Sponsored by:

Race Tracks that are no more....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Oh yeah, the SCCA did a series in Sports Car about the "Ghost Tracks" a few years back. It was very interesting.
Actually that is still active and the most recent Sports Car had another set of Ghost Tracks.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will Lime Rock be a candidate for this thread anytime soon?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bridgehampton for me. Great track. If someone like Panoz could have saved it and repaved it, it'd be near the top in North America.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Anyone remember the old Marlboro track in Maryland? I have a black and white calendar that shows some of the cars that raced there, including a flying AC Cobra on the cover.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:53 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bridge. I borrowed a 944TS instead of my NA and they let us drive past dark because it was one of the last open weekends. With this car, I could pass most everyone. 'Til it got dark and I realized it was the "end." Very few stayed out and I got slow. Don't laugh but I had started crying, also had not realized I was afraid of the dark.....
Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Greenwood Raceway was (is) about 20 miles from my house, south of Des Moines. The track is still kind of there with trees growing up in the middle of parts of it. I drove around it 15 or so years ago with the owner of the land and it was beyond repair then- now it's home to cows and some earth moving equipment- sad as it hosted some pretty famous cars and drivers back in the 60's, just as I was getting in to the car scene in high school. It was featured in one of the ghost track stories in Sports Car magazine- that's been a great series and yes, the latest issue had another installment.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:54 AM
tlark
Drifting

I remember MAR, I think it was near Wentzville, MO.

Some of the Mid-west folk may remember hearing about this place below. I have actually ran there in a kart and its stupid fast in a 250 rotax. Take a look at the track map and the photos, you won't see any run-off area at this place.

http://www.crasherama.dk/features/la...egarnett1.html
Old 02-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you interested in some great historical information and pictures of sports car racing in the 50's and 60's, check out www.nationalroadrally.com . This site has hundreds of photos and some great information of the sports car races that used to be held at the Cumberland Airport in Maryland. Currently, a group of guys have started autocrossing at this site with hopes of bringing motorsports of all types back to the Cumberland area.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Florida State Fairgrounds just outside of Tampa. IMSA ran here once or twice before the neighbors shut them down due to noise complaints (after errecting 30' high noise walls in an attempt to decrease the volume).

You can see the old circuit meadering amongst the parking lots surrounding the midway and expo halls.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2007, 11:04 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

I think you also have to include the Augusta International Raceway.
They are trying to preserve it now - even have a preservation society formed and a musuem...
http://www.historicmustang.com/augus...rnational.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Geo
For real? It's been sold to developers?

I used to live in StL and have been to MAR several times, including the very same race where PL showed up. I never set a wheel on the track, but I have lots of good memories (and good photos) from there. That first turn was daunting. It was the site of many a wreck. Mark Webber, the well known sports car photographer used to try to get to turn one for the start of the pinwheel, er, Formula Ford race to watch the carnage.

Last I heard it was still an operating drag strip. Too bad it was never revitalized. Gateway was built right after I left StL and it was originally a good road course from what I understand. Then they got into the oval business and it's not so good from what I understand. MAR could have been a great track.

Bummer.
You can see in the pic I posted on the first thread that earth movers were busy tearing into the track, and subdivisions are already at the edge. It was also not a great drap strip. Don't see how it could still be running.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:55 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

How many people remember Orange County International Raceway in Irvine, CA? It was used mostly for NHRA drag racing but also had a 2 mile road course.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911URGE
How many people remember Orange County International Raceway in Irvine, CA? It was used mostly for NHRA drag racing but also had a 2 mile road course.
Ah yes!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:02 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Didn't Second Creek Raceway just recently close down and become homes recently??
Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Mid-America Raceway is still there and owned by the original family The dragstrip portion is the only part still utilized. The road course is there, but full of cracks and weeds. This actually happened compliments of that major turd ball of a NASCAR track, Gateway International. They pretty much made the deals and put the squeeze on getting rid of MAR. Here in middle america there is a lot more stock car mentality than sport car. Part of the deal for the original investors in GIR was that there would be no competition from Mid-America. They agreed to put in a "road course" in the infield of GIR, which is a dangerous POS-surrounded by walls and chain link fence. Oh well, at least at GIR if you are looking for a crack ***** after doing the oval, you don't have to look too far..LOL!
It is true that there are subdivisions all around the old MAR and it will succomb to them as well.

Quick Reply: Race Tracks that are no more....