Sponsored by:

Trailering with a UHaul

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001 | 01:36 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Trailering with a UHaul

I am on the brink of purchasing a trailer to use to take my 930 to DE events.

However I am going to a DE event in 3 weeks and will not have my own trailer by then.

Has anyone rented UHaul trailers to take their car to the track? The UHaul site says that the trailer will not work for cars with 17in wheels. (I'm confused as to why the size of the wheels matter).

Any good/bad experiences or things to watch out for should I rent a UHaul trailer?

Or better yet, does any of the rennlisters in the Charlotte, NC area have a trailer that I can rent?

Thanks,

Brian Keith Smith
My 1983 930
Old 08-09-2001 | 02:06 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

FWIW I've seen guys trailering 911's with 17" wheels on U-Haul trailers. One that comes to mind recently is a 993 Widebody with 17" Fikses. I did not ask the guy if there were any problems however. Not the prettiest site but it seems to get the job done.
Old 08-09-2001 | 03:57 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree, it sure wouldn't be pretty, but it would serve my purpose.

You can't carry too much in a 930 with a roll bar/cage and racing seats.

Brian
Old 08-09-2001 | 04:02 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Brian, No email from the beach, but this still works. Talk to Chris (845-5608 work - I obviously don't want to put on his home number here) he rents a trailer for each event. It is the largest trailer place in NC that does most of the race team trailers. He will be your best bet. I think the prices are similar to Uhaul. Also, I now a guy who had a 964 turbo car that used uhual trailers all the time. No problems. Just ask them for a newer one. That was his only recommendation.

Good luck and let me know what you decide.

E. J.
Old 08-09-2001 | 04:12 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

EJ:

I've been talking to Chris on and off all week. The company he rents from is who I am going to buy my trailer from (probably after 1st of year). The trailer they rent doesn't come with tie down straps and they aren't willing to give me the deal they give Chris (even though I'm planning on buying from them and have tried to re-inforce this to them).

So, it looks like the UHaul route might be the easiest for me until I actually make my purchase - even though I don't like or prefer this option.

I'm going to continue searching for alternatives though.

As a side note EJ, the seats really make a difference in how you "feel" the car. Especially in corners.

Thanks for your suggestions EJ.

Brian
Old 08-09-2001 | 05:21 PM
Howard
Racer

Brian,

I've rented U-haul trailers for the last year,at least 7 events. My 911sc has 245/45zr 17's up front and 315/35zr 17's on the rear. Never had a problem, the straps up front loosen up while driving, so make sure you use the safety chains and it would be a good idea to add a couple of tie downs of your own. Also, stop every so often and check them. (I'm through renting now, it was a matter of throwing all $ into more HP and suspension mods.) good luck !
Old 08-09-2001 | 06:24 PM
Howard
Racer

Brian,

One liitle bit of info I forgot:
If you rent the trailer" one way" it's cheaper than returning it to the location you rented from. So if you have more than one u-haul in your area you can save a few bucks one way. FYI
Old 08-10-2001 | 01:44 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Brian,

On my drive back from the beach, I saw a budget and Ryder truck pulling rental trailers with regular cars on them. They both looked much nicer and newer than any Uhaul trailer I have seen. Might be worth checking out for a comparison. I would make sure you ask on the year of the trailer to make sure you get a newer one no matter who you use.

Sounds great about the seats. Cant wait to see them. When is the next event for you (I believe the first one with the new seats?)

Good luck, and let me know what happens.

E. J.
Old 08-10-2001 | 02:33 PM
Howard
Racer

Brian,
I checked some time ago about renting a Ryder trailer and I was told that they do not rent them unless you rent a truck as well, but they are nicer than U-haul trailers!
Old 08-10-2001 | 02:58 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK if you own stock in Ryder, sell it.

They do not rent accessories such as car carriers without renting a truck as well.

(kind of stupid if you asked me, but then again I'm pretty simple minded)...

Brian

Quick Reply: Trailering with a UHaul