Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tire Sizes For 17" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 11:27 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tire Sizes For 17" Wheels

I'm just about to buy a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires for the coming DE season. I'll be running them on 17x8 ET-52 front and 17x9 ET-55 Rear Stock Cup Wheels. I was planning on buying 225/45-17's for the front wheels and 255/40-17's for the rear wheels.

My car is a 97' 993 lowered to RS ride height, with semi aggressive alignment settings. I'd appreciate input on this setup (size and balance front to rear) from anyone who is running something similar.

TIA

JF
Old 02-24-2003, 08:08 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post
JF,
Since no one else responded to your question, I'll give it a shot.

I haven't purchased my MPSC's yet, but the tire sizes you specified are the most logical for your wheel size based on what I've seen and heard. In fact, I don't see any other options for you!

FYI, I will be ordering exactly the same size tires for my 964 with 7" fronts (not 8"). I fear that I might get some rubbing, but hope that it could be corrected with camber adjustment if necessary. I have the option of going down to 205/50-17's, but would prefer a little more "meat" up front.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Erick
Old 02-25-2003, 09:16 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
JF I have this setup on my car and have run already a couple of track weekends on them. How the car will handle depends on your suspension and alignement. For example I have the H&R coilovers paired with the M030 sways ,lowered to RS height with -1.7 front and -2.3 rear setup.
The car with these specs and size tires is very neutral. The tires need a couple of laps at least to warm up, till that time they flex a lot and feel funnym but after they are warm they are sticky like crazy. I'm very pleased with how they wore as well...
Hope it helps, good luck!
Old 02-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a tri-region (NY-Metro, NNJR, CVR) PCA tire tech this past weekend with a rep from Michelin who presented information specifically about the Pilot Sport Cups. Here are some tid-bit's of information may find helpful:

Camber: recommended camber: 1.5 to 3 degrees negative, 4 degrees negative max. (Extreme camber is not necessary on this tire due to the structure of the sidewall). Anything more will cause exessive inner tread wear.

Recommended tire pressures:
Cold: 25-28 psi
Hot: 32-36 psi.

Optimum temperature range:
160 - 220 degrees Farentheit

If you are not trailering your car, you can drive with the PSC's on to the track, but Michelin recommends adjusting your tire pressures to factory recommendations.

For rain and autocross application:
Increase tire pressure by 6-10 psi for both rain and autocross applicatoins.

Heat Cycling is not necessary with the PSC's.

Hope this helps,
-Zoltan.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:55 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The rep also reiterated the notion of maxing out a given wheel width. Specifically I asked him about 7" wheels, which tend to be the max for 205s, but certainly can handle 225s. He said to absolutely go with 205s. You get almost as much contact patch with better sidewall stability and lower weight. FWIW, the F1 tire sitting there cetrainly bore out that recommendation. Looked like a 12" tire on 14" wheel. Very pronounced trapezoid shape.

Stef
Old 02-26-2003, 11:00 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
What 993's came with a 8X17" wheel? It sounds as though thats what I need for the front?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stefang: I didn't know you were at the tech! Where were you sitting? I was the guy who asked the question about using a non-staggered tire setup, among other questions.

And yes, Doug Brown said it is best to max out your rim. It's more important than going with a wider width tire.

-Z-man.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tire Sizes For 17" Wheels