Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have an old pair of front Hawk Blue Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 03:47 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone have an old pair of front Hawk Blue Pads?

My last trip to the track, I experienced some pulsing about 10 minutes into each session. I've now come to the conclusion, thanks to Bill Groshian (excuse the spelling) at Cryogenics' frozenrotors.com that my problem is caused by switching pads.
My first set on these rotors were Pagid Blues, and now I'm on Pagid Oranges. Bill is adamant that I've got conflicting pad materials, and suggested I get someone's throw-away Hawk Blues and run them for a couple laps to clean off the gunk. It's worth a try, so if you've got an old set, let me know before you throw them out, and I'll pay the freight.

Thanks. Jim
Old 06-11-2001, 04:14 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Whoops.. I forgot, I need the pads for stock sized 993 front rotors.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Jim have you tried taking emory cloth to the rotors (I AM NOT SURE ON THIS)? It would seem that sanding or using emory cloth (ok, guess that's basically the same) would take off the old friction material.

Maybe I am confused but is there a reason he is saying that Hawk Blues will remove the Pagid material?
Old 06-11-2001, 05:20 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by jim sullivan:
<STRONG>My last trip to the track, I experienced some pulsing about 10 minutes into each session. I've now come to the conclusion, thanks to Bill Groshian (excuse the spelling) at Cryogenics' frozenrotors.com that my problem is caused by switching pads.
My first set on these rotors were Pagid Blues, and now I'm on Pagid Oranges. Bill is adamant that I've got conflicting pad materials, and suggested I get someone's throw-away Hawk Blues and run them for a couple laps to clean off the gunk. It's worth a try, so if you've got an old set, let me know before you throw them out, and I'll pay the freight.

Thanks. Jim</STRONG>
Jim, I have been there. My former mechanic's flunky put new rotors and pads on my car and proceded to bed them. Well he must not have known much about Pagid orange pads in that you need to bed them in slowly so that you don't transfer pad material to the rotors. My rotors felt like they were warped and I bought a new set at the track from Kelly Moss, (can you say, bend over)and sent the other rotors to Bill and he cleaned them up and got the old pad material off. Sorry I can't help with the brake pads, I am going to Hawk Blues but this next weekend will be my first event with them. I can confirm what he said is exactly what my vendor (Weston Motorsports) told me, that the Hawk Blues will remove any old pad material left behind. Good luck.

Greg
Old 06-11-2001, 05:23 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[/B]"Maybe I am confused but is there a reason he is saying that Hawk Blues will remove the Pagid material?[/QB][/QUOTE]

The hawk blues are a more aggressive compound that will "clean" the rotor of any old pad material.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:25 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Lightbulb

Or perhaps you could have the rotors VERY LIGHTLY turned by your shop - I would never usually do this, but if you trust the shop to only brush the surface, maybe this is the way to go ?

Quick Reply: Anyone have an old pair of front Hawk Blue Pads?