Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Ever been to "the dieselstop.com" to read about all the "Powerstroke" nightmares over there (6.0). Makes the Cayenne seem like perfection. Where's that coolaid?. It looks like Ford really knows how to screw over their customers.
I'm leaning towards the Duramax with the allison transmission
Begin
No, I've never been to that diesel forum, or any others really.

I am fortunate in that a family relative owns 2 Ford dealerships, so I can just ask for their experiences and insight when it comes to sales and service. I usually just ask their lead diesel tech what he sees and read what the latest Ford engineering bulletins are mentioning.
AFAIK, all of the early 6.0 issues were addressed and FWIW, everyone is entering a bit of a new realm with added emission controls on the new diesel engines.
One issue with the later 6.0's appears to be EGR valves becoming 'clogged' due to running low cetane fuel and/or high idle duty cycle requirements (setting off a check engine light after about 20K+ miles); I would expect this to be a very common problem with all the 'modern' diesels that have had EGR and other emissions devices added to them if you don't run a high enough cetane rating (45 minimum...if you test your cetane rating, you might be surprised how low it really is). Easily managed with diesel fuel additive/cetane booster added with each tank fillup. As an emissions device it is covered under a 7/100 warranty.

As I've said, HD diesel manufacturer preference (Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy) is a bit like Coke vs Pepsi preference.....or it's like a Rennlist oil viscosity discussion.
I'm leaning towards the Duramax with the allison transmission[/QUOTE]
End
Old 03-17-2007, 01:01 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking over the service records for my '04 6.0L ... the only issue (other than general maintenance) has been a clogged EGR valve. It occurred at about 25k miles. I started using the cetane booster (read about it on powerstroke.org) on my last fill up.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Ford now supplies cetane booster appropriate for ULSD- just got some last week. Red top for cetane booster, black top for anti-gel... their earlier stuff had a sticker on it saying NOT used with ULSD- new stuff says "new formula."

Quick Reply: Tow vehicle as daily driver