Sponsored by:

Rotors for 951S Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
So, in race/track conditions, how often are you replacing the Porsche rotors? I've been using the Zimmerman ones for years, and seem to get about 2 years of track duty out of them (averaging a dozen to 15 days on the track.)
Open ended questions, track configurations, weight and HP of car, race vs DE will yeild different results. Stock,solid rotors (if they did not warp first) 4 weekends of racing 2-3 sessions of practice and qualf. and one race each day, based on 2 day weekend. based on a 3000lb 944 S2. If I am running Road America subtract 1 weekend of life from the above #
Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Hi Jim,
I have the non MO30 Hub and spindle set up (Racers Edge Hubs) and the Racers Edge brake adapter. I flip the adapter around and the rotors fit without any problems. I have a set of alum hats that I am going to try this season (drop a little unsprung weight). The rotors are a bit more expensive but if I can get the 993 size and sloted instead of drilled they should last a couple more weekends (I hope). RA is a bear on brakes. After a weekend there, my pads go into the DE pile (more than 1/2 gone)
Thanks for the explanation.

I did check into using 993 rotors, since they are factory cross-drilled, but significantly cheaper than 968 M030 rotors. But measured the hat height, and figured they would not work. I would not have thought of trying that to get the fitment.

At this point, I have the option of using either M030 spindles and hubs, or mounting the S4 calipers to standard spindles and hubs using adaptors. Now just one more consideration...
Old 03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Also, there is not a consensus that Zimmerman is actually the OEM supplier for these rotors. Others have stated that Sebro is the OEM supplier to Porsche for rotors - although its possible that porsche gets different rotors from different suppliers, or changed suppliers over the years, or even uses multiple suppliers for the same rotors. Girling, ATE, and obviously Brembo also supply a lot of brake components to Porsche.
SHW Automotive has been the exclusive supplier of brake rotors to PAG since 1996.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
SHW Automotive has been the exclusive supplier of brake rotors to PAG since 1996.

Thanks Jason, that must have been what I heard once, not Sebro.

"SHW manufactures brake disk blanks, pre-processed disks and ready-to-install disks of differing designs, and its long experience makes it a valued partner in the development departments of car and brake manufacturers.

The specially developed material Luperlit ® - a pearlitic iron cast in various different alloys including highly carburized ones – features an optimal balance of damping and heat conducting characteristics. SHW brake disks not only withstand temperature differences of several hundred degrees without any problems but are also highly wear-resistant, and possess excellent braking characteristics when used with all conventional brake linings.

Numerous manufacturers of cars, sports cars and racing cars in Germany and abroad value internally ventilated SHW brake disks. Truck brake disks and clutch disks also feature the same high-quality, tried and tested characteristics, high production standard and above-average stability, even under extremely high loads."
Old 03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Open ended questions, track configurations, weight and HP of car, race vs DE will yeild different results. Stock,solid rotors (if they did not warp first) 4 weekends of racing 2-3 sessions of practice and qualf. and one race each day, based on 2 day weekend. based on a 3000lb 944 S2. If I am running Road America subtract 1 weekend of life from the above #
Based on the thread title, I was refering to a 951S track car. (with Pagid black and/or orange pads)

Two years for me covers about 4 race weekends and half a dozen driver's eds. So it sounds like I'm getting good life out of the rotors.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:16 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be nice to get the Sunset discount. Personally I get no benefit to using them as they are right in my back yard and still charge shipping.

Heck in fact we can't even get the discount... Oregon PCA gets one day a YEAR where we get 20% off parts, and it's a tuesday or wednesday on site only. I can get them from other suppliers cheaper than locally. That's what you get with no competition. Thanks Sunset...

Anyway, so far the Zims have held up for me... we'll see how they do over time. Mine were packaged exactly as one of the images posted above.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rotors for 951S Race Car