Sponsored by:

Auto Power Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:24 PM
CLS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Power Roll Cage

I am looking into the area of a Roll cage/Roll bar to accommodate future DE requirements to have a harness in tracked cars. I found this Auto Power systems that are bolt together that would satisfy the requirement at a reasonable price. Can anyone offer opinion on there products, good or bad.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I have an autopower cage in my spec car, a Das rollbar in my street/de car, and just installed a Safety Devices cage in my rs racecar. The Autopower is a bit rough but gets the job done, but it attaches through the floorpan, rather than the doorsills, and the fit is a bit loose, but it is hard to beat the price. The Das is an older one that bolts to the front and rear seatbelt points, and sits on the doorsills, a must in my opinion, it does restrict the rearward movement of the seats however, if you are tall it could be a problem. The fit and finish is very good, it does restrict rear view in a coupe. I am very impressed by the Safety devices cage, I assume the rollbar ( or partial cage) would be just as nice. The fit and finish is beautiful, It is tight to the pillars and it fits to the sills.

All this said, you really need to make sure that you want to go this route, for most DE's harnesses are not really required, and you really can't use factory seats unless you have a gt3 or rs. I think a better solution for dual purpose is a race shell seat, such as a recaro pole position or spg, which you can get factory seatbelt mounts for. It holds you in just fine, it works for the street and track, you don't have any issue with lifespan of the belts. I would not run a cage on the street, sans helmet, a rollbar is ok, but you have to ask yourself what for.

anyway just my 02.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 PM
jester911
Drifting

Are you going to just a roll bar or a full cage? I bought an Autopower roll bar and after seeing that it bolted to the floor pans and rear wheel wells I decided to sell it. I bought a Das roll bar instead and I am much happier with it. You do not have to drill holes in your car to mount it.

It is more expensive but you may be able to find a used one. IF you are going to buy safety equipment you don't want to go cheap in that respect IMHO.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:48 AM
CLS
Advanced

Originally Posted by jester911
Are you going to just a roll bar or a full cage? I bought an Autopower roll bar and after seeing that it bolted to the floor pans and rear wheel wells I decided to sell it. I bought a Das roll bar instead and I am much happier with it. You do not have to drill holes in your car to mount it.

It is more expensive but you may be able to find a used one. IF you are going to buy safety equipment you don't want to go cheap in that respect IMHO.
Thank you for your input I wasn't sure how the Autopower mounted I don't like the idea I would have to drill holes in the floor board to mount. I am not looking to go cheap I just don't see the point to go all out for just DE events and that is the direction I see PCA going at least with everyone else following suit.

I love this forum I just saved me money by not buying something I wouldn't be happy with in the end. The plan is to check out the seats as well to accommodate a harness system.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:51 AM
CLS
Advanced

Originally Posted by J richard
I have an autopower cage in my spec car, a Das rollbar in my street/de car, and just installed a Safety Devices cage in my rs racecar. The Autopower is a bit rough but gets the job done, but it attaches through the floorpan, rather than the doorsills, and the fit is a bit loose, but it is hard to beat the price. The Das is an older one that bolts to the front and rear seatbelt points, and sits on the doorsills, a must in my opinion, it does restrict the rearward movement of the seats however, if you are tall it could be a problem. The fit and finish is very good, it does restrict rear view in a coupe. I am very impressed by the Safety devices cage, I assume the rollbar ( or partial cage) would be just as nice. The fit and finish is beautiful, It is tight to the pillars and it fits to the sills.

All this said, you really need to make sure that you want to go this route, for most DE's harnesses are not really required, and you really can't use factory seats unless you have a gt3 or rs. I think a better solution for dual purpose is a race shell seat, such as a recaro pole position or spg, which you can get factory seatbelt mounts for. It holds you in just fine, it works for the street and track, you don't have any issue with lifespan of the belts. I would not run a cage on the street, sans helmet, a rollbar is ok, but you have to ask yourself what for.

anyway just my 02.
Thanks for your input Richard I will look into the Das Roll bar I plan on replacing the seats to accomodate a harness system to go with a roll bar or roll cage.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 AM
CLS
Advanced

Originally Posted by jester911

Jester - Just did a quick look at Das Roll Bar website, which version of the roll bar did you buy the Race or the Sport. The Race version appears to allow more seat room to move the seat back, I am 6'2" so I need the seat all the way back. As I mentioned before I will replace the seats as well to accomodate a harness system. Did you put this in yourself? It appears to be a pretty easy DIY type job.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM
jester911
Drifting

Yes it is DIY. After removing the seats it takes less than an hour to install. You may need a hand just to get it into the car but after that its a snap.
My bar is the sport version. I bought it used but in perfect condition as he was going to a full cage. I am 6' and have no problems with the seat although I will probably go with a fixed back seat with 5 or 6 point harness capability.
The bar makes it very nice for attaching the shoulder belts from the harness to and as another bonus stiffens the car some as well.

One other thing to add. If you diy make sure to torque the bolts to proper values.
Also it may be advisable to buy new bolts of a proper grade. Mcmaster Carr is a good place for fastners of all types.

Last edited by jester911; 02-19-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 AM
CLS
Advanced

Jester - Thank you for the quick feedback as I said before my motivation is to put a harness system in so I will need to replace the seats so I am looking a a roll bar or cage. The race roll bar is cheaper then the sport I don't under stand that is it something to do with the finish?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
jester911
Drifting

CLS, I believe the sport version is the cheaper of the two. The race version comes with plates that have to be welded in and the bar bolts to that. The sport version bolts directly to existing points.
Check this site for more info.

http://www.cdoc.com/detail.asp?id=70...pes+%26+Targas

Quick Reply: Auto Power Roll Cage