Sponsored by:

Race Tracks that are no more....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911URGE
How many people remember Orange County International Raceway in Irvine, CA? It was used mostly for NHRA drag racing but also had a 2 mile road course.
Hey, if we're talking drag strips there is the oh so historical Lions Dragway.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
Mid-America Raceway is still there and owned by the original family The dragstrip portion is the only part still utilized. The road course is there, but full of cracks and weeds. This actually happened compliments of that major turd ball of a NASCAR track, Gateway International. They pretty much made the deals and put the squeeze on getting rid of MAR. Here in middle america there is a lot more stock car mentality than sport car. Part of the deal for the original investors in GIR was that there would be no competition from Mid-America. They agreed to put in a "road course" in the infield of GIR, which is a dangerous POS-surrounded by walls and chain link fence. Oh well, at least at GIR if you are looking for a crack ***** after doing the oval, you don't have to look too far..LOL!
It is true that there are subdivisions all around the old MAR and it will succomb to them as well.
The original GIR was a true road course. I thought the StL SCCA was a major investor, but that was some 25 years ago and my middle aged brain is fuzzy (The Wizzard says he'll give me a new brain next week). It was only later on that the original road course was torn up and the crappy oval was built.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mid-America Raceway is still there and owned by the original family The dragstrip portion is the only part still utilized. The road course is there, but full of cracks and weeds. This actually happened compliments of that major turd ball of a NASCAR track, Gateway International. They pretty much made the deals and put the squeeze on getting rid of MAR. Here in middle america there is a lot more stock car mentality than sport car. Part of the deal for the original investors in GIR was that there would be no competition from Mid-America. They agreed to put in a "road course" in the infield of GIR, which is a dangerous POS-surrounded by walls and chain link fence. Oh well, at least at GIR if you are looking for a crack ***** after doing the oval, you don't have to look too far..LOL!
It is true that there are subdivisions all around the old MAR and it will succomb to them as well.
I like Gateway. VERY fast T1 and T2 is pretty quick. The chicane is fast but the walls force you to make a decision about whether it is worth trying it flat. Track out to the oval portion takes you right to the wall and, again, you decide if you are willing to risk a brush with the wall for that extra 1 mph exit speed.

I think it has a nice flow and takes ***** to drive fast. I held the DSR lap record for a while.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:36 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geo-
You aren'y fuzzy, there was a better road course initially which got nuked for the crap-wad they have now.
Sunday Driver- Walls and ***** don't mix in my world; ifn you need to prove your ball strength there are much better places to do it than that ****hole.

Nick
Old 02-24-2007, 06:41 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

FWIW - Road America was almost plowed under not that long ago. Some developer from Chicago wanted to make a condo resort. The story I was told, if it were not for the SCCA Chicago region owning such a large chunk of stock (and refued to sell unlike many other stock holders) it would be gone. Tommy Thompson (I think) added Road America to the historical society - so no matter what, RA is now safe.

More tracks need to be made historical to protect them. Its a shame so many are gone and going away. What is with people building $1 million houses next to a race track then complaining about the noise (and winning)???? Do people on golf courses bitch about golf ***** in their living room?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Do people on golf courses bitch about golf ***** in their living room?
Yes they do surprisingly enough. I've heard of this from folks who play on courses they live right off of - folks have bitched at them and chased them away. Pretty silly IMHO.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:48 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geo-
You aren'y fuzzy, there was a better road course initially which got nuked for the crap-wad they have now.
Sunday Driver- Walls and ***** don't mix in my world; ifn you need to prove your ball strength there are much better places to do it than that ****hole.

Nick
So what tracks do you like?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Ones with a lot of unobstructed runoffs...LOL! No, seriously, Autobahn, VIR, Road America, and some smaller tracks like Hallett and Putnam. The biggest problem with GIR (besides the unhealthy environs) is the lack of passing areas thus> traffic jams behind slower drivers. The whole place stinks, literally.
I do respect your DSR lap record and mean nothing to diminish it. I just have a genuine dislike for St. Louis and GIR in particular. It's my problem...
Old 02-25-2007, 01:27 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Never raced at the new Gateway, but the old track was fun even though it looked like it was built on a nuclear waste dump... raced there several times in the 90's in a SRF.
Got to admit the oval walls scare me a little. The new Iowa Speedway in Newton will be holding some races on a short 1.1 mile road course but they won't use the banking of the oval, just the apron...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bridgehampton for me. There was some talk years ago, Trump was going to buy the property and make into race track, but that went south.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 PM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

Meadowdale Raceway was in Carpentersville, Il not West Dundee. East of the Fox River and 5 minutes from my office. Sure would have loved to drive that one.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:30 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

St Louis...UGH..not sure what the hell it was called back in '85, but I raced there in a Golf and a Golf GTI in the Firehawk Compact and Touring races. Never got so dehydrated in my life.

There were no kerbs and rocks were flying about as cars cut the corners. Actually dodged some of the bigger ones, but needed a new windscreen after that race.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
darylcjackson
Advanced

Bridgehampton for me as well. The elevation changes and the variety of corners were awesome. I got a chance to do it on a motorcycle and a couple car DEs. Even at my slow speed the end of the main straight was daunting because you couldn't see the first turn until you got under the bridge. Real commitment. The only downside was the sand and the poor facilities.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
I like Gateway. VERY fast T1 and T2 is pretty quick. The chicane is fast but the walls force you to make a decision about whether it is worth trying it flat. Track out to the oval portion takes you right to the wall and, again, you decide if you are willing to risk a brush with the wall for that extra 1 mph exit speed.

I think it has a nice flow and takes ***** to drive fast. I held the DSR lap record for a while.
I like the flow too. The several bad places to have an off per lap makes for very ahh.... focused driving.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, the same as Bull... Riverside International Raceway and Ontario Motor Speedway.

Riverside evokes memories of the RS550 spyders (Ken Miles) running agains the 4.9 Ferarri of Dan Gurney, and the 4.5 Maserati of Carrol Shelby. Scarabs, birdcage Maserati, Lister, oh gadzooks. Phil Hill used to run there too. I could drive Riverside with my eyes closed. <sniff>

Ontario was an amazing and still fairly new facility when it was torn down. The full course was 19 turns and part of the banked oval... kinda like Calif Speedway. But 19 turns... I honestly used to get lost out there, and would forget which section I was on.

Quick Reply: Race Tracks that are no more....