Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 break-in procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that the R3S04 were 2 sec. a lap faster then the R6's at the Glen. I have spoke to others like me that have be running Hoosiers for years and the R3S04's were the fastest. But you only get 300 miles out of a set vs. 850 miles out of the R6's.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David K.
I found that the R3S04 were 2 sec. a lap faster then the R6's at the Glen. I have spoke to others like me that have be running Hoosiers for years and the R3S04's were the fastest. But you only get 300 miles out of a set vs. 850 miles out of the R6's.
Hmmm. I have a set of 3 year old R3S04s. Do you think that they'd still be fast?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hmmm. I have a set of 3 year old R3S04s. Do you think that they'd still be fast?
Only if you put them on Fred Flintstones car........
Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Azikara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar question as I'm gettting ready to purchase a new set for this season. I have two interesting data points to go by:

1. My first set of S04s were run for a few sessions in very cold temps in October at Road America. I then removed them and let them sit until May the next year. They spent the winter outside in plastic bags (Chicago cold). I then put them on for a race in May and used these tires until late summer at which time I had over 30 heat cycles on them and they were still within a second of my best times at Autobahn. It is possible I was getting better with the car but they just went and went forever. My car was 2450 lbs.

2. For a race at Gingerman I put new sticker SO4s on the car and ran under VERY hot conditions. I was in two tough races that weekend an dhad to drive the wheels off of the car. The guy I was battling was running Goodyear slicks and his eventually got too greasy to stick and I managed to get by. My SO4s were also pretty greasy at this point. These tires only lasted about 13 heat cycles.

So I'm a big advocate of heat cycling them and then leaving them for as long as you can. Even the Hoosier website says the same thing. I think it makes a huge difference to the wear and consistency. It's just tricky to do and you need plenty of time and sets of wheels.

Tristan

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 break-in procedure