Sponsored by:

Raikkonen Under Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
That's correct. Nico has German mother & Finnish father, he used to race under Finnish licence but nowadays races under German licence.
Don't talk Finnish either.

Kovalainen actually spends often (for a F1 driver that's not actually too often...) in Finland and in a little town he is from.
I'm starting to think Keke is behind all drivers soon. That guy seems to have great connections with the teams and FIA.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:07 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Q & A with Kimi Raikkonen

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, May 10th 2007, 15:29 GMT

Q. If you had to rate how confident you have been with the car this season, how would you?

Kimi Raikkonen: I don't know. It is not easy. I think the first race was the best one, the car was the nicest but then the last race in Bahrain it was quite difficult. Here after the test we have found something so hopefully here it works, but you never know. It is completely different weather again. I am pretty sure it is better but you never know until you get in the racing, and then qualifying.

Q. After three races, how would you describe your relationship with Felipe Massa?

KR: It is the same. We have a good relationship. Of course we race against each other, but we have a good atmosphere in the team and that is the main thing.

Q. So is he your teammate or your opponent?

KR: He is both.

Q. You were very positive after the last test here. You said that finally the car was handling the way you wanted it. What is the big difference now with the car compared to what it was in Bahrain?

KR: We have some new parts. New aerodynamic stuff, new front end slightly and we have found a better set-up overall. That is the biggest difference. It is more like I want to drive it. So I can to drive it like I used to. Before I was driving as the car was going best for me, but it wasn't really what I wanted to do. So hopefully now it is better.

Q. Fernando Alonso has said that it is not a championship for four people, it is a championship for two - himself and you. What do you think about that?

KR: It doesn't look like it exactly. I think you never know. It is going to be a long season and for sure I don't think it is going to last like this all year. For sure something is going to happen to some drivers and then probably they will lose too many points to get back in the game any more. For sure now it looks very close and I cannot really say what is going to happen in the future. But hopefully we can come out on top.

Q. Michael Schumacher is coming to the circuit for the first time this season. Any feelings on that?

KR: He is coming as he is still involved in the team. He will try and help the team go forward, so I think this is why he is coming. I think it will only be a positive thing.

Q. Do you expect Lewis Hamilton to stay in the hunt for the world championship?

KR: Like I said, I don't know what is going to happen in the next races. Nobody knows. So far he is been doing great work, so he might be the worst enemy for us. He might be up there all year, or maybe not. Maybe we are, maybe not. I don't know. Let's see what happens.

Q. Do you like the chicane after they changed the final two corners on the track?

KR: I think the last circuit was nicer, even though it was maybe more dangerous. It was more fun in a way. It was good to have a go and try and make it easier to overtake, but I don't think it is going to make it an awful lot easier. Hopefully it makes it, but looking at the test it still wasn't easy if the other guy doesn't make a mistake.

Q. On Michael's visit, how can he help the team? What kind of role can he do to help you this weekend?

KR: Like I said, he is here to help the team. Hopefully he has much more time to look at what the other teams are doing and comes up with some ideas. That is the way he is approaching the weekend and naturally he is not coming to us to tell us how to drive the cars. It has never been the thing why he is here. You need to really ask himself or the team, I am not here to answer those questions.

Q. Now that you are racing alongside Massa, is he better than you expected?

KR: I knew that he was good. You never know how it is going to go in the racing but I think it is what I expected.

Q. As a Ferrari driver have you changed your way of working?

KR: Not really. I think every team has a different way of working and different schedules – things like that. So I am doing the same things I did before, but it is just a different style.

Q. It has been suggested that one of the areas you have improved the car from your point of view it to use the new tyres better. Is that true?

KR: I think so. Our weakest point has been the qualifying and the race has never been such a big problem. But with the new tyres, if you don't get to the front in qualifying then it is hard to do much after that. So for sure that is where we want to improve and hopefully that will happen.

Q. Are you in a position where if Michael says, 'I think we should do this...' you have to listen to him, or is it much more of a committee process where you all have an input?

KR: I think I still drive the car, and I do with my engineers what I want.

Q. So no?

KR: (shrugs shoulders).
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default FERRARI TO FOCUS ON RELIABILITY

Ferrari vow to focus on reliability

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Sunday, May 13th 2007, 18:18 GMT

Ferrari's technical director Mario Almondo says the Italian squad need to focus on solving their reliability issues following Kimi Raikkonen's retirement from the Spanish Grand Prix.

Brazilian Felipe Massa dominated the Barcelona race from pole position, but Raikkonen's day finished after only 11 laps after suffering a problem in the wiring to the alternator of his F2007 car.

The retirement, the first of the season for Ferrari, meant Raikkonen, tied at the top of the championship table before today's race, is now eight points behind leader Lewis Hamilton.

Almondo admitted that Ferrari were very happy with their level of performance, but less so with their reliability.

"I think that our level of performance, particularly in terms of pace and during the race is very, very good," said Almondo after the race. "We are satisfied about that.

"We are, of course, much less satisfied about our level of reliability that we had up to now and we have to concentrate on that.

"If I have to give you numbers; 51 percent we have to concentrate on reliability and the other 49 percent is improving performance."

Ferrari's Head of Track Operations Luca Baldisserri said he was convinced Raikkonen, running third when he retired, had the pace to finish on the podium easily.

"Unfortunately with Kimi we had the failure and we had a DNF so we were not able to give him a car which could show his performance that was improving since the first three races," he said. "I have to say that we are all really happy with the weekend that he's had.

"Unfortunately he had a small issue on the last lap in qualifying, but I have to say that we were choosing a slightly different strategy and I really think we could have had two Ferrari drivers on the podium at the end of today without a problem."

Almondo also praised Massa after the Brazilian scored his second consecutive win, bouncing back from two disappointing races in Australia and Malaysia.

Massa finished fifth in Malaysia after a mistake when trying to pass Hamilton, and Almondo reckons the Brazilian has now reacted to the criticism he was under following the Sepang race.

"Of course, to be criticised is never fine for any of us," said Almondo. "I have to say it can be a reaction to this sort of critics that I received but I think the most appropriate explanation is that Massa reacted as a driver."
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default KIMI STILL HOPEFULL ABOUT F1 CHAMPIONSHIP

Raikkonen not worried about title chances

By Matt Beer Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 09:46 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen says he is still confident about his championship chances despite falling to fourth in the standings after retiring from the Spanish Grand Prix.

The Finn was in third place when an electrical failure took him out of the race after nine laps. Having shared the points lead going into the weekend, he is now eight points adrift of Lewis Hamilton.

"There are still thirteen races to go and I am only eight points down on the leader," Raikkonen said.

"Of course I would like to be at the top of the classification but as I have often said, there is still no reason to worry about it yet. The true effect of this retirement will only be known at the end of the season.

"I am not the type to go over what has happened and I'm not about to start now. This is part of racing and it's impossible to change what has happened.

"Retiring from a race is the worst part of our sport and it makes you feel the worst. Points have been lost and there's no going back."

He added that he had sought permission from the team before leaving the racetrack early.

"I asked the team if I could go quickly and I'm pleased they saw that giving me permission was the right thing to do," said Raikkonen.

"I arrived home in Wollerau in time to see the final stages of the ice hockey world championship final, but Finland lost to Canada. Obviously, this just wasn't a good day."

Raikkonen believes Ferrari would have had a one-two finish if he had continued.

"I was third and, with the strategy we had chosen, I think I could have had a good race," he said.

"It is difficult following someone, but I think I could have passed Hamilton in the run of pit stops, but we will never know now how it might have finished up."
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default KIMI TOPS TIME CHARTS

This week’s final day of testing at Paul Ricard saw Kimi Raikkonen retain his position at the top of the timesheets for Ferrari. Raikkonen was closely followed by the Renault of Giancarlo Fisichella, who finished less than a tenth of a second down after both men completed more than 100 laps of the French circuit.
Pedro de la Rosa was third fastest for McLaren, six-tenths adrift of Raikkonen. From there the times got very tight, with the remaining drivers covered by less than three-quarters of a second, from Toyota’s Franck Montagny in fourth down to Tonio Liuzzi in 11th for Toro Rosso.

The teams will next be on track in first practice for the Monaco Grand Prix on Thursday, May 24.

Unofficial Friday times from Paul Ricard:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:28.624
2. Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault, 1:28.641
3. Pedro de la Rosa, McLaren, 1:29.249
4. Franck Montagny, Toyota, 1:29.312
5. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 1:29.631
6. David Coulthard, Red Bull, 1:29.834
7. James Rossiter, Super Aguri, 1:29.869
8. Adrian Sutil, Spyker, 1:29.879
9. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 1:29.978
10. Jenson Button, Honda, 1:29.989
11. Vitantonio Liuzzi, Toro Rosso, 1:29.993
Old 05-22-2007, 11:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default RAIKKONEN comes to terms with Tires ,,,,

Raikkonen optimistic of tyre progress

By Matt Beer Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:41 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen, Ricard testingKimi Raikkonen says he is now getting to grips with the 2007-specification Bridgestone tyres, and believes his unfamiliarity with them has hampered his first races for Ferrari.

Although Raikkonen won the season-opener in Melbourne, he has subsequently been out-paced by teammate Felipe Massa.

But after testing at Paul Ricard last week, he believes he has moved closer to understanding the style required by the Bridgestones.

"Every time I get into the car my knowledge of the tyres improves," Raikkonen said.

"They are really different to the ones I used during the last year. As far I as understand by reading the papers, also Fernando (Alonso) is in a similar situation.

"The test sessions in France went really well and now I feel even better with the F2007. Obviously we don't know what our competitors have done so we will see things a bit clearer only on Thursday, during the free practice sessions."

Raikkonen is particularly determined to improve his qualifying form, having been unable to get on the front row since Melbourne.

"It is fundamental to have a good lap and I will give it all," he said.

"Until now the qualifyings did not work out as I wanted it to be, but we did a lot of work to improve the situation.

"It would be wonderful to win with a red car (in Monaco) and it would be much easier if I could start from the front row."

After retiring in Spain, Raikkonen is now fourth in the drivers' championship, eight points behind leader Lewis Hamilton.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2007, 11:56 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default RAIKKONEN URGED TO GET MORE TECHNICAL

Kimi Raikkonen has not taken control of Ferrari as expected
Kimi Raikkonen could achieve more at Ferrari if he worked harder on the technical side of his job, suggests the man who gave him his Formula One break.

The Finn is "unbelievably fast, focused and powerful," Peter Sauber said.

"But it would be interesting to see how good he could be if he concerned himself with the technology side, too."

Raikkonen is tied for the championship lead after three races but was beaten in Bahrain recently by team-mate Felipe Massa, who he was expected to outclass.

Former team owner Sauber, who sold his majority shareholding to BMW, emphasised that he "would not call his lack of technical interest a weakness" and that Raikkonen had "a huge amount of natural talent".

But, talking to German magazine Auto Bild, Sauber did admit Raikkonen's "strengths are definitely not on the technical side".

Alexander Wurz
I believe Kimi could follow in the footsteps of [1980s legend] Gilles Villeneuve, rather than Michael

Alexander Wurz
Williams driver
Raikkonen, 27, is regarded by many as the outright fastest driver in F1, but he makes no secret of the fact that he is not interested in anything other than driving fast.

There was much speculation before this season about how the former McLaren driver would adapt to life at Ferrari as a replacement for Michael Schumacher, who was much more involved in the workings of his team.

However, Williams driver Alexander Wurz, who was test driver at McLaren when Raikkonen was at the team, believes he will achieve great success as long as Ferrari do not expect him to be something he is not.

"Kimi will do just fine at Ferrari - better than fine," Wurz told F1 Racing magazine.

"Once they've accepted that he's Kimi and not Schumi, they'll learn to love him - because he's easy to understand and therefore to love, a big talent who just enjoys what he's doing.

"And if he's good at it, which he is, and he's consistent over a number of seasons, then I believe he could follow in the footsteps of [1980s legend] Gilles Villeneuve, rather than Michael.

"And if things work out like that, then they might well be just perfect for both Ferrari and Kimi."
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Kimi's latest video (possibly at the harbor in Monaco?)
Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Kimi's latest video (possibly at the harbor in Monaco?)
That's from Finland and it's old. Fittingly the reported who did the story Wayne posted was a man named Beer...

Interesting comments, i.e.Wurtz's comparison to the late great Gilles Villeneuve.

His definitely been happier and happier (or should I say more comfortable) with the tyres which is a good thing since he's had so hard time with them. Might still take some time before he's in full speed with Bridgestones, let's see...
Old 05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you ever meet Kimi, don't go into a drinking contest with the guy. He'll take pole and leave you dead..
Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rassel
If you ever meet Kimi, don't go into a drinking contest with the guy. He'll take pole and leave you dead..

I`can believe that ,
Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
cars don't break down
So much for this statement from Piquet......
Old 05-26-2007, 11:22 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default FERRARI TRIES TO HELP KIMI

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, at the Monaco GP Ferrari's sporting director Stefano Domenicali says the Italian squad will focus on the race strategy to help Kimi Raikkonen recover from the dismal qualifying.

The Finn driver will start from 15th position after he made contact with the barriers at the Swimming Pool area during the second qualifying session.

The error damaged one of the car's wishbones and meant the Finn was unable to continue running, as there was not enough time to repair the damage.

"It was too late, no time to fix before getting him out," Domenicali said.

With overtaking nearly impossible at the principality, Ferrari are pinning their hopes of a positive result on their race strategy.

"I think it was just a kiss from Kimi on the entry to the Swimming Pool and it is a shame for him," Domenicali added. "That is what happened.

"Let's keep our concentration for the race, we need to think about the race for Kimi and his starting position, but Felipe did a great lap. Tomorrow will be tough for everyone."
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2007, 11:46 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

This is really getting bad for the finn, Kimi is a vital part of this show ,

Still early on Q2, a decisive moment: Kimi Raikkonen brushed the wall exiting the Swimming Poll chicane and terminally damaged the right-front suspension of his F2007. In a way eerily reminiscent of 2006’s “Rascasse-gate” involving his Ferrari predecessor Michael Schumacher, the Finn ended up stuck at the Rascasse corner, nearly blocking traffic, and briefly forcing teammate Massa to stop to avoid a crash. Eventually the “Ice Man” managed to maneuver and nurse his wounded Ferrari - sporting a Monaco-exclusive “ruby red” paint job - to the pits, but his day was over.

I would really hate to collect from the finn like this ......
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure the Ferrari team is quite impressed.

Personally, if I were Massa I would simply keep my nose clean for the race and consolidate my points advantage over Kimi and attempt to lay claim to the number 1 role for the remainder of the season and possibly beyond. If Massa is able to get support as number 1 driver he will dramatically increase his chances of winning the WC.

Quick Reply: Raikkonen Under Pressure