Sponsored by:

which porsche to club race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 11:55 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts
Post which porsche to club race?

I don't want to start a war but there are a dizzying array of Porsches out there to club race. So what is the ideal one to want to race these days with minimum effort, i.e. an off the shelf buy and minimum post purchase things to have to buy to go fast? GT2? carrerra4? gt3? boxsters? 914-6's or old 911 turbos?

TIA
Old 05-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really don't know that much about racing, but its all in the size of you wallet, and how pressing is your need to succeed. Just about any Porsche will do!
Old 05-11-2003, 12:43 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
GT3's are very competitive out of the box, but do not expect not to have any mods done. Just a racing suspension can set you back a dyzzying 7 grand. Better look for a racing car for sale which has all the mods done and ready for the track. Keep in mind maintenance costs, tires rebuilt of parts, engine etc after a certain number of races. It all depends on you. There are no cheap HP or track prep to be fighting for the overall lead. If that is not your purpose then there are other more economical avenues to explore and a stock GT3 will give you plenty of grunt and fun on the track.
Having said all that have you raced before?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:25 PM
TWA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tough question, depends on how dedicated you are, how much you want to win (someone said that already), and most importantly, how much do you want to spend?

costs go well beyond the cost of the car: tires, maint, entry fees, hotels, trailering the car to the track, spending 10 weekends/yr at the track and all the time prepariing.

once you're at that level, mods aren't usally an afterthought... you're looking for every advantage. so no matter the car, it won't be long before you're working on it, trying to improve it (hopefully with equal doses to improving the driver too).

fatbillybob, i suspect you don't really mean 'racing', wheel-to-wheel diving into a corner beating others to the line, you mean drivers education/open tracking. there's a HUGE difference between the two. the in-between position between open tracking and racing is time trialing.

and if you do mean racing, try something cheap first, like karting, or buy-into a skip barber weekend or something. that way you can inexpensively see if you have the 'disease'
Old 05-15-2003, 06:26 PM
RS racer
Intermediate

I'm learning that race an minimum effort should never be used in the same sentence.

There doesn't seem to be a good or bad car to race but I'm please I have a car with good competition in my area. You could have the best GT 2 car but if it's the only one each weekend the "race" will become a glorified track day.

We have about 10 C class RSA's in the NW and I can always count on strong well matched competion.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I would look at a 993 Cup Car or a 993 RS ClubSPort. They are generally relliable and quick cars. A 996GT3Cup car would also be a good choice.

A cheaper factory race car that would also be good is a 944 Turbo Cup or a 964 Cup car.

The 911 Cup cars are great because it is not a hp game, it is the closest PCA has to a spec class. All cars are raced exactly as delivered from the factory.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:26 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

The great thing about Porsche Club Racing is that no matter what platform you choose, they will have you handicapped with competitively similar cars. I chose a 993 for a Class D racer only because that was the platform I was used to during Driver's Ed. I was comfortable with it so I stayed with the model.

What the other posts have stated is that the decision to "campaign" a car whether it be at PCA Club Races or only DE's, you can expect a lot more costs than just purchasing the car. Be absolutely sure that is the way you want to go...then forget worrying about the costs and have fun! Let me recommend on track insurance. You will need it!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by PMS993:
<strong> Let me recommend on track insurance. You will need it!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hey Mac...

How is your car coming along?
Old 05-16-2003, 05:26 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howdy Sloth;

Claim filed, check sent, car's at the body shop now. Hope to have it done in 6 - 8 weeks. My first event back will probably be Atlanta DE in August. You know, gotta get back in the saddle. Then, DE's at Roebling and CMP. I'll plan on Club racing CMP in November and Roebling in December. You up for these?

Amazing what damage you can do in a very short period of time. If you read this fatbillybob, there's a lot of truth to the comment, "It's not if it's going to happen, it's when." So, be prepared.

Mac
Old 05-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by PMS993:
<strong>Howdy Sloth;

Claim filed, check sent, car's at the body shop now. Hope to have it done in 6 - 8 weeks. My first event back will probably be Atlanta DE in August. You know, gotta get back in the saddle. Then, DE's at Roebling and CMP. I'll plan on Club racing CMP in November and Roebling in December. You up for these?
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Glad to hear your car is coming back together. Where are you having the work done?

I am going to try for a DE some time this summer. Perhaps Roebling in early Sept., but I really want to check out Barber Motorsports Park. My old man is there for the Grand Am race this weekend, he keeps calling to torment me with how great the facility is. Not to sure about CMP, but will probably make the Roebling race in December.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:34 PM
bobc4s
Intermediate

You should check out PBOC they are a Florida Club of Porsche's & BMW's they have Drivers Ed. and Club Races at Homestead, Moroso, Sebring, Roebling, Road Atlanta and the new Barber Motorsports park on line at <a href="http://www.pbocflorida.com" target="_blank">www.pbocflorida.com</a>
Old 05-18-2003, 10:16 PM
P-on
Instructor

Well now my interest is peaked in two matters:

First I'd like to club race my 82 SC someday (stock class) but was wondering just how likely it is I'll blow an engine, hit a wall...etc. I know there are costs but I try to focus on probabilities. How many cars that are actually raced in stock class (or any class) actually become toast?

Second, explain about on track insurance, what it covers...etc.

Many thanks.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:13 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Mac,
Do you mind sharing the info on which company you used for track insurance?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2003, 11:22 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

First off, there are few and far between incidents that I would refer to as "toasting" of a race car. Be realistic, we are not doing 180mph into a hairpin. But, also being realistic, things do happen either by track conditions that we are unused to or as in my case "running out of talent." In Atlanta, it was learning that rain tires take longer to warm up than racing slicks.

Now for insurance, I use a company called Laurel Consulting Group. The contact is Peter Sereda. Toll free is 888-305-4442. It is an "on-track" physical crash damage indemnity policy. Coverage is on chassis, drivetrain, engine and wheels but only for incidents actually occurring on the track. Normal wear and tear, something happening in the pits or while being towed are not covered. "On-track" means during DE's and Club Races. Call them for a quote and more details. It isn't cheap and the deductible isn't small and a lot of "on-track" experiences aren't anything but scrapes etc. Mine was just the luck of the draw. Sure got my attention as it would anyone. Boy was I glad to have a policy in place!

If you call Laurel, tell them Mac McGehee sent you. I need to be on their good side these days.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:13 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Sloth:

[/qb]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">but I really want to check out Barber Motorsports Park. My old man is there for the Grand Am race this weekend, he keeps calling to torment me with how great the facility is.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Flew over it a few weeks ago. Just a little north and west of Birmingham. It's been called the VIR of Alabama. That would be some fun!!! DE then a Club Race. We need to lobby for it on next year's schedule.

Mac

Quick Reply: which porsche to club race?