Sponsored by:

Fire System Discharge Port Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fire System Discharge Port Question

I am going to buy a 10 lb Halon 1301 system by Safecraft for my 944 S2. They have two models, one has a 2 port dicharge and the other has 3 port discharge. My plan is to put 2 nozels in the engine bay and one in the passenger compartment. I think that 2 port is adequate for my use. I do not foresee any need to change the stock gas tank with a fuel cell in a stock class car and do not plan to run a nozzles to the tank area. Is there any adventage to buying the 3 port discharge in my case?

TIA
Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I reciently installed 3.375L AFFF system. It came with 3 nozzles, but I installed 2. One pointed at me and the other pointed over the headers in the engine compartment. I figured it would be better to put more retardand down where I wanted it rather than using all 3 nozzles.

IMHO priority 1 of a fire system to protect me. Second priority is to put out an engine fire. With two nozzles I figure 50% of flow covers me and rest goes to the engine. 2 engine nozzles should leave on 33% for me and 66% for the engine. I think if there is fire in the back of the car is pretty rare and the number 1 goal is get me out of the car. Plus an in hatch fire is really close to me. Engine fires are probably more common, but the firewall between me and the engine should help alot.

Other thoughts?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

I just changed the mounting in my systems. I had a 5lb Halon system point at me with 2 nozzles, one high one low and the 3rd at the gas filler neck in the rear. I had a 1 lb AFFF system rigged up to spray the engine bay. I reversed this set up and am now pointing the 5lb system at the engine with 2 nozzles and will wire the 1lb to hit the rear of the car. My car interior is stripped so there will not be much to catch fire with out help of gas or oil in the cockpit. I figure I can get out of the car before a fire gets out of control. I would rather stop the source of the flames (most likely the engine bay, gas/oil line rupture). I did not think the 1lb system would be enough for a engine fire. I also have a 2.5 lb halon portable secured to the tunnel in case there is a dash fire, or something catches fire under the car. (think I have enough fire exth??)
Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

When installing discharge nozzles in the cockpit, care must be taken not to have the discharge aimed too high. In the case of the AFFF system, as is sprays foam, if that spray can reach your head/face area, obviously the foam will impair vision. In the case of Halon, as this gas supresses fire by excluding oxygen, having the nozzle discharging in the head/face area, it may be possible to acheive a sufficient concentration to supress the driver.

In either case, the results could be . . BAD.....
Old 03-15-2007, 07:06 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Nader. If you would not mine, email me of-line on the details of your system. I am considering the same. I'm sure you have done the research... Thanks. Don
Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GUMBALL
When installing discharge nozzles in the cockpit, care must be taken not to have the discharge aimed too high. In the case of the AFFF system, as is sprays foam, if that spray can reach your head/face area, obviously the foam will impair vision. In the case of Halon, as this gas supresses fire by excluding oxygen, having the nozzle discharging in the head/face area, it may be possible to acheive a sufficient concentration to supress the driver.

In either case, the results could be . . BAD.....
AFFF foam is like soapy water thus may also impair your ability to unbuckle or egress I would think. Where do point AFFF occupant nozzles? There seems to be no standards and mnufacturers like safecraft have no specific install positions for the driver. Safecraft is very good at playing it safe and saying that nozzle location for drivers is very race cockpit dependant and they do not give nor do they print specific instructions.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:46 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

my AFFF instructions said to point the nozzle to cover the lower half of the torso and legs. the other two nozzles I could route to the engine, but i'm still deciding where to put them at this time. i think M758s rationale is logical for more spray at the driver if needed.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that the main point of a fire system is to protect the driver. However, the logic of putting two nozels in the engine bay is that if you stop the fire there and prevent it from getting into the driver compartment, you go a long way to protect the driver.

I ordered a 10 lbs Halon system with two discharge ports, one goes to the engine to feed two nozels and one goes to a nozel at the driver's knee level. I plan to keep the hand held system where it is due to all the oil in the Accusump.

Next dilema will be where to mount the system. I think behind the passenger seat or I might as well give uo and put holes in my pristine rear seat bottoms.

Nader

Quick Reply: Fire System Discharge Port Question