Sponsored by:

Shaving Street Tires -- And Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 09:19 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Post Shaving Street Tires -- And Rain?

Is there any downside to running 4/32 tread in the rain? Is this going to compromise handling more than full tread would?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Depends on how hard it rains. In a downpour full tread is best. In a light rain or where the track is just damp, the shaved tread is best. I even run Hoosiers when it is just a wet track but no puddling. R compounds are a lot better in the rain than what most believe. The worst rain tires are full tread street tires IMO.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:15 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by JackOlsen:
<strong>Is there any downside to running 4/32 tread in the rain? Is this going to compromise handling more than full tread would?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I take it you have been looking at all the weather forecasts. Is there rain in the forecast for OTC?
Old 03-31-2003, 01:35 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>The worst rain tires are full tread street tires IMO.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Greg, I disagree. In heavy rain, full-depth street tires are great. At least they were on my C4S.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by DJ:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>The worst rain tires are full tread street tires IMO.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Greg, I disagree. In heavy rain, full-depth street tires are great. At least they were on my C4S.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I guess it is a relative thing. Run on some grooved Hoosiers and you may see the light.
Preferably the auto-x compound.
Of course running a C4S in the rain is cheating.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:58 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I was always told the Hoosier Dirt tire was the best racing rain tire. Anyone try them?
Old 03-31-2003, 11:48 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by DJ:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>The worst rain tires are full tread street tires IMO.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Greg, I disagree. In heavy rain, full-depth street tires are great. At least they were on my C4S.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I guess it is a relative thing. Run on some grooved Hoosiers and you may see the light.
Preferably the auto-x compound.
Of course running a C4S in the rain is cheating.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'm talking about heavy rain. Those Hoosiers would be hydroplaning. And yes, the C4S in the rain is cheating. But it's legal cheating.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

You need a soft tire for rain use. Something much softer than a dry racing slick. Street tires are anything but. A true wet racing tire will be turned to junk very quickly on a dry track.

When I used to race karts, I'd often see people go out in practice on wet tires on a drying track. By the end of their session, the tires would be absolute junk.

Also, 24" gold plated spinner wheels help reduce wheelspin and brake lock up, especially in the wet.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:31 PM
JJG
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni:
<strong>I was always told the Hoosier Dirt tire was the best racing rain tire. Anyone try them?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">For what its worth, the PO of my 944 racer gave me a set of Hoosier Dirt's - said he used them in the rain. I haven't had a need to try them yet, but it opens up a third track at Willow

Jeff
Old 03-31-2003, 04:05 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
I will second Graig here. On the morning practice session at TWS before the club race, it was raining lightly and I was on R compound Pilot Sport Cups. Beyond belief I actually turned very fast laps close to the dry times. To be honest when the heavens opened i chickened out and stayed in ( lots of water paddles), some people put on some street rubber (the S03 was the most popular) and others rain hoosiers.
If you are running the R-Michellins on their website there is an instruction on how to cut them for rain use.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:24 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
I don't think the Hoosier Dirts are legal for PCA racing, double-check that if that was the application you had in mind.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hoosier has a very nice rain radial that is PCA legal and works very well.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:40 PM
brownd911
Track Day

Heavy is a relative term. Tread depth is required to disapate anything more than a damp track conditions. some tires use a high silica content tread compound thsat is disigned for wet conditions, the Pilot Sport CUP is an example of that - and does well in damp conditions and the previous post is correct the Michelin site does make recomendations for re-groving for wet conditions (www.michelinman.com and follow the prompts to the Sport CUP area) but if you're a PCA racer, modifying a DOT tire is considered illegal. As well, the Hoosier dirt tracker is not a speed rated tire suficient for PCA racing and is not legal either but works well in wet conditions - be careful there as it does take a different set-up to work properly - if you're using radials for dry tires. If you invest in a dedicated set of wet tires and wheels it'll never rain again.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:55 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Dirt Stockers are the Schiznit for good rain (not just damp) - it's all that anyone uses in IT (where they are legal). I've got a set, of course. They WILL roast if the track dries out on you. Typical IT practice is to run the Hoosier R3SO3's in the dry, including damp track; if there's standing water, you get out the Dirt Stockers. Very few if any run intermediates, at least here in CENDIV. Not that there's no need for intermediates; we've all experienced that overhanging cloud and sprinkles on the grid! It just takes a lot of cohones to stay put and resist the overwhelming urge to pee/run back and put on Dirt Stockers!

Quick Reply: Shaving Street Tires -- And Rain?