Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time trailering

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007 | 09:05 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer

Also, any tips on RA? Ive done probably 8-10 DE days total, all at Sebring, Moroso and Roebling Road. This will be my first trip to RA. I'm in the blue group, still with an instructor.
I cant give you any tips because this will be my first time there as well, but I should be running in blue group with you. This event looks look like its going to be a hoot! To make things even better Im doing VIR with Audi club the following monday and tuesday. I look forward to meeting you.
Old 04-15-2007 | 10:06 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
RamVa,

Why do you recommend only crossing the straps at one end?
I should have been even more specific - they should be crossed at whichever end is front of the trailer (usually the front) and straight at the other.

The reason is that under heavy brake there can be a high longitudinal load, and if all four straps are crossed the straps have less leverage in arresting it. So long as the steering is locked it is sufficient to only cross at one end, as lateral loads are generally going to be far, far less than braking loads.

A couple other things I should have mentioned: 1) For some trailers 911s have to go on backward to get sufficient tongue weight, and 2) put the parking brake on but do not put the car in gear.
Old 04-15-2007 | 10:59 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
before, but never with a car on it. Any problem going highway speeds, or should I keep the pace down a bit? There's no hurry, I'm taking an entire 2 days extra for travel days between Orlando and Atlanta.

Also, any tips on RA? Ive done probably 8-10 DE days total, all at Sebring, Moroso and Roebling Road. This will be my first trip to RA. I'm in the blue group, still with an instructor.
Hi Mark,

You've gotten some good advice on this thread. Take it easy and you'll get there ok. You'll find RA quite a contrast to Sebring, Moroso and RR: the elevation changes are a blast. It's a terrific track. Have a great time.
Old 04-15-2007 | 11:25 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

RamVa,

I think I understand your reasoning, but have never heard that before. I have always crossed both ends. Also, I have never used my parking brake or put the car in gear. That is what the manufacturers of Trailex recommend, and so that is what I have always done, both with open and enclosed trailers, although that should make no difference. Fortunately, I've not yet had to test the advantages of this set up.
Old 04-15-2007 | 11:45 PM
RamVA
Racer

Crossing both ends isn't fatal, but I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't want to be in a situation where you test it. As for the parking brake, I can't think of a good reason not to use it but I'm open to hearing one.
Old 04-15-2007 | 11:47 PM
RamVA
Racer

Yet another thing I didn't mention - assuming you're strapping down by the wheels, make sure the line of the strap is on line with the hub/center of the wheel (or close). That way when you tighten it down or when the strap pulls it won't be trying to rotate the wheel.
Old 04-16-2007 | 04:25 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

look for me at the track! silver 996 towed w/ a tan suburban. looking forward to the event as well! last year's was pretty crazy but this year should be even better. maybe we should organize a porsche corral in the paddock.

btw the drive from orlando to atlanta is 8 hours or so.
Old 04-16-2007 | 09:06 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by 1957 356
spend some quality time in a parking lot practicing backing up. You'd be surprised how hard it is if you try it for the first time without practicing. Small steering inputs add up to big trailer movements. I just started towing with the same truck and an open trailer and it's a really good combo. You'll forget you're even towing.
Ditto what Sean said. You are towing a good sized trailer with a very good sized truck - you'll be pretty long. Costco/Sam's Club parking lots before they are open are great places to practice (just make sure you leave before they open, as you'll have a lot of capacity to buy stuff).

Also, I would stop after about 30 minutes of towing and check all of your straps, just to make sure everything is nice and tight. Once you get your system down, this might be a moot point, but I still do it, just to be safe.

Have a blast.
Old 04-16-2007 | 11:19 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by RamVA
Crossing both ends isn't fatal, but I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't want to be in a situation where you test it. As for the parking brake, I can't think of a good reason not to use it but I'm open to hearing one.
When I drive to the track I too set my parking brake but when I leave the track to go home I usually don't now for fear that the rotors are still hot and I may warp them. (ask me how I know )
Old 04-16-2007 | 12:54 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

A Porsche corral sounds like a great idea. Is there a place we should meet and park our trailers? I have never been there.
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:15 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Once you get your trailer leveled you might want to get some woden blocks to put under the very end of the trailer when you unload to keep the ramps from rising.
Great idea on wood block, I was somewhat lazy and just used floor jack to keep pressure on the trailer then pulled out the lever. You may also want to consider sway control which may not be an issue with the open trailer. Lastly have it checked periodically for brakes, lubrication (bearings) and e-brake battery charge.

Enjoy.
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:39 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
A Porsche corral sounds like a great idea. Is there a place we should meet and park our trailers? I have never been there.
No trailer for me. Ill probably be parked with a few of my VW buddies Im going down there with. Here is my car:

And my friends VW

Feel free to come by and say hi
Old 04-16-2007 | 02:26 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Jason,

Not to hijack the thread, but were you at Barber with Audi last year? I seem to remember your car.
Old 04-16-2007 | 03:04 PM
MJHanna
Instructor

Get a ramp for changing the trailer tires when you get your first flat tire on the trailer. You will get flat is just a matter of time.
Old 04-16-2007 | 04:33 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Chuck, this is my first out of region audio club event. I wanted to go to Barber last year (along with Mt Tremblant and Mid Ohio) but it just didnt work out. The timing was right for this since Ill be at VIR mon and tuesday which isnt really all that out of the way. Ive been looking forward to this for months!

Quick Reply: First time trailering