Sponsored by:

Camber vs. Width help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001 | 11:21 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Post Camber vs. Width help

Road Course related:
  • I am wearing the shoulders on my front tires a bit more than I'd like.
  • I like the balance of the car right now.
  • I would prefer to use all of the fronts and thus hopefully get an extra event per set.
  • Tire rotation is not an option.
  • Flopping the tires on the rim is an option but how practical?

Basically, I would like to try an additional 1/2 degree of negative camber next time out. I have a feeling that a.) this will not be sufficient to get the front wear corrected and b.) if it is, I am going to be a lot more loose. In a nutshell, if I correct the wear issue, I have a feeling that I am going to be very tail happy. I probably have one event (two tops) left on these tires (Yok A032R's) and then I plan to go to Kumhos next. Currently, I am running a 225 front and 245 rear (~1 7/8 deg. neg front/~2 5/8 deg neg rear). I have 9.5" rear rims and can easily fit a 265 back there. Does anyone have a good idea of what that width increase in the rear would require in change of front negative camber?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2001 | 09:18 AM
Danno
Race Director

Looks like you have your front & rear cambers reversed. Just swap them and you'll be fine.

Best way to judge camber is to measure tire-temperatures across the tread in three places. Tire pressure should be set so that the average of the outside and inside shoulders should be the same as the middle of the tire.

Then if the outside is hotter than the inside, you want more neg. camber. If the inside is hotter, than outside, less camber.

I suspect that your front tires are too hot on the outside and the rears are too hot on the inside.

Also toe affects this as well. Too much toe can cause excessive outside shoulder wear as well. Rear should be very little toe, like 1/32" total. Front can be around 1/32" to 1/16" total toe.

And you won't have a tail-happy car because you'll have more grip in front with more camber, as well as more grip in rear with less camber. So you may have an increase of 5% front AND rear for the same balance.
Old 08-07-2001 | 09:15 PM
IPC
Instructor

I agree with Danno. I am running 3 deg. Neg front and 2 in the rear. I have a 944 also and run in "I" class in PCA Racing. Car handles great with good tire wear
Old 08-08-2001 | 01:49 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Regarding toe, I run 0 toe on the front and 1/32 toe-in rear. Regarding temps, I had a friend of mine take temps at VIR a few months ago as I came off the track and it was within 2 degrees on the fronts (inside - center - outside).

Problem with rear camber is that I cannot get anymore toward positive in the rear without taking the car up again and I don't want to do that. I am going to flop the fronts on the rims and see if I can get three more events out of them. The rears seem to wear perfectly across the tire with no roll so I somewhat like how that behaves.

I will try to inch my way up to -3 degrees front over the next several events and see how that affects things.

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Camber vs. Width help