Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Leap........(long, read at your discretion)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default White Leap........(long, read at your discretion)

In response to the numerous e-mails and PMs I have received from RL members who have read Gary R.'s thread about LRP this past Sat. and who were curious of what happen here is a "quick" rundown.

The weather conditions were spectacular, 70 degrees, dry with a warm breaze.

Personally I was a bit nervous, it was my first day at a PCA event in my new fully prepared beautiful black 1987 Carrera, which I had purchased as my dedicated track car.

After all the standard Club formalities, I met with my instructor roketman (which I had requested thru the region's registrar) and who had built and very successfully club raced the track car I just bought.

This is when the fun started......

About 45 minutes before our run, my instructor and I got together and that is when intense learning started.

First off, he showed me a few peculiar things about his ex-club car, then he started informing me about how important the state of mind is before even getting into the car.

The importance of breathing and relaxing, visualization of the perfect lap in your mind before even turning the engine on.....

Then we went over the importance:

Vision- look far ahead, look where you want to go, use peripheral vision to sense where everyone else is around you. Don't tilt your head, your sense of balance is in your ears.

Smoothness Everything you do in the car, steering, breaking, applying the throttle has to be done smoothly. Squeezing instead of jabbing (the brake or throttle) will result in a more balanced environment.

Line The perfect line will take you around the track quickly and safely.
It is important to hit all your marks, turn in, apex and track out consistently and smoothly in order to "straighten" that perfect line and carry your momentum thru. Also don't forget to unwind the wheel as soon as the apex is reached.

Focus It is imperative to remain focused on the current situation. If you make a mistake don't linger on it, just acknowledge it and move on focusing on the next turn.

It was by now time for our Yellow run group, roketman drove the first 3 laps to show me the line, then we traded places and it was time for me to show him how attentive I had been to his teachings.
The main focus in the first session was first and foremost to get a feel of the new track car (911 as opposed to the Cayman S I had been using for DE) and to get a mental picture of where all the turn ins, apexes and track outs were.

Before the second session I sat in the car, eyes closed, and visualized doing 2 perfect laps.

The focus of the second Yellow session was to drive the perfect line, even if it meant to drive it at half the normal speed. "You have to go slow to be fast"

After doing several laps at a "reduced" speed to achieve the perfect line, it became obvious that other cars in our path were preventing us from carrying the momentum we were gaining by driving our line.

It was then that I was instructed to "PIT IN... NOW!"

I am not exactly sure what happened next, it all happened so fast, but.....
next thing I know I was wearing a White band around my wrist and was staged, with my instructor, in the White run group.....

Well, it was like being in a different world! We were able to work on our line without anyone slowing us down, I gave a couple of point byes and I was given some too. It just felt right.....

Last session of the day I drove solo and kept on practicing on everything I had been taught. The 911 by now felt just as fast as the Cayman S was, but much more responsive and balanced. I just absolutely loved the way the carrera handled, it made me look good.

In conclusion, I had a great instructor, a great car and beautiful day; all I had to do was to follow the input from the instructor and car, the rest is history....
Old 04-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Well Done. Bravo!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Sounds like a perfect DE/Instruction day then. You obviously made the effort and investment in learning. This paid off in not only "getting it" but being able to accelerate the learning curve quickly and at the right time. Trust me, your instructor will feel as good about the day as you did.

There is nothing like stepping out of the car during the 3rd session and watching your student having a blast and displaying strong manners and skill. Yup, love those days.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Paolo, you have done a good job summarizing many critical, important tips. Save that post and re-read it periodically as you progress through your driving career.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:37 PM
krC2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats Paolo..keep it up!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

great job paolo and thanks for the write up.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
This is when the fun started......

About 45 minutes before our run, my instructor and I got together and that is when intense learning started.

First off, he showed me a few peculiar things about his ex-club car, then he started informing me about how important the state of mind is before even getting into the car.

The importance of breathing and relaxing, visualization of the perfect lap in your mind before even turning the engine on.....
Did he have you doing the pre-session push ups too?

Ask Ronnie about that.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations Paolo
Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 AM
smankow
Pro

Boston, congrats on the promotion. and here's the question that I'm surprised has not been asked yet - where's the video?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

One little visualisation drill you might do is to drive an imaginary lap in your head. Do it against a stopwatch. You should be able to drive the lap in your head wihin a second or two of your actual track time.

See just how accurate you can be. Visualise shift points, braking points, turn in, apex, throttle application. Everything you can think of. You will be amazed at how well you do next time out.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Larry ,Its jumping jacks
Roketman
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Paolo. Welcome to the White group!
One thing I've learned is not to be afraid to ask for an instructor for a session or two particularly at a new track, especially if you can get one as good as the last one you've had.
Sounds like you had a great weekend!
Now let the real learning begin!

Last edited by smlporsche; 04-23-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

You've come far Paolo.. welcome to the upper ranks!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Congrats Paolo. Obviously not all shoes are created equal.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

That's what I am talking about! Sounds like you had a great instructor that really cares about proper learning and it's great you got into the proper group so you could work on your skills.

Quick Reply: White Leap........(long, read at your discretion)