Sponsored by:

Good auto for autox/de under $10k?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 02:46 PM
R. Miller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Good auto for autox/de under $10k?

I'm in the market for a new (new to me) car suitable for a daily driver yet good at auto x/de. I only plan to auto x once a month give or take a weekend. I have about $10K tops to spend. No real restrictions other than price though. I am in college and as such raise a measly income, low enough that I am beginning to shy away from the Porsche marque such as 951. I would think a turbo to be not that great as the spool time is a bit long for the short/tight autox course. However i don't want a car everybody has (read: HONDA Civic) unless it's got something different about it. So far I have the following in mind:
BMW 325is/318is/318ti I prefer the 325
Eclipse GTS/Eagle Talon TSi
200 SX SER
MR-2 Turbo
VW Jetta VR6/Corrado VR6

I think the 3000gtvr-4/300zx are great but way to heavy???

Any other suggestions of other cars or of those on my list is terribly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2001, 09:02 PM
Seattle944t
Advanced

The MR-2 Turbo does fairly well in A-Stock. With the coming changes for next year it should be doing really well.
The Eclipse/Talon AWD cars are OK in stock class, but can be seriously competitive in the Street Mod class with some tweeks.
Then there is always the older 1.6L Miata that can be had for well under 10K. Might even be able to find some descent 1.8L ones too. The Miata pretty much rules over any class it is put in.
The VR6 VW's are usually outclassed, but still fun to drive. I used to have a VR6 Corrado, I wish I didn't sell it. I will probably buy another one some day.
Have not seen much/any of the others you mentioned around here so I can't speak about them.
Hope you find something you like and have some fun
Old 08-02-2001, 04:18 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
How about a 924S? Gearing and all to pull out of the corners well, a little lighter than the 944 as I recall (in addition to the R+P)... I thought I read about these doing well in their respective class... also cheap enough (though keeping to the Porsche theme) that you cal also afford a set of spare rims w/ autox tires, plus shocks and such, while staying within your budget. Plus, you keep the utility of a very versatile car (more so than, say, an MR2).

Just a suggestion...
Old 08-03-2001, 01:57 PM
JGriff
Racer

How about a Porsche 914? Great for autocrossing, at least that's what I hear. (I haven't yet taken mine out on a course... I hope to soon.)

They certainly fit within the budget guidelines (maybe $5k for a car), with plenty of $$ left to modify/restore etc.

However, it might not suit you for daily driver duties (depending on where you live i.e. it's not something you'd want to drive in the snow), although many folks do drive them daily without a problem.

Jim

Quick Reply: Good auto for autox/de under $10k?