Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Books Can Help My Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:10 AM
Bailey-86-MA
Rennlist Member

Default What Books Can Help My Driving?

I have been doing DEs for a while and am fortunate to run in the advanced group at many events, but I have a lot to learn.

I am doing a 3 day Skip Barber racing school at the end of the month. I am hoping to do a few DEs in May including the HVR Glen event with some pro sessions.

Aside form seat time, which books on driving or car setup have all of you got the most out of? I probably have a few in my library already.

Many thanks to a great forum that I am always reading and hope to participate in more,

Bailey
Old 04-03-2007 | 08:23 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

There are a few worthwhile books to read:

Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving by Carl Lopez
Speed Secrets By Ross Bently
Driving in Competition by Alan Johnson
Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook by Vic Elford
Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving by Bob Bondurant
Drive to Win by Carrol Smith

Carrol Smith also does a series of car preparation books - Prepare to Win, Tune to Win, Engineer to Win, Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners (Screw to Win..??)

I don't know if you need them all, but they are good reading...enjoy, and have fun doing the DE's.
Old 04-03-2007 | 09:42 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Secrets of Solo Racing by Henry Watts is good, too. There is a lot about DE and AutoX in it, not just racing.
I find the only way I can learn about driving is to do it, but these books are something to do during the off season.
See you at the Glen
Old 04-03-2007 | 09:47 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I highly second the recommendation of Going Faster and Drive to Win. Carrol Smith is ingenius, and the book by Carl Lopez (Going Faster) is a superb book on how the Skip Barber program runs. At the very least, get Going Faster -- it'll give you an advantage for the Skippy school.
Old 04-03-2007 | 09:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

And get the two DVD's out there, "Going Faster" (LRP) and "Secrets of the Glen" (WGI) just to have. If nothing else the Glen history part of the DVD is nice..
Old 04-03-2007 | 10:01 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Woah . . . I was not aware that there was a Going Faster DVD out there. Odd that they use Limerock . . . wasn't most of the book based on Sebring? No matter, still cool. I've been to Sebring, but not to Limerock yet -- it's on my five year list, along with Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio.
Old 04-03-2007 | 10:14 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Going Faster and seat time... That's about it. I suppose it depends on your objectives - if doing Skippy then I assume you are heading toward open wheel racing? If not, then consider that amount of money probably equates to dozens of more DEs with PCA and other clubs - more seat time in a coupe if that's what you plan to keep driving.
Old 04-03-2007 | 10:31 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by RonCT
Going Faster and seat time... That's about it. I suppose it depends on your objectives - if doing Skippy then I assume you are heading toward open wheel racing? If not, then consider that amount of money probably equates to dozens of more DEs with PCA and other clubs - more seat time in a coupe if that's what you plan to keep driving.
FYI Skippy is doing MX-5 Cup Pro Cars too now.
Old 04-03-2007 | 11:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sun Tsu: The Art Of War
Old 04-03-2007 | 11:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Read the GR forum here on rennlist .... Then do the opposite of everything GR says.

happy droving!
Old 04-03-2007 | 11:34 AM
Z-man
Race Director

FWIW, I found Ross Bentley's "Inner Speed Secrets" really helpful, in his series of books. Deals more with the mindset / mental aspect of driving -- really key stuff.

I've read some of the other Speed Secrets books as well as most of the books listed. All are good and help understand various aspects of this crazy hobby we have.

The next book on my list to read is Mark Donohue's Unfair Advantage. There's also a motorcycle book I've heard is great for track driving -- I think it's called "A Twist of the Wrist."

-Zoltan.
Old 04-03-2007 | 12:32 PM
Cory M
Drifting

speed secrets
Old 04-03-2007 | 01:41 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man
FWIW, I found Ross Bentley's "Inner Speed Secrets" really helpful, in his series of books. Deals more with the mindset / mental aspect of driving -- really key stuff.

I've read some of the other Speed Secrets books as well as most of the books listed. All are good and help understand various aspects of this crazy hobby we have.

The next book on my list to read is Mark Donohue's Unfair Advantage. There's also a motorcycle book I've heard is great for track driving -- I think it's called "A Twist of the Wrist."

-Zoltan.
I have read the above books including the "A Twist of the Wrist" book, they are all good. I have included a link here for you http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcracin...ookreview.html
Old 04-03-2007 | 02:25 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I also have Ayrton Senna's Principles of Race Driving . It's out of print though and has become quite expensive due to the legend of Senna. It's a great color book with lots of pictures, graphs, and insight into the man and his racing style.
Old 04-03-2007 | 10:56 PM
speedread
Racer

Speed Secrets 2 and Going Faster http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets-.../dp/0760315108

Quick Reply: What Books Can Help My Driving?