Sponsored by:

OBD II Data Logger connection - 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default OBD II Data Logger connection - 997 GT3

I was planning on using this cable to connect into the tach signal for my g2xtreme data logger. Basically connect it to the OBDII port, run the cable back to the logger, clip the other connector end off, and use the wire from pin 9 to the RPM sensor wire coming out of the logger and solder them together. There is also a power and ground available from in the OBD cable. Can I use these? The wires are a pretty small gauge, so will draw from the data logger be too large? Otherwise I can easily draw power from the 12v socket in the center console. Thx for opinions
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2007, 02:49 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldn't get power from obd port. it would be safer to use the 12v outlets under the glove box or in the center console.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

Before you go through the effort - Stack have a datalogger which plugs directly into the GT3 ECU and retrieves more data than via the ODB2 port.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

+1 on powering from the center console or cig lighter. IIRC there is a max current draw a device could/should take from the OBD port, and it was less than the G2X would need (at least on my 996GT3).

I actually use the cig lighter, got one of those plugs from Radio Shack with a switch and LED on it so it is easy to turn on/off and see the power status. Also, you can get blank OBD2 plug kits from Peake Research if you want to make a custom cable.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Swedeboy
Before you go through the effort - Stack have a datalogger which plugs directly into the GT3 ECU and retrieves more data than via the ODB2 port.
Already have the logger, and looks like stack is overkill for what I need (DEs only), but nice unit.

Looks like I'll use the Cig Lighter as planned
Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swedeboy
Can you post a link to this stack unit?

I have a stack setup in my 996GT3 RS sequential but wouldn't mind taking the street car on track once in a while to work on lines etc instead of the expensive RS
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan,

I use the cigarette lighter option to power the DL-1, although I later hard wired it. I did not use power through the OBDII
Old 02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Ryan,

I use the cigarette lighter option to power the DL-1, although I later hard wired it. I did not use power through the OBDII
Cool. With this cable won't need your help with this, but thanks for the prior offer.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Can you post a link to this stack unit?

I have a stack setup in my 996GT3 RS sequential but wouldn't mind taking the street car on track once in a while to work on lines etc instead of the expensive RS
http://www.stackltd.com/
Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 AM
cbracer
Intermediate

OBDii pinout info: http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_OBDii.html

Yes you can grab tach and power. There is both always on 12v and switched 12v, I would recommend the switched 12v. This is capable of 5 amps before blowing the fuse, much the same as the cigarette lighter. Make sure you use chassis ground and not sensor ground.

Most cars have a CAN bus that you can splice into. All your engine and speeds come through this CAN bus, but only more expensive loggers like the Stack and Motec have this capability.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
I'm probably being thick but I can't see anything GT3 specific. Is it the CAN module you're talking about?
JM
Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracer
OBDii pinout info: http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_OBDii.html

Yes you can grab tach and power. There is both always on 12v and switched 12v, I would recommend the switched 12v. This is capable of 5 amps before blowing the fuse, much the same as the cigarette lighter. Make sure you use chassis ground and not sensor ground.

Most cars have a CAN bus that you can splice into. All your engine and speeds come through this CAN bus, but only more expensive loggers like the Stack and Motec have this capability.
Ryan, we can do this if you buy that other cable kit we discussed.

Quick Reply: OBD II Data Logger connection - 997 GT3