Cooling front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 02:11 AM
Coleco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by keith:
<STRONG>keeps rocks out of you calipers/pads? </STRONG>
I guess that's why in the Porsche Parts Catalog they call it a guard. Which makes me want to keep it, but like you said Adam it's a heat collector which is bad especially on the track.

I use to have an A4 which some people reported as having the brakes during wet conditions not kick in for 1-3 seconds . I never had this happen to me thank god, but I think even Audi acknowledged the problem and said not to remove the backing plates because it helps keep the pads and rotors from getting wet(which they believed to be the problem). I don't know if they ever found out if that was the problem or if there even was a problem(remember that sudden acceleration bull**** story poor audi). So finally my question has anyone reported a similar problem in wet conditions in P-cars with the guards removed?

Just thinking out loud...any thoughts?

OT: You know what kills me is that a lot of people still to this day don't know the truth about that 60 Minutes story and I was 10 when I saw it.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:09 PM
DERSIX
Advanced

The slot in the pad is what removes the water from the disc under wet conditions not the dust shied or backing plate, which is strickly for debris. These plates should be removed for cooling as was suggested earlier.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 08-31-2001, 10:35 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I too have mine removed for cooling purposes at the track and certainly don't put them back on for street driving since I threw them away when I removed them a year ago. Car is now approaching 100k miles and no signs of problems with the removal. I did 50000 miles on my old car without them and no problems there either with lots of track days. I think the extra cooling is helpful. Haven't run hoses yet, but will soon.

E. J.
Old 08-31-2001, 03:13 PM
Coleco
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the help.

BTW nice website E.J..

Quick Reply: Cooling front brakes