Sponsored by:

Track Gloves? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:31 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Great stuff....sounds like there is only upside with gloves... Some safety is better than none.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wear gloves. Much safer as mentioned. But as for feel, it is better without the gloves. I read somewhere that you should practice driving with your finger tips. I try this all the time. I try to keep a very relaxed grip which gives me better feedback.

So my vote: safety=yes, grip=no
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
cmoss

I used to use my hands--now I use gloves. The wheel was always slipping in my moist-sweaty-clutching-gripping-hands (to much info?)
Old 04-12-2007, 05:19 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Years ago in pilot training we were told of a guy who crash landed a plane and it caught on fire. He was burned above his wrists on his forearms. He had the top of his gloves rolled down so they were cooler! (we can relate to that) He caught pneumonia and died cause his burns got infected! I wear my gloves rolled up.

Even the the AF style gloves (Army-Navy store/police supply) can give you some Nomex with leather grips. It may be only a few seconds worth of protection, but that could be enough!!

One advantage not mentioned is when grabbing something sharp or pointy as well as hot!! Could save your digits!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
mein51
Racer

I also like the gloves for visibility for students. I instruct with my hands alot and it is easier for the students to see my blue gloves rather than my hands (or so I've been told). Not to mention you look sooo cool with them on
Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At DE's and AutoX I like to wear my air force issue nomex fighter pilot gloves that I "aquisitioned" from a CF-18 pilot.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Sparco glove with the external seams, and synthetic palm material. The grip is outstanding, and allows me to hold the wheel more lightly. I was sold on the benefit of gloves after the first session with them.
Remember all gloves fit differently, make sure to try on a number of brands and models before purchasing. The right fit and palm material makes all the difference in the world.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I always wear gloves. Much safer as mentioned. But as for feel, it is better without the gloves. I read somewhere that you should practice driving with your finger tips. I try this all the time. I try to keep a very relaxed grip which gives me better feedback.

So my vote: safety=yes, grip=no
When I was learning to fly my instructor always reminded me to fly with my finger tips. This has always come easy for me because as a drummer a relaxed grip and relaxed body, fluid movments and thinking ahead has helped my track driving.
At my 1st DE the first thing my instructor asked me was where are your gloves?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Gloves are also used to help aid against hand fatigue
Old 04-13-2007, 05:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Grip and comfort level for me. I wear Sparco suede gloves in the cooler months and Simpson leather palm in the hot months. The sweat build up in the leather does not penetrate as much and gives a more constant feel in hot weather as compared with suede.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:57 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sabelt leather gloes, MOMO Porsche Supercup suede wheel.

DI at Limerock sells Sabelt and their own brand. Thy used to sell OMP but not anymore.

The DI brand are a bit cheap looking IMHO.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
Sabelt leather gloes, MOMO Porsche Supercup suede wheel.

DI at Limerock sells Sabelt and their own brand. Thy used to sell OMP but not anymore.

The DI brand are a bit cheap looking IMHO.
Bought a pair of Sabelt, external stiching, latest model, ergonomic leather palm grip at LRP shop. A bit expensive ($140), but well worthed compared to all other models I tried.
Yes, they made me faster, I lapped everyone at least once, but then what else is new.....
Old 04-13-2007, 09:14 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

I have a pair of leather summer motorcycle gloves I was forced to wear at a DE in November since it was supercold. That was the first time I'd worn them. The 2 I have done since then have been just as cold, but I really like the feel. I don't know if they give me a better grip or not, but I like the way it feels. - it seems to make the wheel thicker (I guess that is better grip). I'm curious to see how I like them when it gets warmer.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you race, you will wear gloves. So, start practicing with gloves at the DE level so that you can develop the FEEL with gloves on. You want the gloves to feel as natural as possible, you do not want them to be a hinderance to you when you are racing.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with Tim . . . if you are looking to race (bit IF here), you really should practice the way you'd race, especially if you are new to the racing scene.

Quick Reply: Track Gloves? Why?