LMAO...what can I get for $500?
Something from JC Whitney?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-11-2007 | 10:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Something from JC Whitney?

Sweet...

Old 03-11-2007 | 10:56 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Ok, if you want the real list of issue, I can tell you them all.... my company has over 30 Powerstroke powered E and F series Ford and we put about 1 million miles per year on aggregate. The cam sensor was real pain until we figured out what it was. It affected both 7.3l and 6.0l engines, but not every one. The 2003's (most but not all) had a problem with the lining on the fuel tank dissintergrating and fouling up the whole system. The ball joints are rountine maintenance if you drive into NYC everyday. We've lost a few turbos along the way and an odd ball tranny. The trans have been our fault as we did not check the fluid on a routine basis and if it gets low (and I mean empty) it will cook the tranny. Check your fluid every oil change or at least every other. As for longevity, my Excursion has 106k and drives like new. As long as you do good maintenance, they have proven reasonably reliable. Our experiences are probably worse than you will have as these trucks are used for heavy commercial work and in addition to 30-40k city (not highway) miles, most of the trucks idle all day long to run compressors, inverters, PTOs and other odds and ends. Basically we beat the hell out of these trucks and they have fared reasonable well. As for a daily driver, diesel is easy to find and parking... just find two hondas next to each other and park on top of them.
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:00 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

This is great feedback - I appreciate everyone's input. Haven't made a decision yet, like whether it will be my daily, or if I'll get the wife's accord and it will be her daily. She REALLY likes an '04 Navigator we saw last night (cha-ching cha-ching) so who knows, may end up with one of those. Or I might just say screw it all and get a beater for myself for the next year or so until I'm ready to actually start towing.
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:28 PM
Jess
Instructor

I'm a contractor and have always driven big trucks.

My previous was a V-10 F-250 crew cab, my current is a GMC 2500 with a duramax.

I can't complain a bit about the Ford's reliability. It was a great truck that went 160k miles with the only work being a set of brake pads. That being said, driving it every day was like driving a tractor. It got 11 mpg all day city or highway and about 6 mpg towing an enclosed trailer.

My GMC is BMW-like compared to it. It is a truck that is pleasent to drive every day. It turns sharper, which is great for parking. It tows anything like it's not there. It has a great stereo and super comfortable seats. The ride is very compliant compared to the Ford which really beat me up. The GMC gets 18 mpg empty and around ten towing if I keep it under 75. It will tow at ninety no problem but the mileage drops to around 7 mpg.

Would I rather drive a BMW 540 everyday? Of cousrse I would. But, given that I don't have the money or room for both, the GMC is a wonderful comprimise vehicle.

Jess
Old 03-16-2007 | 07:22 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Well it's settled. We picked up an 04 Navigator with all the little doo-dads that make my wife happy, but make me think "god look all this cheaply made crap that's going to break". Like that air suspension stuff. Didn't notice before buying it but now looks like the left rear is about 1-2 inches low. Great riding "truck" though, and now my wife can't complain about her car for at least a few years - and I can tow. How can you beat that deal?
Old 03-16-2007 | 07:58 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

I have a 99 F350 Lariat Crew Cab Longbed Diesel Dually and it tows great. I used it for 3 years as a daily driver and loved it....but it is overkill for most people. As much as I loved that truck, it is a compromise. There are just certain places a 22' almost 8' wide vehicle has trouble negotiating. It also isn't a greta vehicle to arrive at a restraunt and trust the valet to park ( I never let them touch it )

I now tow (most times) with a 06 Nissan Armada LE rated to tow 9100lbs. This was my 1st venture into an import (something I swore never to do)and I am very happy. For all but the heaviest tows I prefer the Nissan with all it's comfort, seating for 8, better ride, better handling, etc. I have towed a VERY big 3 horse slant horse aluminum over steel frame trailer with a dressing room, front and rear ramps with no problems. My only addition was a weight distribution hitch, which the trailer guy recommended be used with this trailer for any vehicle short of a 1 ton dually.

It seems unlike MANY manufacturers, Nissan understates their HP/TQ figures. At work I drive daily in the Suburban/Yukon vehicles with similar or better claimed power.. and I call BS The Nissan feels like the Porsche when I change from the Sub or Yukon!

When towing is it the F350 Diesel??? No, but then again it would tow a one car enclosed trailer with my P-car, and a bunch of people in comfort...NO PROBLEM.
Old 03-16-2007 | 09:42 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
I have a 99 F350 Lariat Crew Cab Longbed Diesel Dually ..... It also isn't a greta vehicle to arrive at a restraunt and trust the valet to park ( I never let them touch it )
About a year ago, we took my F250 crew cab 4x4 diesel to Hotel Zsa Zsa in Dallas (upscale boutique hotel) for a private party we were invited to (Jay W., thanks for inviting us!). I was wondering where the valet was going to park it. When we left at the end of the night, I found out... They had parked it in a field across the street where a new building was under construction.
Old 03-16-2007 | 09:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

A picture my son took of our new tow vehicle

Can't wait for our first race in May to try it out... just hope we don't have trouble finding ULSD fuel along the way...
Old 03-16-2007 | 10:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

But you already knew what I was going to say.
Best of luck with the new vehicle.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding ULSD.
Old 03-17-2007 | 12:27 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

But you already knew what I was going to say.
Best of luck with the new vehicle.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding ULSD.
Ever been to "the dieselstop.com" to read about all the "Powerstroke" nightmares over there (6.0). Makes the Cayenne seem like perfection. Where's that coolaid?. It looks like Ford really knows how to screw over their customers.

I'm leaning towards the Duramax with the allison transmission
Old 03-17-2007 | 12:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colm
Good way to lean, Allison makes the best automatic in the trucking industry (I have speced them for 20 years for concrete trucks..) and the Duramax is a proven design that puts out great power. Add to that the luxury aspect and comfort of the new Chevy/GMC's and you get the whole picture.
Old 03-17-2007 | 12:52 AM
kgorman
Drifting

oh the sky is falling! my 6.0 has been fantastic.

Originally Posted by Colm
Ever been to "the dieselstop.com" to read about all the "Powerstroke" nightmares over there (6.0). Makes the Cayenne seem like perfection. Where's that coolaid?. It looks like Ford really knows how to screw over their customers.

Old 03-17-2007 | 02:30 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

I made a similar decision recently. I just sold my Honda (was my daily) and am trying to currently sell my older GMC 1500 (tow vehicle) and replaced it with an '04 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L PSD, 4x4, short bed, 28k miles. I have only had it a few weeks so far, but I have no complaints. The truck rides well and has plenty of power. I have not pulled anything with it yet.

Old 03-17-2007 | 05:24 AM
2bridges
Drifting

I opted for the killer 8.1 (496) gas motor/ allison trans in my GMC 2500HD.
Turns out is no longer available - buncha pussies

I absolutely LOVE IT!!! tows/haul the **** outta anything, and talk about smoke the tires - OH YEAH!!! LOL
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tow vehicle as daily driver