Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt vs. FAST Cooler System

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 PM
bravocharlie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Shirt vs. FAST Cooler System

I'm looking at a cooling system. There appear to be two manufacturers: FAST and Cool Shirt

Which one is better and why?
Price is not an issue.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

I have used both. Neither is better. FAST allows you to get a Carbon X shirt with the tubes, which IMO is more comfortable that a Nomex shirt with the tubes. Cool Shirt seems to be a bit more common, however.

Down side of both: their fast disconnect connectors are NOT compatible with each other, so you will need adapters if sharing a car with someone who has the competing system.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have used both. Neither is better. FAST allows you to get a Carbon X shirt with the tubes, which IMO is more comfortable that a Nomex shirt with the tubes. Cool Shirt seems to be a bit more common, however.

Down side of both: their fast disconnect connectors are NOT compatible with each other, so you will need adapters if sharing a car with someone who has the competing system.
Ahh, just don't be so cheap & buy one of each type of shirt.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What I can't figure out is that the Carbon X shirt keeps you from catching on fire, but is able to cool you down with ice water....

Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Has anyone ever tried pumbing the seat itself, as well as the underside of the shoulder harness straps? I recently took out my AC, and I'm putting together a system that's going to attempt it.

It seems like an effectively cooled seat might eliminate one danger of the cool shirt connection, considering that most drivers don't get the quick release cut-offs.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Has anyone ever tried pumbing the seat itself, as well as the underside of the shoulder harness straps? I recently took out my AC, and I'm putting together a system that's going to attempt it.

It seems like an effectively cooled seat might eliminate one danger of the cool shirt connection, considering that most drivers don't get the quick release cut-offs.
How about an electric a/c unit blowing cold air into your suit and your helmet? That would eliminate having to carry an ice bucket and would never run out of cooling! I wonder how many BTUs it would have to be?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:22 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I don't think cooling air is efficient enough if you're not using a permanently installed system. My plan is evaporator-to-water, with a Sawafuji compressor and some of the guts from a 12V freezer like truckers (and Australians) use.

On cool days, the whole system will lift out. On hot days, it can have ice added as a boost. But for long trips (I drive to the track), I'm hoping it will provide just enough cooling to keep the driver from going nuts from the California heat.

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That looks cool! I like the technology behind it. I wonder if you could just buy a small refrigerator with that compressor & put a pump in it?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:36 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I did. But I want to install it in the trunk, and the whole cooler won't fit there -- so I'm going to break it up and do some fabrication. I found the pictured compressor/condensor/evaporator on ebay for $25, and bought it as 'extra parts' in case I break something while taking the unit I purchased apart.

I think if racing is your only application, though, the 12V cooler isn't going to do the job quickly enough. For long trips, replacing ice is a nuisance. But at the track, I think it makes more sense to cut the weight and only use ice and water.

Sorry about the thread hijack. I've seen both the Cool Shirt and the F.A.S.T. system, and I didn't see any significant difference at all.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ahh, just don't be so cheap & buy one of each type of shirt.

Well, if folks here would invite me to co-drove more, maybe I'd have a justification to do so!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking along the same lines Jack, but you would need an alloy seat to make it work ...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I don't think cooling air is efficient enough if you're not using a permanently installed system. My plan is evaporator-to-water, with a Sawafuji compressor and some of the guts from a 12V freezer like truckers (and Australians) use.

On cool days, the whole system will lift out. On hot days, it can have ice added as a boost. But for long trips (I drive to the track), I'm hoping it will provide just enough cooling to keep the driver from going nuts from the California heat.

what's the current draw on that 12v system jack .
Old 02-15-2007, 04:51 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

0.5 to 3.9 amps (max). And I'll be losing the amperage draw of the compressor clutch, the evaporator blower motor and the front condenser blower motor.

The BTU question is the one I can't get an answer to.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Jack keep us Posted, great Idea!!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I was able to plug my Cool Shirt into a FAST system no problem.

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt vs. FAST Cooler System