Sponsored by:

993 tt at VIR Viper days DE

Old 07-26-2001, 07:16 PM
Robert Lewe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 tt at VIR Viper days DE

Hello fellow listers: I had an incredible time at the Viper
days event at Virginia International Raceway. In addition to meeting Todd Serota, I had the distinct privilege of having him as my instructor for the entire event. His reputation is well-earned. Not only is he an awesome driver, but he is a very good teacher (not always a given). His tuition was calm and to the point and really gave me the confidence to drive hard. I really learned a lot. I also had the pleasure to meet fellow P-car guys Chris Brown (who's generosity saved the weekend for me), E. J. Feulner, John Huang, and Greg Fishman.
Saturday's driving was cut short for me when, going into the turn just
before Oak tree, we noticed a tire was flat. I pulled off the course to the inside, and waited for the tow truck. A flatbed came and I drove up (tearing off my license plate and damaging the rear fascia). "Clay" took us back to the paddock where we found that a four inch nail
had gone through the tread. Unfortunately, in the time it took me to
get off the course, I ruined the sidewall. I thought my weekend was over. Chris Brown came to the rescue when he offered to sell me one of his street
tires, (the same BFG G-Force KD's I was running). After a quick tire
remounting, we jumped into the car, this time with Todd
driving, when we saw that the steering wheel was cocked about 75 degrees to the right.
Eyeballing the front wheels, they appeared to be towed OUT about an inch on each side! It seems that the flat bed driver hooked his
chain around the left tie rod, bending it forward and causing the toe out. Fortunately, Todd had met a guy named AJ who had a 911 cup car
and his own mechanic, who had been a Porsche line mechanic for ten years, and who had
recently been running his own shop in San Diego serving Porsche racers.
Timothy removed the tie rod, hammered it straight, and reset
the toe in. Sunday was awesome! Todd drove the first session so I could get a better
feel for the line, and after that I drove about four sessions. I had an incredible time and was really worn out by the end of the day.
As I mentioned before, Todd was an incredible teacher, and very
patient. Everyone I met (Viper people included) were very friendly,
helpful, and quick to welcome me to what was my first "real" DE type event(I had
previously only done the one day Porsche Driving Experience at Road
Atlanta). Except for a few 'bumps in the road' I had a
wonderful time. I can't wait for Todd's Tracquest Day at Road Atlanta! And I hope things
work out so he can hold an event at VIR.

Robert Lewe 1997 993 tt
Rennlist # 010626-2792
Old 07-27-2001, 03:21 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Robert, you did great and we all had a great time...

It was great to meet you too and hope you remember that your experience is not typical af DE's. It does serve to remind all that it is worth the two minutes to use the tow hook from the tool bag in the bumper - you never know when youare going to need a tow or pull at the track. Here is a pic of your car at the event:

Hope to see you again soon.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:30 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
VIR is a wonderful track. Never let the tow guys hook up the cable. I never go onto the track without installing both my tow hooks. When the hooks are in I stay on the track. When I went off at VIR it was at tracking out of oak tree. Way off in the red mud. Tough to do at Watkins Glen.
Bill W
yellow 97 993
Old 07-28-2001, 05:18 PM
brucemckenney
Track Day

Hi Robert,
I'm glad you had fun with Viperdays. I'll accept part of the blame as I did the tech on your car and never thought about your tow hooks.
Strictly on a cost and relationship basis, check into a clinic now!!
By the way, Doctor; how many vasectomies will that Porsche part cost??
Bruce, Chief Steward

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 tt at VIR Viper days DE