Sponsored by:

997S Alignment for DE, Autocross and street

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Mi no comprende.... Are you saying about the difference side-to-side, or the difference in neg camber from 1/2 to 1 degree?

If it's across the fronts, wouldn't that be dependant upon which directon the car was turning?
i was refering to difference between front to rear which is what mdrums was hinting at i believe.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doc2s
i was refering to difference between front to rear which is what mdrums was hinting at i believe.
Thanks for the clarification; then I agree with you....
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
He also said that if I had the camber for both side equal them the car would really pull to the right side of the road and I would have to maintain constant left steering pressure. That would really be anyoing on a 4 hour road trip.
I was thinking about what the guy told you and he's definitely full of crap if I read this correctly.

He's saying if the camber was the same value side to side that the car would pull hard to the right......sooooo.......he's saying your beautifully engineered high performance sports car, when the wheels are set to the same alignment side to side.........has been designed to pull to the right?!? Did he mention any frame damage/broken components/anything like that?

If the tires are set the same left to right, the car should track straight (on a flat road) unless something nasty is going on.

That guy is full of crap. I'd find another service advisor to talk to. This guy seems to want you to go away and not actually deal with a potential problem with your car.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I was thinking about what the guy told you and he's definitely full of crap if I read this correctly.

He's saying if the camber was the same value side to side that the car would pull hard to the right......sooooo.......he's saying your beautifully engineered high performance sports car, when the wheels are set to the same alignment side to side.........has been designed to pull to the right?!? Did he mention any frame damage/broken components/anything like that?

If the tires are set the same left to right, the car should track straight (on a flat road) unless something nasty is going on.

That guy is full of crap. I'd find another service advisor to talk to. This guy seems to want you to go away and not actually deal with a potential problem with your car.

Good luck!
Yep Allan that is baciscally what I was told. I have 6500miles on my 2006 C2S Cab (I know not the perfect DE car but....I also have a wifey too!) No frame damage or broken components I know of. I've only done 1 DE with this car and it was not even pushed hard at the particular DE to break anything.

I drove the car again alot today and it drives nice on the street. My DE is not until May 12th. It does bug me a whole lot that there is .46 degree camber difference between the RF and LF. That is why I posted my alignment specs because even though I do not know a lot about alignment it just did not seem correct.

So I guess I will call the dealer and again explain my concern and HOPEFULLY will not get into a pissin' match with them because I really like to deal with the sales end of this dealership. ARRRGH why why why me!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Yep Allan that is baciscally what I was told. I have 6500miles on my 2006 C2S Cab (I know not the perfect DE car but....I also have a wifey too!) No frame damage or broken components I know of. I've only done 1 DE with this car and it was not even pushed hard at the particular DE to break anything.

I drove the car again alot today and it drives nice on the street. My DE is not until May 12th. It does bug me a whole lot that there is .46 degree camber difference between the RF and LF. That is why I posted my alignment specs because even though I do not know a lot about alignment it just did not seem correct.

So I guess I will call the dealer and again explain my concern and HOPEFULLY will not get into a pissin' match with them because I really like to deal with the sales end of this dealership. ARRRGH why why why me!
it is out of porsche tolerance as posted earlier (.33deg max between let/right). they should fix it.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Well I have been traveling a lot lately and have taken my alignment specs to various Porsche dealers to get there advice. Suprisingly they all have been very helpful. So far they all said my camber up front between RF and LF should be a lot closer. They also siad that camber does affect to pull of the car to one side or another but they also said that there should not be a .50 degree of difference between RF and LF camber. So I called my dealer and they are being very cool about it and said they will align the car to my specs. I have an appointment this Monday to get this done. They also said they will not be responsable for the way the car drives after this alignment either and they strongly suggested I leave the alingment as is. ARRRGH what freakin frustration!

Should I go for -1 LF and RF or -.5 RF LF? I have -1.5 for the rears. A couple of performance orientated Porsche dealers suggested around -.8 tono more than -1 for the front and no more than -1.5 for the rears as a good street/DE alignment.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Up front I would get as much neg as possible, probably around -1 to -1.2 or so. I would leave the rears alone, thy're already max'd out at 1.5. Ask them to corner balance the car to your weight.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:50 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

have the front at -1deg leave the rear at -1.5deg. fwiw the rears can go to -2.5 to -2.7 easy.
don't listen to the dealer he told you a lot of bs in the first place. the car will drive well.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

OK just got back from my dealer and they re-did the alignment. Here is what I've got now:

.............FRONT RIGHT...........FRONT LEFT
Camber -1.10.......................-1.06
Toe .03........................... .03

.............REAR RIGHT.............REAR LEFT
Camber -1.57........................-1.54
Toe .13........................ .11
Old 05-02-2007, 11:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Look perfect, now go drive the bleep out of it and tell us how it feels?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

I have an appointment with my local Porsche dealer (Reeves) on Monday to try and maximize my alignment for tire wear and grip for DE's and autocross. However this is also my wife and I 3rd car which we drive during the week and weekends around town.

I talked to my dealer and they said they could max out the negative camber "with in the specs for a 997S" to help on tire wear at the outside edge. I have read on this forum something about negative 1.5 degrees for front camber and negative 1.8 degrees for rear camber.

Has anyone done this to there 997S before and what where your alignment specs?

Thanks!!!!!! Mike
-2.2 Front
-2.7 Rear

Alignment performed yesterday on my car which is stock with the exception of H&R lowering springs.

The front adjustment holes were elongated to allow for more adjustment.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
-2.2 Front
-2.7 Rear

Alignment performed yesterday on my car which is stock with the exception of H&R lowering springs.

The front adjustment holes were elongated to allow for more adjustment.
How does those setting work on the street? You will have to let us know how your tire wear is after 5k or so miles.

Quick Reply: 997S Alignment for DE, Autocross and street