Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: STOLEN TRAILER

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! That is a big loss. I was admiring how well deck out it was at Roebling in Feb. It may turn up. Likely sans the interior goodies. GPS? Great idea.

Sorry for your loss. I will have my eyes wide open next week at the Club Race here in Atl. Post pix.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Dell if your trailer is kept at home watch out ... there are lots of people coming and going from a construction site that is your neighborhood.
I keep mine in a boat/rv/trailer storage facility with gates and cameras
Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I keep mine in a boat/rv/trailer storage facility with gates and cameras
THe good thing about cameras are that you can watch the theft of your trailer after it's stolen. Lock it up!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Locked up!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I work in Longwood a couple day's month. I'll keep my eyes peeled. That really sucks. Longwood is one of the nicer areas of metro Orlando....crime happens everywhere.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

We'll look for it down here. If I see a landscaping guy with a Featherlite......
Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
We'll look for it down here. If I see a landscaping guy with a Featherlite......
+1 It shouldn't be hard to spot shiny Featherlite from those crappy, beat up trailers those guys use...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
phils87951
Instructor

Im awaiting the delivery of my new trailer.....
There seems to be a rash of stolen trailers, I know of 2 friends that got theirs stolen outright and 3 others that got busted into and emptied of their tool contents. Typically worth more than 10G's

I know that the best deterent is to make it "not worth their while" but with battery operated grinders there is little that can stop them. Put the best locks available on the doors, they cut into the pannel next to the door or cut the hinges off the side door. its frustrating.

As much as I hate boomerang systems I may have one installed along with a Alarm system, 3 pit bulls, 2 rattle snakes, a Gator and I might throw in an Anaconda for good measure. Come to think of it I just may put venemous reptile farm graphics on the side instead of Company logo's.....
Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by phils87951
Come to think of it I just may put venemous reptile farm graphics on the side instead of Company logo's.....
A friend had biohazzard stickers and virus research logos on his thinking it would not get stolen. We figure that the guys that took his were perhaps looking for pyrex equipment to make drugs or needles to shoot drugs.

You never know these days. Whatever you do, don't put landscaping graphics on it, some byunghole might steal it looking for a mower (and granted I've had my agricultural excusrsions on track) a race car is not (officially ) a mower.

On teh subject of LoJack/Boomerang, do they have to be powered constantly or are they powered by their own battery? Trailer batteries have a habit of going flat and if the thieves do not hookup the wiring to their truck, the lojack would have no juice....
Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
phils87951
Instructor

Yeah I thought of that, yes the satelite systems do require a power source as they have limited battery reserves.
I was thinking of installing a car battery (inside) in parallel to the exterior battery, that way if they do cut the cable I would have a back-up as well as some thing to run an inverter from.

Since I ordered mine with out the interior finished I may put a 16ga extruded steel mesh sandwiched between the plywood and frame but its going to cost in weight..
Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Since your logo is on the top as well, find a guy with a small plane and pay him to fly you around and look for it. Might spot it in a backyard, etc. I always thought cool race graphics, Porsche stickers everywhere, etc would entice theft. Might as well paint it pink, or put on a logo advertising a septic tank cleaning business to deter the scumbags. Hope you can recover it soon!

Rich
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never thought of a logo on top, great idea or just a big phone number. I am looking into a group buy on gps locators. The guy that I talked to seems to have the perfect unit where you can set "fences" and if the vehicle moves past the fence, you get a cell call. It is called the Millenium Plus.

Standard pricing is $495 so I'm going to see what he comes up with. I'll check for 10, 20 and 30 purchasers.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all for their efforts. To followup on some specifics:

A. Storage area had very bright night lighting

B. case hard locks (8) and cables not readilly accessible. tool used to cut left a perfectly straight cut not the normal chewing of grinder or bolt cutters.

C. Video shows new model white style side 4-door 4x4 extended cab with no distinguishing markings, could not get tag.

D. Trailer should have severe drag marks on rear left bottom due to exit from my office. Took incorrect route which would have left both axles swinging in the wind making it necessary to drag the entire rear down a 10' concrete ramp.

E. Trailer reported to Featherlite and entered in national DB as stolen so poor slob that buys it at fleamarket and needs parts or skins will have heartburn (doubtfull)

F. XM headunit reported as stolen to XM. This actually might have a shot since its a high profile Alpine unit.

End of day I think its "Gone in 60-seconds" without the happy ending and certainly no Angelina Jolie. Replacement trailer likely to be kept inside warehouse (mine or rental) and be equiped with GPS and nifty alarm that locks the brakes if tampered.

Thanks again and despite the best efforts of some SOB I will be at Sebring and remaining events.

Cheers.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:18 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the airplane idea. You could even contact local news copter pilots and offer up a reward - they're out there anyway.

Unless the crook really knows the trailer I bet they haven't even thought about graphics on top.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Janni
Intermediate

Our trailer was stolen (also a Featherlight, btw) and found a couple of months later. A trailer theft ring was operating - and they were stealing anything they could tow - landscaping trailers, pig cookers, car and horse trailers.

The police recovered the trailer, and called a local dealer. They were able to tell them the selling dealer by locating the secondary VIN that is on the frame. the VIN tag on the gooseneck had been changed / destroyed. We had called the selling dealer to let them know and that is how the police ended up contacting us.

Since we had had full replacement cost coverage and the trailer listed as a separate vehicle, (through Fireman's Fund, but you KNOW I am not going there....) we had already purchased and been reimbursed for a new trailer for our $50 deductible.

The trailer was sent to auction - we had some folks that were going to be interested in it - however, it never made it to the public auction day. Someone got a SWEET deal.

Call your local F'lite dealer and your selling dealer. And don't give up hope!

Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: Help: STOLEN TRAILER