Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are you doing to secure your trailer?
Tongue Lock
86.21%
Wheel Lock
6.90%
GPS
0%
Considering GPS
6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Trailer Security

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

No
Old 04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I have a tongue lock, but also a breakaway system that locks the brakes when the key is removed. Frankly, I thought that was sufficient until today when I went to the storage lot where I keep it, and the trailer had been moved about 20'. So, seems the breakaway system does not lock the brakes as I had thought.
Your battery was probably dead. When the breakaway system is utilized (ie. the cable is pulled out), it uses power from the battery on the trailer tongue to energize the electric brakes to lock. When all the juice is gone the brakes are no longer engaged.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine rigged with explosives.
I don't know quite why, but this....doesn't surprise me at all...
Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tongue lock - my car is parked in a secured lot right underneath the security cameras.

I also noticed the issue with the breakaway system - it doesn't work when the battery is dead. I'm going to wire in a solar trickle charger to solve that problem.

Rick
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the recently trained.

The great news is that my insurance company came thru ahead of schedule and frankly gave a very reasonable settlement. I owe that in great part to the “Featherlite” reputation and the detailed records I kept. However during the process there was a fair amount of hand wringing by the carrier intimating that I might not have coverage because it was a race car trailer. That sorted itself out but I found it interesting that despite being locked and tucked away not on or near a track they floated that out. I am now looking at the policy language for the replacement trailer.

The new set up will not be a custom Featherlite due in large part to my emotional attachment and relatively large $$$$$. I opted to buy an off the shelf 30 foot Pace Daytona model that I will do minor upgrades.

Now for security. I was going to store it in my warehouse but logistically that became a mess so I elected to store it behind my warehouse that is surrounded on three sides by other buildings. The access shall be a normal chain link fence that is wired and alarmed and all that will be blocked by several large trucks. The trailer itself shall have an alarm wired to police blue strobe lights on the outside of the trailer and other sirens and alike. Additionally a breakaway loop will be around the axle so that if it cut or disconnect the site alarm triggers, etc.

I concur with others that if a pro wants it they will take it. Also keep ALL receipts for any of your trailer upgrades or mods. It will serve you well if you ever need a claim.

Lastly very special thanks to all for looking out and offering me the use of their rigs.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
I don't have my race car insured so if the trailer and car goes...their gone.
Jeff,
At least get the STP coverage (Storage, Towing and Paddock) coverage. It is cheap, do a search as there have been several recommendations on the board about this.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
A very hungry Doberman on a looooong leash will do the trick.
Personally I hired a ex-Marine and equipped him with a Dobie-O-Matic and a large ammunition supply of Dobies from the local pound.

No one has dared touch my trailer.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I have a tongue lock, but also a breakaway system that locks the brakes when the key is removed. Frankly, I thought that was sufficient until today when I went to the storage lot where I keep it, and the trailer had been moved about 20'. So, seems the breakaway system does not lock the brakes as I had thought.
Here up north, doing that and leaving the trailer to sit will fuse the brakes to the drum. It will reduce the likelyhood of getting stolen as it will be very, very hard to move with seized brakes.

Quick Reply: Trailer Security