porsche as your instructor. All students registered for DE will automatically be entered into a drawing and a select few winners will have the opportunity to take along Ian Baas as your instructor in one of your run group sessions.

Chalk Talk

Randy Pobst and Ian Baas will also conduct a special chalk talk session. Do you have questions about sensory input, braking, corner entry, corner exit, etc.? Randy and Ian will answer your questions and provide insights into the driving experience.

APR Tuned

APR has successfully supported Audi and VW for several years and received international recognition for its quality products and service. Now APR is offering their support to the Porsche world. They are building a new 40,000 Sq. Ft. facility with test track in Auburn, Alabama. APR is responsible for Randy and Ian attending this event. They’ll be with us all weekend to help you get acquainted with their services to enhance the performance of your Porsche.

About Randy Pobst

Randy first began competing in 1977, at age nineteen: "I saw an advertisement for the Indian River Sports Car Club autocross event at a local mall in Melbourne, Florida. First, I just went and watched two events. The third event I took my Datsun 510 out to try my hand at it, and I won, beating the class champion."

From those humble beginnings grew one of the most successful sports car careers of any American driver. With over sixty professional wins and three professional Championships, Randy has secured his place as one of the top sports car drivers in the world.

Among Randy’s 50+ Professional race wins:

6 International GT Level Victories

6 World Challenge

4 Grand Am Rolex Series

19 Grand Am Cup (and predecessors)

5 North American Touring Car Championship

About Ian Baas

"Ever since I was a kid, going to my first race with my Grandpa, I've known I was going to drive race cars full time." Since the age of 18 Ian has been racing and succeeding in formula cars as well as GT cars.

*2007 Ian will once again be racing primarily in America. He teamed up with At Speed Motorsports to drive a Porsche GT3 Cup in most of the 12 races in the Grand American Sportscar Series.

* 2006 Ian began the season on high note by Winning the GT class in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona with TPC racing in the #36 Ajilon Consulting Porsche GT3 cup alongside Randy Probst, and reached the podium two more times at Watkins Glen 6Hr. and VIR 250. Ian's full season ride was in the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland with Farnbacher Racing. Living with the team in Germany

* 2005 Ian competed with the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) driving for Alex Job racing, four time defending champions. Ian drove the #24 911 GT3 RSR alongside road racing veteran Randy Probst for 5 of the 10 races. The other 5 races, Ian drove with veteran driver, Darren Law. Ian finished 2nd at both Mosport and Atlanta's Petit LeMans.

Additional Information

www.barbermotorsportspark.com

www.randypobst.com

www.ianbaas.com

www.goapr.com

www.pca.org

http://ala.pca.org

Last edited by jstevens; 05-04-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

That track ROCKS. I will be there over Memorial Day instructing. I have loved racing there!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Didn't you say something in a previous post about track damage insurance being provided by your Club. $200.00 deductable? Still hold true? This ins. and the pro drivers do sweeten the pot. Doing Road Atl the week before but, I may just have to try my hand at back to back track weekends.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
jstevens
Track Day

Randy,
Yes.... We are self insuring (200 deductible) and the track will be open all weekend for camping. This is a policy the Alabama PCA has adopted two events ago and will continue to offer in the future. This is the first time anything like this (having professional drivers instruct) has been offered and we are very excited about it. I hope you can make it!!

I also hope people that have not taken the "plunge" in track driving will take advantage of the Taste of the Track Program.

Quick Reply: Driver’s Education Event **must read**