Sponsored by:

Mid-Ohio Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-Ohio Driving School

I am considering attending the Mid-Ohio Acura high performance course. The website says its contains:

- Classroom sessions discussing the physics and dynamics of driving.

- Braking/shifting drill

- Slalom drill

- Car control exercises with the skid car

- Autocross competition

- Full course lapping

It's $750 if I use their Acura TSX or $625 if I use my 350Z. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? I mainly want to improve my car control skills and be able to use more of my cars potential on and off the street.

I'm a college student on a budget and a figure it's a better investment to mod the driver rather than the car. Do you think its best for pay extra for their car? How much wear and tear on my cars tires and brakes should I expect of I go that route?

I also want to be sure that i'm getting the right course for my skill level. I don't want to go spend that much money and not learn anything I don't already know. I know I'm asking a lot of questions but any imput from you guys will help. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mid OH is a great school. Calvin Fish used to be chief instructor, and the other instructors were a credible, pedigreed bunch. Their skid car is a unique piece of technology which I haven't seen used elsewhere. You will learn a ton, although how much is appropriately translatable to street driving I'm not sure. I would use their cars which are well set up for the track and which the instructors are familiar with.

One tip: check and see what car clubs have events scheduled at MO. I know the Audi club uses the MO instructors for everything but lapping on their DE days; and it would be half the price.

As for your comment on tuning the driver vs. the car: absolutely! A one-shot introduction to the principals of driving is better than nothing, but the real value I'd see in doing a school is to get a vision for driving track events where you can practice and develop some skills.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

The people I know and respect say it's the best damn droving school anywhere.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely use their car! Tires, brakes, risk of breaking, etc. worth the $125.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey Brandon!

I also think the Mid Ohio School is one of the best. I liked it more than Skippy School at Laguna Seca, and others I've been to. I would also say that if you plan to track your own car in the future, then use your own car for the MO School. You'll learn a ton. If you don't plan on tracking your car, then I agree with Jeff. You'll save money in parts. It is a GREAT track to use for a school because of the layout and elevations.
I have only one warning. If you take the school, try to figure out in advance what parts of your life you will be giving up in the future. You will like it so much, it will change your priorities.
.............I warned you ;-)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done a number of different classes/schools - some as a student, some hanging around by invitation and some semi-helping. IMO, the Mid Ohio School is the best one out there and it is because of the instructors.

When you get to open lapping, you can use your own car, but I always preferred the school cars. That way you are playing, using equal cars, with the instructors. If you are in a Porsche, chasing the instructor in an Acura, you don't really know how you are doing. If you are in the same car, then you can get a real lesson.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply's everyone, everyone talks highly of mid-ohio's school so I'll sign up for a class. My goal is just to build a foundation for becoming a better driver. I'm only 20 so I don't have much experience but hopefully this class plus a few auto-x's this summer will help me improve. I'll pay the extra money for one of their cars instead of replacing tires, brakes, etc on mine. Afterall I need to save for my Porsche!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

Well, I can't say you guys didn't warn me. I'm officially hooked. I went to the school on Thursday and had the time of my life. All I can think about is getting back on the track. The intructors were all great and Adam Andretti was especially helpful. Always encouraging and offering advice.

Is there a cheaper way to get more track time? I learned more during my time on the track than the rest of the day. It's my only track experince so I don't want to an open track day and have no idea what I'm doing. Anyone have any advice?

Last edited by Jyoder240; 07-07-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

D.E. Since you have a 350Z, you may not be able to participate in marque club specific D.E.'s. E.g., some PCA regions' hold Porsche only D.E. Others permit different types of cars to join in with the P-cars (which I like). I know that NASA holds HPDE events at Mid-Ohio and the NASA instructors are as good as the PCA instructors. In fact, most NASA instructors also instruct for other car clubs (like PCA, BMW club, etc.).

Chin Motorsports also runs HPDE at some of the best tracks around the country. Chin is a little more expensive than NASA HPDE, but also well run and usually provides more on-track time than the marque car club events.

On a college student's budget, you may only do a couple of events a year. But, it's a great start. Good luck, have fun!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
D.E. Since you have a 350Z, you may not be able to participate in marque club specific D.E.'s. E.g., some PCA regions' hold Porsche only D.E. Others permit different types of cars to join in with the P-cars (which I like). I know that NASA holds HPDE events at Mid-Ohio and the NASA instructors are as good as the PCA instructors. In fact, most NASA instructors also instruct for other car clubs (like PCA, BMW club, etc.).
In every region I've run with around here (CIR, OVR, MO, NNJR, NO, Peachstate, Carolinas) there have always been other makes. It usually costs a little more if you're not a PCA member but a 2 day DE will cost you half what you just paid. Northern Ohio Region in particular, which is having another MO DE in October, had instructors who were driving Corvettes. They were a fun bunch.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Jyoder240;
Definately check out the PCA regions around you - go to PCA.org snf click on "Regions", then search each schedule for datea and contact. Most of the Ohio REgions do not restrict to P-cars only, although members sometimes get first dibs. For Example, MOR is going to be at Putnam next weekeend, and then at Mid- Ohio in August for a Monday-Tuesday for something like @125.00!! Get in on that deal!
Alan
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in the NY metro area, the most populous regions, viz., Metro/NY, NNJR and Conn., have big membership participation in their performance driving events, hence the P-car only limitation. Regions north (upstate NY and New England) and south (southern NJ and PA, etc), of here will most often have openings for non-Porsche participation. As an instructor, I personally enjoy getting the opportunity to ride in different cars.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

check out http://thetrackschedule.com/ for a comprehensive list of "Drivers' Ed" events. You can search locally or nationally. The Audi and BMW clubs are more receptive to outside marques participation than Porsche, at least they used to be when I was doing a lot of DEs. They were still well run and in fact there is a lot of cross pollination of instructors between events. Some DE's like the Audi club event at MO, use the track's instructor group whom you've already met.

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio Driving School