Sponsored by:

Race fuel for street use

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 11:43 PM
gaijin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Race fuel for street use

Feedback on use of race fuel (100 or plus octane unleaded) on street prep 911 Turbo. Which octane works best without adverse effects on fuel lines, injectors, etc.?
Old 06-09-2001, 02:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Gaijin:

Availability of race fuel seems to be somewhat regional but we have very good results in street cars using Sunoco GT-100 or Union 76 100 octane race gas.

Both products have similar Specific Gravities and RVP's with normal pump premium to maintain proper fuel mixtures without wholesale changes to your CIS system.

Both are compatible with the elastomers in the fuel system and have sufficient octane for your application.
--
Steve Weiner
Rennsport Systems
Old 06-10-2001, 01:41 AM
gaijin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the input. I have stock 911 Turbo (US 1979). Running stock boost. I take it will not harm the car? Would it be good insurance against knocks/pings? I know it is quite expensive but would you recommend a mix with quality premium unleaded. Or am I better off just staying with straight quality 93 octane? Just curious. I'm close to the mid-West and it get really warm here around July and August. I figure, every bit counts. I'm getting ready to install a fan-driven oil cooler and just finishing up a swap from stock thermal reactors exhaust to RoW stock exhaust.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi:

I will tell you that if I owned a Turbo tht did not have twin-ignition, I would use a mix of 50/50 race gas and pump premium gas all the time.

These things run SO close to detonation all the time and we usually find broken rings when they are opened up at rebuild time.

Better safe than sorry.
--
Steve Weiner

Rennsport Systems

Quick Reply: Race fuel for street use