Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question in regards to PSM

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 PM
CLS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've never heard of Pano is this a magazine I tried a Google search and it didn't come up with anything, possible an acronym for Porsche America Nothing Official (Pano)?

Craig
Old 02-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Panorama is the official magazine of PCA.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it was in Pano...I'll go back a couple of issues and check.

Are you a PCA member?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:28 PM
CLS
Advanced

I just join PCA yesterday! I looked on the PCA website under past publications and didn't find anything related to PSM. I'll keep looking thank you for your help.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Craig, you will get the Panorama the official national mag of PCA and you should also get some type of "local" club publication also. The local one will give you some idea of you regions upcoming events and DE's.
Also might be a thought to do some autocrosses. These are fun but once you have been at the track you may be disappointed!

Glad you posted here, I knew you would get some very good info!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
CLS
Advanced

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Craig, you will get the Panorama the official national mag of PCA and you should also get some type of "local" club publication also. The local one will give you some idea of you regions upcoming events and DE's.
Also might be a thought to do some autocrosses. These are fun but once you have been at the track you may be disappointed!

Glad you posted here, I knew you would get some very good info!
Thanks Tom for heading me in this direction, the level of discussion so far seem to be on a more professional level.

It's funny you mentioned the auto-cross I was just looking into that here for a possible interest for my wife and I. The closest PCA club to me seems to be more into auto-cross then the DE events, hence my research.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Veloce,
I don't think a novice should turn the PSM off, but I also don't think that any time it engages that a crisis was averted. Letting the rear step out a bit seems very normal and desirable. I think if a student takes the car past the point that PSM can correct merits serious discussion.
However, my opinion re leaving PSM on isn't the same in a ZO6. In our cars, with PSM engaged, trail braking still tightens the line. In a ZO6 Idrove last summer, trail braking to that point resulted in the car going straight. like a motor boat. That car has 2 levels of "PSM off". The normal "off" brings it to a point more like our car "on". There is some other fancy sequence to get it totally off-that I didn't try.
In a ZO6, I don't think I would drive aggressively without turning the most obtrusive level off. In our cars, you need it off in the wet to get the car to rotate, but in the dry, you can move pretty well with it on- the last tenth tho comes only "off". AS
Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Alex, I think we are actually on the same page on this. The PSM systems that I have encountered on various Porsches take a lot to get them to engage. So, in my experience, when they do engage in a way that is very evident, it is a sign that something major was just averted....and this is a safe way to have that learning experience.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, the systems from various manufacturers behave *very* differently. These systems are very similar in concept but very far apart in execution. The DSC in my M3 behaves very differently from the PSM in my Boxster. PSM is better, imho.

Just as there is a unique "feel" to a Porsche, there is a unique "feel" to each manufacturer's stability system. Each system has their own goals, even though the technologies are similar.

We tend to assume we're talking about Porsches here at Rennlist, as most everyone in this forum has one as their track car. One size, however, does not fit all.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:26 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CLS
Thanks Tom for heading me in this direction, the level of discussion so far seem to be on a more professional level.

It's funny you mentioned the auto-cross I was just looking into that here for a possible interest for my wife and I. The closest PCA club to me seems to be more into auto-cross then the DE events, hence my research.
Craig, you are welcome and enjoy! The autocross is a great idea. Some clubs even suggest 4-5 autocrosses before you start DE. Fun way to spend a day with the wife and family. Also a good opportunity for wife or kid to get to drive the car in a safe manner.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:28 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just don't forget that PSM won't save you in an out of control, but well ballanced, four wheel drift through the marbles crashing into the barrier. Common sense always wins over PSM, even with it on. Painful lesson.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:23 PM
brucegre
Banned

PSM actually stands for Physics Still Matters. As most have said here, leave it on until you can predict that it's going to engage, so you know what an imminent change in the car's stability feels like. It's true that there are some things you can't make the car do with PSM engaged, but they are all pretty advanced techniques at high speed and you need a lot of seat time to be able to execute them.

And don't forget - PSM can conquer pretty much anything but the laws of physics. That's a really nice car, PSM can help keep it that way for a little longer.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:13 AM
CLS
Advanced

Originally Posted by brucegre
PSM actually stands for Physics Still Matters. As most have said here, leave it on until you can predict that it's going to engage, so you know what an imminent change in the car's stability feels like. It's true that there are some things you can't make the car do with PSM engaged, but they are all pretty advanced techniques at high speed and you need a lot of seat time to be able to execute them.

And don't forget - PSM can conquer pretty much anything but the laws of physics. That's a really nice car, PSM can help keep it that way for a little longer.
Well it's very reassuring to get all these positive feedback from instructors as to leaving PSM on! Many people out side of the forum have tried to encourage me to turn it off but common sense so far has kept it on. As I have stated earlier I am so far very comfortable to leave it on, maybe when I have your level of experience I might be able to determine the difference.

Quick Reply: Question in regards to PSM