Sponsored by:

For INSTRUCTORS/RACERS of 951's at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:43 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For INSTRUCTORS/RACERS of 951's at VIR

My question is how are you getting thru T-16.

My approach thus far has been to brake in a straight line, feed power turn left and stabilize power down the hill into turn 17. This does allow me to be on boost thru T-17 A getting 4th at track out coming up the hill on the front straight. So what I might have lost going into 16 I more than gained coming out of T17-A being well in the power.

My thought is: is there anything to be gained by trail-braking thru 16 and can it be done? I have not wanted to attempt it thus far. I am aware the rear engined cars will take this approach. However for our cars, they don't like to be on the brakes hard at high speed and attempting a turn. Also the initial turn in is down hill and off camber (probably further kicking the rear out) with a considerable erosion and drop off from the track surface. I didn't try it at last visit, but in reviewing tape last week it had me wondering.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to brake up to the compression bump in 17; it is the limiting factor for Hog Pen. Therefore, IMHO I think that the best way is to go as deep as possible into 16 and brake through it up to 17, wait for the compression, and get on the power. Of course, I'll know better on Friday.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Huh. Missed this thread earlier. I concur with Larry. Also, ren, you don't have to be at high speed & turning. What you wanna do, IMHO, is to slightly trailbrake...and concurrent with you rolling off the brake pedal, roll on the gas at the same time to spool up your turbo. This will really help squat the rear of your car & reduce any tendency to oversteer there.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally agree with Larry and VR. I am not driving a 951 but I am sure the process is similar. I go as deep as possible into 16 which almost forces me to trailbrake into 17 which really helps with rotation going through hogpen. Even with all that I still can't be fast enought o use ALL THE TRACK on exit of hogpen coming into the top of the front straigh (17a). One of the days.........
Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I turn in late and trailbrake the heck out of the first left, get on the throttle for just a sec, then brake a bit between 16 and 17, and then get on the throttle hard just a bit before the compression referenced above and ride a slight yaw angle all the way to track out where the track catches the car. While not in a 951, it is a front engined car.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Should be on or near full power just before compression/bump. This is in a fairly high HP car but not a 951
Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Should be on or near full power just before compression/bump. This is in a fairly high HP car but not a 951
Yup...you do not want to be coasting through the compression. Being on throttle helps settle the car through there, and the compression gives enough grip that you can be on throttle HARD.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You have to brake up to the compression bump in 17; it is the limiting factor for Hog Pen. Therefore, IMHO I think that the best way is to go as deep as possible into 16 and brake through it up to 17, wait for the compression, and get on the power. Of course, I'll know better on Friday.
Isn't the compression bump just after 17?

In my S2 which is somewhat similar to a 951 I take it one of two ways (I'll be testing these this weekend now that my suspension is fully set up.)

I tap the brakes just enough to set the front end going into 16 and apply moderate throttle through the short straight. I apply more throttle just after turn into 17 so that by the compression bump I'm at full throttle. This puts me at redline at track out comming onto the straight. With the turbo transmission you won't be at redline which should allow you to shift into 4th after the car starts down the front straight.

The latest way I've tried it is to shift up to 4th between 16 and 17. I'm at the lower end off the torque sweet spot for my car but this allows me to actually carry more speed through 17 and 17a and not have to worry about shifting at track out. It also gets me to 5th about 100 yds earlier comming down the front straight...so I guess this might be the faster line.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

for what it's worth here is a lap I ran in 05 - dry line has just emerged late in qualifying. In the last section I run in 4th. Quite often I find I'm quicker runing i a higher gear even if I have to wait a few milli-seconds for boost. IE avoid 2 shifts and concentrate on best line, entry speed and throttle application
http://members.rennlist.com/bill935k...best%20lap.wmv
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
for what it's worth here is a lap I ran in 05[/url]
Now that is just a silly amount of power!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Nice video Bill. Your car is either wicked fast or those other cars mistook the race track for the parade route.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:06 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Trailbraking into 16 certainly helps to rotate the dumbell car. If you have the left-foot sensitivity (I don't yet), you can LFB before turning into 17A to keep the turbo spooled. You should certainly have the hammer down (no lifting) before the compression area.

Try it a few different ways and use your RPM at the start/finish line to determine which is faster for you.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts

Geez Louise...no kidding!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

You know what they say "there is no such thing as too much power", actually to me as far as racing goes torque you can hook up in the low end of the gears coming off the corners is much more important than what the car makes for HP at 7 grand.

Back to 17A -B
I never feel I am getting back to the throttle early enough 17A, I'm working on my left foot and this is definitly a corner IMHO that needs it to setup the entry right and have the power available at the right moment
Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really think that part of the "proper technique" depends on your car, your HP and the stiffness of the suspension. The only car that I have driven at VIR was my GT3, which had lots of power and a relatively soft suspension. That car would compress, rebound, and then settle. If you tried to accelerate at full power through there when it was on the rebound, the back would step out bigtime.

I'm thinking that the RSA with it's stiffer suspension and less power should allow me to be more aggressive through there.

Quick Reply: For INSTRUCTORS/RACERS of 951's at VIR