Sponsored by:

Help: STOLEN TRAILER

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Shea
why not just take the wheels off, and put a wheel lock on an empty stud, that way they can't put other wheels on it to drive it away. It may not be the easiest thing to do, but saves you some cash.
If the thiefs know that there is a wheel lock and they are professional thieves then they will have the "wheel lock key kit". If they want it they are going to get it, simple as that. All you can do is take as many precautions as possible.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:25 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the GPS unit hidden in the trailer. That way, you can locate it since most trailer theives wouldn't think of looking for one.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:35 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so a couple days have passed and I am beginning to get over the sting or feelings of violation. That being said a few thoughts:

Taking the wheels off just too much work, the hyro-rams would be a push of a button. Ultimately too much R&D, testing, and $$. So at the end of the day the following is my solution:

1. Install alarm system with a bit if a twist: The alarm would be tied to one of two concealed batteries and hard wired. If activate the alarm would trigger a locking circuit that will: engage the trailer brakes and intiate the blue and red L.E.D strobe lights on the outside of the trailer. Since blue and red strobes are illegal they should draw attention.
2. Install gps system. I have them on other assets but never thought to put it on the trailer. My whoops.
3. Modify my warehouse opening and ramp to allow trailer to be parked inside
4. Install laser array on inside of fence to trigger building monitored alarm.
...................And if all else fails engage MP5SD1

Thanks again and hope to see all of you in the near future.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for #3.
- it'll be nice when you need to load/unload or hitch/unhitch in bad weather...or blazing heat
- keeps the trailer nicer too...improves resale
- more of a legitimate business expense
Old 03-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Not trying to hijack this thread...but a slight veer:

Is there a market for a reasonably-priced 'alarm & location' system, a la Lojack, but with more commonly available technology ?

Why do I ask ? Well...I'm not trying to sell anything...far from it...but I have a friend in the alarm & monitoring business who is also a racer, and we've recently been talking about using a combination of cellphone & alarm-dialer technologies to 1.) alert owners that some ******** is fvcking with their trailer and 2.) allow 'tracking & location' within the parameters of E911 service. I'm pretty good a 're-purposing' hardware & technology from one industry to another...because I'm a cheap bastard...and somewhat inventive. Basically, you can now source 'cellphone in a box' to handle communcations needs (voice, fax, data) far beyond where the phone poles end. Jackpot, huh ? And...the coming ubiquity of E911 service means that all those cellphone devices will actually know where they are, as long as they're powered up and active ("Phase II" E911...coming...but the timetable is hazy). Bonus jackpot, if we can get private parties access to the 'location' data stream...probably a whole 'nother legal and legislative wrangle. So...not 'today' on the location stuff...but 'soon'.

I know that you can put together off-the-shelf hardware (no Gilligan's Island "two coconuts & a grapefruit" radio stuff) to provide:

1.)Motion, entry, fire & smoke alarm signaling to a alarm company central station or owners cellphone
2.)Battery operations/backup for 10-30 days, once AC mains are disconnected
3.) E911 location monitoring (cheezy GPS-like service...but it works)

Now...the cost of the hardware to do this is in the $1200-2000 range, and probably $10-50/mo for the associated 'services' to keep it going (cellphone account, alarm monitoring bureau if you choose that route) You're NOT going to do this for your beater trailer with a clapped out IT or Club car...probably.

But...is there interest out there for something like this ?

Quick Reply: Help: STOLEN TRAILER