Sponsored by:

Intersport Moving to LMP1 in Creation-Judd

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007 | 08:16 PM
gaijin
Racer

Default Intersport Moving to LMP1 in Creation-Judd

INTERSPORT MOVING TO LMP1 IN CREATION-JUDD

Eager to step up and face a new challenge in the American Le Mans Series, Intersport Racing has officially announced its move to the LMP1 class for 2007. The Dublin, Ohio-based team will field a Judd-powered Creation CA06H prototype for all 12 rounds starting at next month's Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

Team owner Clint Field made the announcement Wednesday. Intersport won the Series' 2005 LMP2 championship and the LMP675 title in 2003. The team also won the P675 championship at the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2004 and owns 20 class victories in the American Le Mans Series, fourth most among entrants regardless of class.

"We've thought long and hard about the team direction and have said for the past few years that we'd like to be in LMP1," said Field, the 2005 class drivers champion and part of the winning effort at Le Mans. "Granted, the numbers in LMP1 are down right now, but long-term we felt the class will see renewed growth. This is as good a time as any for us to develop our program. We know we can make the car fast; that's never been a problem for us. The focus is going to be on making sure were durable and reliable. I think our guys are very much up to the challenge."

The Creation chassis is a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive machine utilizing a carbon fiber and aluminum honeycomb monocoque chassis. The Judd GV5 is a 5-liter normally aspirated V10 and generates approximately 600+ bhp at 9,000 RPM.

"We chose the Creation after a lot of soul searching and study of last year's performance and lap times," Field added. "All in all, the car was very fast under most conditions. I think what really tipped the scales in favor of the Creation was the car has excellent mechanical grip. Looking at the schedule and the types of tracks we encounter in the American Le Mans Series, we feel that will be an advantage for us."

The team will take delivery of the car in next few days and begin their preparation for the season opener at Sebring. Clint will be joined in the car for the 2007 Twelve Hours of Sebring by his father Jon Field and Richard Berry.
Old 02-14-2007 | 08:30 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Congrats to Intersport and good luck.

I hope you guys do very well and help push the envelope, improving the cars, teams and the series.
Do you have a pic of the car?
Old 02-14-2007 | 10:14 PM
gaijin
Racer

Intersport is awaiting delivery of their new race car. Should be sometime this week.

I'll see if I can get a photo from them and post when available.

Jon and Clint Field are good people, and are both accomplished race drivers too. Should be a whole lot of fun to see them take on the P1 field starting with Sebring next month.

All the best for 2007 season!
Old 02-14-2007 | 10:40 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Privateers are stepping up to give the factories a run for their money in P1 and GT1! The Creation was very fast last year and should give Intersport a fine platform to compete with Audi. Same goes for the privateer Aston. I will definately TiVo the ALMS races this year!
Old 02-14-2007 | 10:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Damn! Who is funding this effort? One of Jon Field's projects?
Old 02-14-2007 | 10:46 PM
gaijin
Racer

I remember watching Jon give everyone a heck of a race last year. He is one fast, smooth driver!

Quick Reply: Intersport Moving to LMP1 in Creation-Judd