Sponsored by:

Umbrella Policy/Coverage for Club Racers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 PM
jk968
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umbrella Policy/Coverage for Club Racers

I am looking for some input/guidance on obtaining an umbrella policy as a club racer. I won't name my insurance company at this point, but they have my vehicles, home owners, flood and business insurance at this time. I approached them about getting an umbrella policy and as soon as they learned that I had a race car, they declined to offer the coverage. I even explained the waivers that we sign at the track both on behalf of the track owners and sponsoring club. Although they asked for a copy of the waivers, they still declined to offer me the umbrella policy "as long as I own the race car." They wouldn't even consider writing an exclusion to any racing activities.

Here's the kicker!! Since then, I have spoken with several club racers in different states insured by the same company who have umbrella policies. These racers say that their insurance company knows about their race car and club racing activities and had no problem getting coverage.

Where should I go from here? Should I challenge this issue with my insurance company (of course without naming names of my club racer friends)? If so, what would be the best approach? Are there companies out there that you guys have had success with. Any guidance is appreciated.

John
Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 PM
jk968
Track Day

Anyone? I could really use some advice or suggestions on obtaining an umbrella policy as a club racer.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:58 AM
jester911
Drifting

I am not speaking from personal experience but from doing a lot of reading and talking with other drivers I think what is going on now is most insurance companies are not allowing any new policies to be issued.
They are also in the process of weeding out the old ones.
Even if you have the policy if you make a claim you have a high probability of being canceled. In the next few years there will most likely be no coverage to be had.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:10 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an umbrella but never offered the information that I club raced. Did they ask about hazardous acitivities?

Never hurts to shop insurance anyway. I'd call around for all of your coverages and some competing quotes and if they don't ask, don't tell.

Quick Reply: Umbrella Policy/Coverage for Club Racers